Serious Discussion AdGuard Desktop for Windows -- Tips and Tricks

Burrito

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Didn't he not like Adguard because it slowed down his really really fast internet?

Right you are Handsome R.

Sly is not a fan.

Sly has apparently partially retired from MT --- too bad. Even with the tin foil stuff... he's smart and a good fellow MT'er..

1579826282928.png

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

It may have slowed his browsing down by a few milliseconds. Not an issue for 99% of people, but he cares about things like that.
And in the meantime, he goes through the hassle of setup a Pi-Hole server with 1 million block rules...
Me? Adguard , cost me 30$ lifetime, 5mn install and setup, works both on my PC and Android devices, do the job as well, and at least i won't see myself carrying my Pi-Hole server with me. LOL

There is always some dudes criticizing and looking down some very useful and popular apps because they like show off a fancy and unorthodox (and often more complicated) method to do the same...

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
And in the meantime, he goes through the hassle of setup a Pi-Hole server with 1 million block rules...
1579843568668.png

Pretty sure pihole's less unorthodox than Adguard and you can use a VPN to connect to your pihole.

If it's that fast it shouldn't affect his connection whasoever, like mine.
Maybe his internet is so fast that anything less has become slow.

Me? Adguard , cost me 30$ lifetime, 5mn install and setup, works both on my PC and Android devices, do the job as well, and at least i won't see myself carrying my Pi-Hole server with me. LOL
Makes sense for him though. He complains about some antivirus slowing down his internet and pihole also affects Linux or whatever unannounced distro he uses.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
But it does actually slow things down. Like i said, more so if you add some additional filters. Adguard itself warns that things would be slower. The default filters are fine for adblocking but to completely get rid of a browser side extension I need to add two three annoyance filters, frogeye's first party trackers and then it becomes too much for Adguard.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
For what I know Chromium based browser extension does not support all advanced options, firefox extension supports some more, but desktop suports all advanced functions and allows you to add the Adgard PopUp blocking user script in the desktop without any additional stuff to install (like a user script manager).

The $ping and @badfilter are not support in the Desktop version, so when you want to disable specific rules installing the extension with integration mode would be beneficial.

------------ I looked at Desktop version, but I am very please with the the DNS + just the AG extension

To be honest, even on an old dual core celeron laptop, using Adguard extension in Edge-chromium with just Kees1958 Top500 and Adguard DNS, I see very few ads even with malware/phising protection enabled I don't notice any delay.

There is a simple and easy trick to add some specific rules for the websites you visit a lot, when you would only like to use the Kees1958 Top500, procedure is as follows: Search Easylist + Annoyances and Adguard basis + Annoyance + Country specific blocklists (also of Adguard and easylist)
for the domains names in your bookmarked websites, simply copy the rules (e.g. into your USer Rules).

Result: With Adguard DNS + less than 700 rules I have a fast & snappy ad-free internet experience

-

cryogent

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
Have you had any experience with AdGuard (v7.4.2) limiting internet speed to quarter that provided by your ISP? (two computers , different network cards)
-ISP speed: 1000Mbps
-Speed with Traffic filtering + WFP driver: 400Mbps
-If I add how much is lost through VPN at work (because I work from home) I get to 200Mpbs with drops.

The only thing I could do to stop the bandwidth was to uncheck "Traffic Filtering" + "Use WFP network driver", but ticking "Use AdGuard as an HTTP proxy" works fine.
Does using AdGuard as an HTTP proxy make filtering weaker or insecure?

Last edited:

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Have you had any experience with AdGuard (v7.4.2) limiting internet speed to quarter that provided by your ISP? (two computers , different network cards)
-If I add how much is lost through VPN at work (because I work from home) I get to 200Mpbs with drops.

The only thing I could do to stop the bandwidth was to uncheck "Traffic Filtering" + "Use WFP network driver", but ticking "Use AdGuard as an HTTP proxy" works fine.
That's awesome speed 👌. Disabling WFP driver will result in some drop in filtering quality with respect to "https" websites. You can also try Nextdns to filter along with adguard. ( inform this to adguard support through your account)
(Slow Internet Speeds With Adguard Enabbled)

Last edited:

superleeds27

Level 6
Verified
Apr 5, 2017

Had this issue on the Laptop with Wifi, not so much on the Desktop with LAN.

I've since binned off AdGuard altogether, and just gone with uBlock.

Virtuoso

Level 2
Feb 21, 2022
But it does actually slow things down. Like i said, more so if you add some additional filters. Adguard itself warns that things would be slower. The default filters are fine for adblocking but to completely get rid of a browser side extension I need to add two three annoyance filters, frogeye's first party trackers and then it becomes too much for Adguard.

Can you check if the Adguard desktop app still slows down the connection? they must have improved it in the last two years since this discussion, there is a nice offer on stacksocial which brings down the price for Family Plan Lifetime version to $16 after coupon.

Reactions: SeriousHoax

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.