Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Version 0.3.13:
In this version, we've fixed the display of some settings elements and added minor improvements. Now everything looks nice again and works great (as always).

Changelog​

• [Fixed] Settings options do not display intended description #15

Install stable version from store​

• Chrome

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
Unfortunately it's in uBO lite (Manifest V3) not possible to use Medium Mode. In AdGuard MV3 Extension one can use a filter rule that does correspond to uBO's Medium Mode:

1668278218162.png

To prevent broken links I have whitelisted most regular domainextensions:

1668278513320.png

The downside of this whitelisting is that you shouldn't use in AdGuard MV3 Extension, filterlists with third party blocking rules. Many of those rules would be overruled by the whitelist. Other lists, e.g. Eaysylist Cookie List, work well together with the whitelist.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

@Jan Willy

I have played with a similar idea when I tried out AdGuard_MV3. Your idea worked reasonable well because I used AG_MV3 only for cosmetic filtering on websites I visit a lot. The bulk of the blocking is done in my browser (Edge blocking advertising and tracking networks) and my DNS (NextDNS privacy filters allowing affiliate ad and tracking networks but blocking many website specific stuff using NextDNS, AdGuardDNS and OISD filters).

I used the exact same rules (from NL also), but i made the allow exceptions for all websites which I had bookmarked or for which I had created cosmetic rules with AdGuard_MV3 red crosshair feature (which helps to create cosmetic rules in the user rules section of AG_MV3). Your rules would look like:

! your generic block rule
||*$third-party,script,subdocument

! TLD allow exceptions excluding my bookmarked domains
@@.com^$script,subdocument,domain=~bookmark1.nl|~favorite2.com|~starredwebsite3.org|~websitewithCosmeticRuleAdded.net
@@.eu^$script,subdocument,domain=~bookmark1.nl|~favorite2.com|~starredwebsite3.org|~websitewithCosmeticRuleAdded.net
etc

This has the advantage that I did reduce the third-party medium mode attack surface reduction for websites I normally don't visit, but keep the benefit of AG's blocklist for the websites I visit a lot (e.g. news websites and websites with IT-news). Using this in combination with DNS-level and browser build-in blocking it was a reasonable replacement for uBo's smart-medium mode (the thread of Windows_Security which is a sticky in this forum). I say reasonable, because every time I added an exception, I had to add this domain to all eight TLD allow rules.

I guess we just have to wait and see how AG_MV3 and uBO-lite pan out. AG_MV3 is much more mature functionality wise than uBO-lite. It is also funny to see the different development principles of those two great extensions (AG-team focusses of functionality first and optimize afterwards, Gorhill focusses on optimization forst and offer functionality afterwards). When I had to choose right now I would opt for AG_MV3.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
I say reasonable, because every time I added an exception, I had to add this domain to all eight TLD allow rules.
Whitelisting most common domainextensions is just a matter of convenience. Only using the block rule means that in cases a site doesn't show up well because of blocking a third party script or frame (subdocument), you have to whitelist that specific third party domain. E.g.: @@||example.com^$script,subdocument,third-party. A complicating factor is that AdGuard MV3 Extension doesn't log events (yet). So it's not immediately clear which third party site it concerns.

Last edited:

Virtuoso

Level 2
Feb 21, 2022
@Jan Willy

I have played with a similar idea when I tried out AdGuard_MV3. Your idea worked reasonable well because I used AG_MV3 only for cosmetic filtering on websites I visit a lot. The bulk of the blocking is done in my browser (Edge blocking advertising and tracking networks) and my DNS (NextDNS privacy filters allowing affiliate ad and tracking networks but blocking many website specific stuff using NextDNS, AdGuardDNS and OISD filters).

I used the exact same rules (from NL also), but i made the allow exceptions for all websites which I had bookmarked or for which I had created cosmetic rules with AdGuard_MV3 red crosshair feature (which helps to create cosmetic rules in the user rules section of AG_MV3). Your rules would look like:

! your generic block rule
||*$third-party,script,subdocument

! TLD allow exceptions excluding my bookmarked domains
@@.com^$script,subdocument,domain=~bookmark1.nl|~favorite2.com|~starredwebsite3.org|~websitewithCosmeticRuleAdded.net
@@.eu^$script,subdocument,domain=~bookmark1.nl|~favorite2.com|~starredwebsite3.org|~websitewithCosmeticRuleAdded.net
etc

This has the advantage that I did reduce the third-party medium mode attack surface reduction for websites I normally don't visit, but keep the benefit of AG's blocklist for the websites I visit a lot (e.g. news websites and websites with IT-news). Using this in combination with DNS-level and browser build-in blocking it was a reasonable replacement for uBo's smart-medium mode (the thread of Windows_Security which is a sticky in this forum). I say reasonable, because every time I added an exception, I had to add this domain to all eight TLD allow rules.

I guess we just have to wait and see how AG_MV3 and uBO-lite pan out. AG_MV3 is much more mature functionality wise than uBO-lite. It is also funny to see the different development principles of those two great extensions (AG-team focusses of functionality first and optimize afterwards, Gorhill focusses on optimization forst and offer functionality afterwards). When I had to choose right now I would opt for AG_MV3.

What do you think about "optimal" vs "complete" mode in uBOLite? For a normal user who wants to block stubborn ads on shady websites which mode will be preferable?

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

@Virtuoso

I think it is in general a good idea to offer different levels of filtering. You can either choose to run complete mode and drop back to optimal mode for websites when it breaks website functionality (advanced user) or run it in optimal mode and increase filtering for nasty websites (informed user). The beauty of this flexibility is that you can use what fits you best. So well done Mr. Gorhill (y)

I would like Microsoft to adopt this idea of offering diefferent filtering levels per website for their anti-tracking also. Advanced users could run it in STRICT and fallback to BALANCED when they run into problems. It is much smarter than a ON-OFF switch alone. CNN for instance would not play videos, when Edge was set to STRICT in the past (it is no problem anymore). They only thing I could do with just one filtering level is to use the feedback button and switch of Edge build-in anti-tracking for CNN. Providing an option to fallback to a less aggressive level of filtering is a much more sophisticated solution IMO.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
A month ago, my setup was AdGuard Manifest V3, NextDNS with AdGuard DNS Filter and NextDNS Custom List, I don't care about cookies. Two days ago, I disabled AdGuard Manifest. My surfing is faster, and the ad blocking is nearly as good. I use Chrome and Edge.
I checked my ad blocking on PC Mag website, which has a ton of publicity and, so far, so good. No issues with aesthetics.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

FYI

I tried AdGuard_MV3 to test Jan Willy's easy medium mode (excluding my bookmarked websites) and noticed the CPU usage of the service-worker has dropped substantially on my PC
(Running AG_MV3 with Edge anti-tracking on strict and NextDNS privacy filters of NextDNS, AdguardDNS and OISD), so it seems AG-team has done some optimizing (y)

Virtuoso

Level 2
Feb 21, 2022
FYI

I tried AdGuard_MV3 to test Jan Willy's easy medium mode (excluding my bookmarked websites) and noticed the CPU usage of the service-worker has dropped substantially on my PC
(Running AG_MV3 with Edge anti-tracking on strict and NextDNS privacy filters of NextDNS, AdguardDNS and OISD), so it seems AG-team has done some optimizing (y)

Earlier when I compared Adguard MV3 vs uBOLite, uBOLite was much faster than Adguard MV3. What is the situation now after various updates on both the extensions?

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I saw today on Chrome web store: AdGuard MV3 version 0.3.16

No info nor changelog yet
Thanks, for the update (y)
Unfortunately with this version the extension's own options page doesn't load anymore for me with MS Edge.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Thanks, for the update (y)
Unfortunately with this version the extension's own options page doesn't load anymore for me with MS Edge.
I am sorry, I haven't noticed that before, but same issue for me on both Edge and Vivaldi :( Hopefully, a new fixed version coming soon...

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.