New Update AdGuard publishes the world's first ad blocker built on Manifest V3

F

ForgottenSeer 77194

So can we add custom filter lists as usual in Adguard or µBO?
1663370443718.png

it seems so but it's limited to 5000 rules >.<
You can read more here:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
View attachment 269404
it seems so but it's limited to 5000 rules >.<
You can read more here:
I've read the linked article. How did you get it imported? I tried FilterLists | Subscriptions for uBlock Origin, Adblock Plus, AdGuard, ... and it didn't work.

Reactions: Sorrento

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
One other thing, that might not matter to many people, is that the changes in rules cannot be carried over from one session to the next if you are sandboxing your browser. So any changes to your user rules will get wiped out each session. I will never (ever) net without sandboxie, and excluding the mv3 directory does nothing. Oh well, this is yet another reason I use Librewolf.

Mystic

Level 4
Verified
Aug 25, 2022
His sources are old and outdated. You can find many similar old posts. Choosing Firefox as your main browser, it makes sense you wouldn't use Brave.
Event hough the sources are outdated, but generally they give an idea of how private Brave is. What about the biggest scam "digital currencies" and all that nonsense included in Brave? I know they can be disabled, but why include all that bloat in a Web browser?

The only Chromium-based browser that I would use is Vivaldi. Though bloated, it has not done anything shady. Here is Vivaldi's stance in crypto currencies.
Screenshot_20220917-200103_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Reactions: Captain Holly

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
What about the biggest scam "digital currencies" and all that nonsense included in Brave? I know they can be disabled, but why include all that bloat in a Web browser?
I agree about the crypto but nonsense bloat is included in every chromium browser and even FF, to some extent.
Personally, I find Vivaldi almost too customizable. Great for power users but I never took to it. Maybe I'll give it another go, who knows?

L

Local Host

There is a lot of difference between MV3 Adguard extension and MV2 Adguard/Ublock Origin extensions. Just compare by running these two tests back to back:

Those tests are useless in comparison to real world results and Adguard is not going to waste rules on testing pages.
When you first install Vivaldi, it asks you "how much browser" you need. I always go with the essential, the least bloated setup.
Is still bloated, it just hides the stuff in the background but is still there.

Mystic

Level 4
Verified
Aug 25, 2022
Those tests are useless in comparison to real world results and Adguard is not going to waste rules on testing pages.

Is still bloated, it just hides the stuff in the background but is still there.
Exactly. Firefox is my default browser, but if I had to use a Chromium-based browser, that would be Vivaldi, not Brave, not Opera and not anything else. Arguably, some people love to use Vivaldi's "bloat", but it's their choice.

Reactions: n8chavez

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
Exactly. Firefox is my default browser, but if I had to use a Chromium-based browser, that would be Vivaldi, not Brave, not Opera and not anything else. Arguably, some people love to use Vivaldi's "bloat", but it's their choice.
We are getting into off-topic territory here because the thread is about addons but I have to say that I find Vivaldi to be the most buggy chromium fork out there. Also the most daunting with options. I want to browse the web, not spend a week configuring my browser like it is an Arch-based distro..

Edge is my go to driver, I do not care if it is developed by MS, as I do not care much about privacy overall (lost cause). I even use it on my Ubuntu media center PC.
Opera is trying too hard with extras that I do not use and the built-in adblocker is mediocre, Brave is interesting due to the well implemented built in adblocker but ugly AF and the whole BAT crypto thing is giving me the wrong vibes.

I would use Firefox all day long but incompatibilities with government, banking and corporate websites are a huge no from me. And I believe it is in a slow death trajectory, unfortunately.

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
Consider Firefox tweaked, ETP set to strict (turn off for some sites if needed), multi-account containers, and uBlock Origin or Adguard.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
There was an update to version 0.3.12 today.
No changelog yet, but my looopings.nl bug is fixed.
There were some problems with the options windows reported on Wilders:
Remove and reinstall the extension solves that.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.