Thread author
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
AdGuard browser extension 4.0.64 beta pre-release:

Meet AdGuard Browser Extension v4.0! It’s not a mere update, but a major release that delivers a pack of new features to the users of the extension.

Code refactoring and new filtering engine​

Refactoring has become sort of a buzzword that implies massive code rewriting, which we did to complicate our lives and make it easier in the long run. Besides, we added support for TSUrlFilter, our new filtering platform that implements AdGuard content blocking rules.

TSUrlFilter is a filtering engine. In AdGuard apps, its role is performed by CoreLibs, and if happen to read release notes, you must have heard about it more than once. TSUrlFilter is a rule application module that will be used in various projects, including AdGuard DNS.

Responsive design​

We switched to responsive (or adaptive) design. That is to say, that interface elements will adapt to screen size both on desktop and mobile devices, redardless of the model.

This is convenient both for us, because we don't need to develop separate versions of the Browser extension, and for users — it's always nice when an app (or a browser extension, in the case given) looks good.

Redesign and new Filtering log​

Now the filtering log not only сomplies with the principles of the responsive web design, its overall appearance has changed significantly. If you used the former filtering log, you'll be able to tell the difference: the new version presents searching in tabs, many new request statuses and filters that facilitate finding the needed requests. New filters and statuses are highlighted, and and tooltips explaining each one pop up when hovering a cursor over them. Apart from that, you can preview requests and format them in the same dialog — clicking the "Beautify" button makes it easier to read these requests.

The editor in the User rules section can now be opened in fullscreen mode, which makes working adding, editing, and deleting filter rules much more convenient. Finally, there is a new action on the AdGuard Browser Extension popup that allows to reset all the user rules for the currently opened website in one fell swoop.

Besides, now the AdGuard Browser Extension features dark theme that everybody loves so much.

Support for new modifiers after switching to TypeScript​

"Still don't get what makes TSUrlFilter better than the previous filtering engine?" the most curious may ask. Probably, the main advantage is te new modifiers: $removeheader, $redirect-rule, $ping, $path, $noop, and $denyallow. And the $redirect modifier has been significantly improved, so now all the $redirect rules for a website can be cancelled by applying @@||example.org^$redirect.

Apart from the above-mentioned, Hebrew and Finnish localizations were added.

This version already has a hotfix for a rather severe bug of the initial v4.0 beta build. It blocked access to web pages misreporting them as phishing ones due to Safebrowsing bug:

• [Fixed] Extension v4.0 safebrowsing cache migration issue #1890.

How to install beta:​

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
Switched back to AdGuard Browser Extension from AdGuard Windows to try v4. Only side issue to decide on is whether to set up secure DNS in Browser (Brave & Edge) or use a DNS client (YogaDNS).

Reactions: Venustus and amirr

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
@JasonUK Why you decided to not use AdGuard for Windows?
No particular reason other than to check out the browser extension which I've used previously :) There is a slight time-lag when loading webpages using AdGuard for Windows compared to uBlock Origin or AdGuard Browser Extension in my experience. If the ad/tracking protection is pretty close to desktop version in v4 may switch to the extension for a while.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 92963

When uBlock also implemented the $removeparam URL filtering option of AdGuard, GorHill warned that one badly crafted removeparam rule would be as cpu intensive as 10.000 wel contructed rules. Because I like to use as few rules as possible and the Adguard URL Tracking protection list contains over 90 generic removeparam rules (generic rules are often called badly crafted rules) I always doubted between one-setup for both my easy and hard edge profiles or use a best blocking extension for browsing purpose.

With Adguard v4 having an improved rule processing engine, I finally settled for using the best extension for my browsing purpose profile:
- Hard mode profile: uBlockOrigin in hard mode without any adblock filters in uBO, because I have Edge tracking protection on strict
- Easy mode profile: Adguard v4 with two default lists and three custom lists with Edge tracking protection on default

Default AG lists:
- AdGuard URL tracking filter
- Legitemate URL shortener

Custom Lists
- EU US most used ads & trackers ABP format (link)
- Easylist allowlist (link)
- EasyPrivacy allowlist (link)
- LennyFox's allow list Dutch payment services (link)

User Rules
- Copied AG base filter rules for Youtube

Total rule count is just above 8000, with no website breakage because I added the Easylist allow lists. I really like the new filtering log. It was very easy to copy the AG base rules for youtube (just start youtube and see which requests are blocked/modified and copy them to User Rules).

1638014877967.png

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 92963

I also asked for a simpler user interface option simular to uBO Simple popup GUI · Issue #1908 · AdguardTeam/AdguardBrowserExtension

My wife finds the 'extra information' distracting. She holds two Master degrees (in Psychology and HR) so not a dumb 'Sheila' but a typical I hate confusing technology kind of PC user ("technology designed by men, who see to little sunlight and women" when she complains about IT or Tech).

1638019652938.png

Last edited by a moderator:

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
It's interesting to see how v4 beta is changing some of the user rules that I had set up in v3 when copied across ~ examples of each change below together with comment what original rule was aiming to achieve! The TLD's blocked are taken from Spamhaus' list of most abused TLDs at The Spamhaus Project - The Top 10 Most Abused TLDs

! --- Block downloading executable content from insecure HTTP websites
|http://*.exe^$empty

Becomes:
|http://*.exe^$redirect=nooptext

! --- Block all on much abused country code TLD's. The TLD is between ||* and ^$, e.g. ||*.AM^$
||*.cn^$all

Becomes:
||*.cn^$document,popup
||*.cn^$csp=script-src 'self' 'unsafe-eval' http: https: data: blob: mediastream: filesystem:
||*.cn^$csp=font-src 'self' 'unsafe-eval' http: https: data: blob: mediastream: filesystem:
||*.cn^

I won't pretend to understand structure of new rules but they block the TLDs effectively enough (same blocking screen as AdGuard for Windows). Blocking the TLDs are probably unnecessary to be honest as chances of visiting most of them are slim to nil so I might delete those anyway.

Last edited:

amirr

Level 26
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Switched back to AdGuard Browser Extension from AdGuard Windows to try v4. Only side issue to decide on is whether to set up secure DNS in Browser (Brave & Edge) or use a DNS client (YogaDNS).
Thanks for your input. Today, I started getting ads on YouTube, while Adguard for Windows is installed.
Decided to give AdGuard browser extension v4.0 (Beta) a try and ads again disappeared. I don't know what went wrong with Adguard for Windows today.
I think I will use AdGuard browser extension. Is it free? I paid for Adguard for Windows, but I dont see anywhere saying that the AdGuard browser extension is free.

Also, thanks and now I can get back to KIS and enable these settings mentioned this thread:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Does AdGuard Browser extension, requires Adguard for Desktop to be installed?
Can I enter the same license I have for Adguard for Windows, to activate AdGuard Browser extension?

Adguard browser extension works independent and it's free to use, same as other well-known adblockers like AB+ or uBO.
Your Adguard license isn't required ;)