New Update AdGuard publishes the world's first ad blocker built on Manifest V3

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Or Brave. Built-in adblocker not dependent of MV2 or 3.

True, but the cosmetic filtering is not there yet. Brave and Vivaldi use rust independently of mv3, if I'm not mistaken. So, maybe this is addition to the built-in functions of either browser would pair well since there is an element picker with AdGuard mv3.

Last edited:

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
It might just come down to being the lesser of two evils for you then; a closed source MitM app versus obviously inferior (compared to MV2). That just might be the only two choices there are, if even Firefox chooses to adopt mv3 eventually.
They will move to MV3 but as per their words will retain current adblocking technique/provide alternate technology for the same adblocking capacity on top of mv3. If they won't do this, there is no point using firefox any further.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I'm using Edge with tracking on strict with the AdGuard Browser Extension v3 0.3.11.
The combination of a browser with an adblocker (Brave, Edge) and this extension is the best combination for a chromium-based browser for me.

If you have any issues with this extension, please report them to AdGuard.
(You can do that from the three dots in the extension)

Unfortunately new rules means a new (version) of the extension, that is one of the limitations of manifest V3.

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I'm using Edge with tracking on strict with the AdGuard Browser Extension v3 0.3.11.
The combination of a browser with an adblocker (Brave, Edge) and this extension is the best combination for a chromium-based browser for me.

If you have any issues with this extension, please report them to AdGuard.
(You can do that from the three dots in the extension)

Unfortunately new rules means a new (version) of the extension, that is one of the limitations of manifest V3.

Now that you mention it, how would that work with a custom imported filter?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Now that you mention it, how would that work with a custom imported filter?
Good question, I don't know...

Example of a bug report:
The bug reports are not optimized for the MV3 extension, so they couldn't reproduce the bug first :(
Now you have to wait for an update of the extension.
That's why reporting bugs at this stage is so important.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
@n8chavez
So, maybe this is addition to the built-in functions of either browser would pair well since there is an element picker with AdGuard mv3.
I do not know if the in-built adblock system of Brave is reliant on MV2 permissions and architecture.
Brave adblock is built into the browser with Rust, i.e. it is not an extension, and therefore is completely independent of MV2 or MV3.
GitHub - brave/adblock-rust: Brave's Rust-based adblock engine

Technically, its adblocker is called 'adblock-rust'.
Native Rust module for Adblock Plus syntax (e.g. EasyList, EasyPrivacy) filter parsing and matching.
adblock-rs

Last edited:

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
This is exactly what I needed to know. I switched to Brave last week because of all the MV3 stuff going on. I thought Brave had the best ideas as far as adblockers go. I did read here that Brave had the better built-in adblocker but was curious if it was still based on or dependent on Google. Brave is working great for me. Thanks for the info @oldschool.

C.H.

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
It still seems to be working fine here. But one thing I can see being a major problem is that, because there's no logger, you can't create an allow rule which bypasses a filtering rule. So, there's only two options: filtering enabled or filtering disabled. If there's any kind of problem with a site you'll not be able to see which rule is creating the issue and bypass it with a custom one. All you can do is disabled filtering altogether. Right? Or am I just retarded? (It's probably the latter)

Reactions: oldschool

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
If there's any kind of problem with a site you'll not be able to see which rule is creating the issue and bypass it with a custom one. All you can do is disabled filtering altogether. Right? Or am I just retarded? (It's probably the latter)
Currently, disabling filtering is your only option, but if you choose to build the extension yourself and install via developer mode you can see which rules have been applied and manually add a custom rule.
Due to the fact that Chrome itself now blocks requests and shares statistics only with extensions unzipped and installed in Developer Mode, we can't implement the filtering log as we used to. But we can come up with a peculiar alternative, which we plan to do in the final version of the extension.

So, when you open the filtering log, an engine that works by the rules of Manifest V2 will be launched. It won't do anything with the requests, only show which rules may have been applied. By comparing the Chrome statistics with the results of the old engine, we will get a rough picture of how requests are processed.

The current version of the prototype does not implement a filtering log. Instead, filter developers will have to use the mechanism recommended by Chrome developers. The point is that you can still get information about which rule triggered. But there is a caveat: you need to install the extension in an "unpacked" form. That is, you will need to clone our repository, "build" the extension, switch the browser to Developer Mode, and only in this case you will be able to use the tools for debugging filters.
AdGuard publishes the world's first ad blocker built on Manifest V3
GitHub - AdguardTeam/AdGuardMV3: AdGuard browser extension prototype based on the new Manifest V3
Also, we can't say what future developments will possibly introduce new (old) features.

Last edited:

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
@n8chavez

Brave adblock is built into the browser with Rust, i.e. it is not an extension, and therefore is completely independent of MV2 or MV3.
GitHub - brave/adblock-rust: Brave's Rust-based adblock engine

Technically, its adblocker is called 'adblock-rust'.

adblock-rs
Thank you @oldschool

I do not have the advanced technical knowledge so I wrongly assumed that since the brave adblocker is based on ublock origin code it might have some dependency on MV2.

I stand corrected (y)

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I sent a bug report to Adguard re: MV3 version and have to say their support team is prompt and personal. (y) (y) Very smart to have this kind of support these days.

The bug I reported was re: Edge crashing when trying to close a single tab, which happens so frequently no matter what web page I'm on, I'm convinced it's a problem with Edge. Maybe sleeping tabs or some other feature is the cause.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
For what I understand, rules have to be coded into the extension. It dowsn't allow dynamic rules.
There are 'curstom filters' and custom 'user rules'. I'm not sure I know the difference.
1663369269206.png

Last edited:

Mystic

Level 4
Verified
Aug 25, 2022
I will not use Adguard desktop for two reasons: firstly it is a paid and closed source software while the extension is free and open source. Secondly it works on the Man-in-the-Middle concept which I and many others on this forum don't like. I do the same with my Antivirus regarding MITM certificate hijacking.
Exactly my thoughts. I am using NextDNS now without any adblocking extensions. The only annoyance is some blank spaces on some websites, but other than that everything is great.

Reactions: oldschool

Mystic

Level 4
Verified
Aug 25, 2022
I believe other Chromium-based browsers should start to be less dependent on Google. It would be great if Brave or Vivaldi build their own extensions store, or better have a universal store that any Chromium-based browser can use. If things stay the way they are now, I believe every other browser, including Firefox, will follow Google on folded knees, unfortunately.

Reactions: Andrew999

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.