Adblocking innovation

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
You can enable or disable such a feature in Edge settings.
I disable it and in typo i just get search results from my search engine (Startpage). No addons or tweaks needed. This also prevent miss typed URLs
I don't disable it but mostly search from the engine itself. Occasionally I use address bar, usually when I know the url.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
You can enable or disable such a feature in Edge settings.
I disable it and in typo i just get search results from my search engine (Startpage). No addons or tweaks needed. This also prevent miss typed URLs

Thanks mate! What's the setting called?

EDIT: Looked it up myself. Already have the Suggest Similar sites when web address cannot be found. Already have that enabled. I'll just add some block rules for some common mispellings I do or just use the bar and search for the site.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
FYI : It appears that the issues and feature requests for Privacy Possum continue to pile up slowly with no responses from the developer. I suppose this extension is still reliable for blocking trackers and referers, but I question it's ability to counter etags and fingerprinting (at least in Chromium builds). However, I don't know of any really good defenses against these two types of tracking.

Edit: I don't know how well Firefox does with these?

Last edited:

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I've been using the ff. addons for Firefox following advice in various threads, and sometimes (maybe around 5 pct of sites) I still get newsletter and cookie popups or content (either embedded videos or the page text) not showing up, and to solve that I had to either figure out which script options to block in uBO, block specific elements, activate a filter list in uBO, or whitelist one of the addons. I'd like to know if there's a way to streamline the number of apps and filter lists used and minimize breakage. I've been using the ff.

CanvasBlocker - yesterday, the yellow bar showed up for one site stating that it was slowing down the browser; in forum comments, I think it was pointed out that there's something wrong with the code in the site, and there's nothing they can do about that; I can't see a quick way to whitelist a site in the toolbar button.

ClearURLs - I used to search for an image in Google, and middle-click one result to see it in another tab. Know, everything only point to the Google page. I disabled the addon filter and cleared the cache but the problem persists.

CookieAutodelete - I think this one is fine, although lately even with Youtube whitelisted when I open the browser and go to Youtube, settings for disabling autoplay and turning on dark theme revert to default;

CSS Exfil Protection - I think I disabled it for one site but can't remember the details.

HTTPS Everywhere

LocalCDN - I had to disable it for around seven sites, and I just found out that I had to (I think) generate a rule set for uBlock Origin;

Nano Defender - I followed instructions to make this work with uBlock Origin. I can't remember seeing any "disable adblock" warnings lately, although I'm not sure if it's because this is working or something else is blocking those;

Privacy Possum - I remember disabling this for a few sites, but I can't remember which ones.

Privacy-Oriented Origin Policy - I had to whitelist two sites.

uBlock Origin - I tried to follow the advice given in a recent set of tweets, so I used it in default mode but with the ff. filter lists - my filters (containing mostly elements for banner ads and cooking and newsletter notifications that weren't blocked by thei lists), all built-in filters, for ads Adguard Base (which blocked ads in one site) and EasyList, EasyPrivacy, Online Malicious URL Blocklist, Adguard Annoyances (blocked popup notifications in one site), Easylist Cookie (blocked cookie notifications in some other sites), uBlock Filters - Annoyances (blocked annoyances in another site), and Peter Lowe's ad and tracking server list. The total's around 90k network and 110k cosmetic filters. I had around a dozen other lists in the custom section but they are all disabled.

Finally, I installed Pi-Hole with the OISD blocklist (around 1.2 million domains), and it reports around 5% of queries blocked, with one site that had to be whitelisted. In two or three occasions, one or two websites loaded faster when I switched to Cloudflare DNS using DNS Jumper in Win 10.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

A new list:
Create EU_US_most_common_trackers

Due to new sources the domain count bumped over 3000, so I added a new file name witthout mentioning a top number.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@Windows_Security (when you are still looking)

I went to an uncle this afternoon which I had uBlockOrigin installed with your Top500 list and Easlylist Dutch only, because of the above post of @security123 in which you announced to remove the Top500 blocklist. I was surprised by heavy rain on my bicycle. Arrived like a drowned cat (or fox in my case) at my uncle's place to discover ....................... That Kees1958 had removed the warning and had updated the Top500 blocklist and instead removed the Top3000 :unsure:

1598722411032.png

So now I have removed Chrome with uB0 and installed Edge chromium on his PC with anti-tracking in 'balanced mode'.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

On Pale moon with uBO Legacy i'm getting this from Kees's list.

View attachment 245668View attachment 245668
Pale Moon is highly insecure and not recommend. It's based on old unmaintained Firefox code which even has several security issues on latest version.
Pale Moon use old extension model which allow unsigned extensions which aren't maintained by original maintained for years.

Pale Moon doesn't provide any advantages

9724anon7537

Level 2
Verified
Jun 12, 2018
Pale Moon is highly insecure and not recommend. It's based on old unmaintained Firefox code which even has several security issues on latest version.
Pale Moon use old extension model which allow unsigned extensions which aren't maintained by original maintained for years.

Pale Moon doesn't provide any advantages

None of what you wrote it's true, and to name just one advantage it has compared to other browsers is that is very lightweight and fast.

I did't make my last post to argue about Pale moon though.

• HaHa
Reactions: ForgottenSeer 85179
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

None of what you wrote it's true, and to name just one advantage it has compared to other browsers is that is very lightweight and fast.

I did't make my last post to argue about Pale moon though.
I post you true facts. If you believe that or the lies from a one-man-browser-show, it's your way.

Just trying Kees' list ... why do I get broken link in uBO (Firefox) - is this not the correct link?
You need to use the raw file which is:

Reactions: paulderdash

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Just trying Kees' list ... why do I get broken link in uBO (Firefox) - is this not the correct link?

That's the one. You can just copy and past in the raw. link in Import

E

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Lol, seems we're all trying to provide the link.

Trialing without 1Hosts and FirstParty list as some browsing slowdowns and overlap but works fine so far with defaults and Most used list with my medium mode tweaks :)

Reactions: Protomartyr

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Last edited:

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
(y) Excellent, thanks!

Edit: Thanks all. I normally include lists via filterlists.com ...
Currently only phishing_army_blocklist and this in Custom.
Otherwise standard lists, medium mode.
Btw - is there any advantage to subscribing via filterlists.com (picked up tat tip elsewhere), instead of directly via github ... if so, could Kees' list be made available there?

Reactions: oldschool
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

As posted in past, "Top500" is going EoL:
NOTICE: I have all my relatives converted to the larger list (with nearly 5000 domains), so I am planning to remove this top500 version on black friday (27th Nov 2020)

"EU_US_most_common_trackers" is the successor.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Privacy Possum for Chromium appears to be history:

Privacy Possum removed from chrome web store? #272

This change may be due to Manifest V3, though it's not mentioned here.

Now only available in Firefox, if you care to use an unmaintained extension. Who knew the "good old days" were not that long ago? :(

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.