New Update AdGuard Browser Extension - Stable Updates Thread

AdGuard
381 Replies 129,291 Views
AdGuard Browser Extension 5.5.3.3


I have not noticed any difference yet since upgrading to MV3.
But after the upgrade, my previously imported filters were not working. It was fixed after disabling the Custom option, enable it and then forcing a filter update.
 
AdGuard changed their scriptlet injection approach!

I have sometimes talked about small chunk versus large chunk approach for injecting javascript for cosmetic rules and scriptlets. uBOL uses small chunks for both and let the browser decide what to allocate per website. AG used a large chunk and injected 1 big chunk for all websites (and browser selects what to apply). I am using small chunks for cosmetic and large chunk for scriptlets. Large chunk has debugging and static analyses advantages at the cost of a little overhead and larger memory use.

I had an idea (which performance benefits were to low for maintenance predictability disadvantages), so deep dived in both extensions to see how they solved something.

I discovered that AG now injects a tiny bit of javascript in every page and dynamically allocates the needed resources for that page. So it now also applies small chunks, but it does not let the browser allocate but do it themselves (which has the advantage that the extension controls firing order which increases predictability of results)

I immediately checked the memory usage of AG but that is still as large as it was. So it seems that they are simulating the new small chunk approach using it within the old large chunk system.

Running new logic using existing data format has the advantage that you can test and check in real world environment.

When their filter builders have a parallel and serial option and the small javascript module also, they can first test releases using serial (large chunk) and promote to web store with paralel (small chunk) switch active.
 
Last edited:

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top