Question Adguard app for IOS compatibility with system private dns

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
I have never used an IOS device before,so I wanted to know something regarding the use of Adguard app in Ios.
For Android, even if dns filtering is turned off in the Adguard app it filters ads for all apps and browsers.
But for Ios , It will only filter browser ads and not app ads if dns filtering is turned off. So ,now if dns filtering in IOS is turned on but set to use system default dns only, and adguard or any other filter is used with the dns requests blocking feature and the IOS system private dns is set to say Quad9 dns. Then will the user be able to use Quad9 dns alongside system wide ad blocking in this way in IOS with adguard app?

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Yes, if DNS filtering is turned on in the AdGuard app and set to block DNS requests for ads and trackers, and the iOS system's Private DNS is set to Quad9 DNS, AdGuard will be able to work alongside Quad9 DNS and offer system-wide ad blocking for both apps and browsers. However, please note that Private DNS is only available in iOS 14 and later versions.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I have never used an IOS device before,so I wanted to know something regarding the use of Adguard app in Ios.
For Android, even if dns filtering is turned off in the Adguard app it filters ads for all apps and browsers.
But for Ios , It will only filter browser ads and not app ads if dns filtering is turned off. So ,now if dns filtering in IOS is turned on but set to use system default dns only, and adguard or any other filter is used with the dns requests blocking feature and the IOS system private dns is set to say Quad9 dns. Then will the user be able to use Quad9 dns alongside system wide ad blocking in this way in IOS with adguard app?
I can tell you my experience with Adguard for iOS, my browser is Safari on mobile and the chosen DoH provider in the Adguard app is either from Quad9 or NextDNS. The Adguard app does block all ads while browsing on Safari including the ability for cosmetic filtering to block something annoying on websites. I cannot see any ads displayed in other apps for iOS. Note: I don't use the official YouTube app rather prefer to use my browser to listen music or watching videos from YT.

SohanRay

Level 5
Thread author
Mar 19, 2022
I can tell you my experience with Adguard for iOS, my browser is Safari on mobile and the chosen DoH provider in the Adguard app is either from Quad9 or NextDNS. The Adguard app does block all ads while browsing on Safari including the ability for cosmetic filtering to block something annoying on websites. I cannot see any ads displayed in other apps for iOS. Note: I don't use the official YouTube app rather prefer to use my browser to listen music or watching videos from YT.
Ohk ...but could you try using the ios default private dns and keep the dns set to default system dns in Adguard app and try dns leak test? Also do use the dns filter lists ....its a small change but actually its a more secure setup.. I'll tell you why ...if the setup works...

Reactions: silversurfer

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Ohk ...but could you try using the ios default private dns and keep the dns set to default system dns in Adguard app and try dns leak test? Also do use the dns filter lists ....its a small change but actually its a more secure setup.. I'll tell you why ...if the setup works...
I use DNS filter lists only via the Adguard app for iOS or my user account of NextDNS, but don't want to fiddle with other apps... For me there is no DNS leak with iOS default settings nor through the Adguard app, I tried to check for DNS leak from my iphone on both websites: BrowserLeaks , DNS leak test

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.