Adguard v6 RC2 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimW 1

Dec 29, 2015
If HTTPS filtering/Certificates install is required to block ads on HTTPS sites then Adguard is not for me.
Why certificates install/HTTPS filtering is required to block ads on HTTPS sites? How browser extensions like uBlock Origin block ads on HTTPS sites without installing certificates/HTTPS filtering?

And does uninstalling Adguard &/or disabling HTTPS filtering removes installed certificates?

I removed AG and found that the Certs were still present in Firefox and were easily removed. Opera/Chrome uses the same method as IE and had to be removed in Windows which required an extra step of adding and using a snap in for the Management Console in Windows, this was explained easily in the Help section of the Internet Properties Control Panel Content Tab.

Reactions: Hangtooth

From ADGuard
Verified
Developer
May 23, 2014
If HTTPS filtering/Certificates install is required to block ads on HTTPS sites then Adguard is not for me.

No problem, I may agree or disagree, but I totally understand your position:)

Why certificates install/HTTPS filtering is required to block ads on HTTPS sites? How browser extensions like uBlock Origin block ads on HTTPS sites without installing certificates/HTTPS filtering?

The same applies for Adguard browser extension and for any browser extension out there. Extension works on the browser level and it does what browser allows it to do. Block requests, uses content script for page post processing and such. FF does not restrict extension access to the page content. There is no restrictions for HTTPS or incognito mode also.

And does uninstalling Adguard &/or disabling HTTPS filtering removes installed certificates?

It does. Yet I've just seen @JimW 1 answer, so we'd better double-check what's done with FF cert storage.

D

Deleted member 2913

No problem, I may agree or disagree, but I totally understand your position:)

The same applies for Adguard browser extension and for any browser extension out there. Extension works on the browser level and it does what browser allows it to do. Block requests, uses content script for page post processing and such. FF does not restrict extension access to the page content. There is no restrictions for HTTPS or incognito mode also.

It does. Yet I've just seen @JimW 1 answer, so we'd better double-check what's done with FF cert storage.
Is it possible for a desktop ad blocker to block ads on HTTPS sites without filtering HTTPS/installing certificates or it simply isn't possible?

H

hjlbx

@hjlbx

That's soooo weird. How can i check it on my side? Do I need your bank account to do it?

@avatar

Any type of logging or network utility, like Wireshark or similar, capture useful infos ?

I just have a basic learn-by-doing knowledge of browsers, networks, webpage connections, etc.

You know, slug your way over the mountain type learning... LOL.

H

hjlbx

@avatar

I can provide name of bank.

Not sure how they would receive request from soft developer.

I can make queries if you like.

You know you have to deal with IT Loss Prevention. They assume everyone - even customers - are criminals trying to hack their bank... LOL.

From ADGuard
Verified
Developer
May 23, 2014
Is it possible for a desktop ad blocker to block ads on HTTPS sites without filtering HTTPS/installing certificates or it simply isn't possible?

Almost impossible. We can do it in a very limited way then (like how Adguard for Android now works): inspect first TLS packet, get a domain name from it and block requests to the blacklisted domains.

From ADGuard
Verified
Developer
May 23, 2014
@hjlbx, let's move this discussion to some private space then.

You can reach me directly by email: am at adguard.com.

Any type of logging or network utility, like Wireshark or similar, capture useful infos ?

First of all, I'd like to understand how the issue looks (screenshot will be enough).
Then I'll be able tell you what information may be useful.

H

hjlbx

@hjlbx, let's move this discussion to some private space then.

You can reach me directly by email: am at adguard.com.

First of all, I'd like to understand how the issue looks (screenshot will be enough).
Then I'll be able tell you what information may be useful.

If I use Adguard, bank will let me access the account for a short while.

Afterwards, they disable my online banking.

Reason: IP address masking.

So, in this case, there is no screenshot.

PM sent at Adguard.com

From ADGuard
Verified
Developer
May 23, 2014
Wow, that's harsh.

What do I suggest:
1. First of all, what's your online bank address? You'd better add the whole domain to SSL exclusions in Adguard (and we will also add it to default exclusions list in the next version).
2. Also we will add your bank domain name to exceptions list in Adguard ad filters to make sure that AG does not interfere with it at all.

H

hjlbx

Wow, that's harsh.

What do I suggest:
1. First of all, what's your online bank address? You'd better add the whole domain to SSL exclusions in Adguard (and we will also add it to default exclusions list in the next version).
2. Also we will add your bank domain name to exceptions list in Adguard ad filters to make sure that AG does not interfere with it at all.

@avatar - I sent PM to you at Adguard.com. I am in the field so I might not return your messages\posts for a while.

Bank website (there is login on this webpage and also a different one below (2 different ways to login to online banking). There is also an app for Windows and Adroid phones.

Huntington Bank: Online Banking, Checking and Savings | Huntington

Online banking login:

Huntington Online Banking

What else can I provide to assist ?

N

NOLF92

I'm contemplating whether I should get the lifetime license, or to simply go with a one-year trial run. I loved the week I tried it, so... hm.

From ADGuard
Verified
Developer
May 23, 2014
@hjlbx that would be enough, thank you!

On your side: add huntington.com to SSL exclusions. To check if it's properly excluded open their site and examine the ssl certificate shown in address bar.
On my side, I've added it to ad blocker exclusions.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I'm contemplating whether I should get the lifetime license, or to simply go with a one-year trial run. I loved the week I tried it, so... hm.

It depends if you are still unsure of commiting this product. IMHO, Adguard Lifetime Premium is definitely worth to pay for. If you ask MT members ard who uses Adguard, you will mostly receive very positive comments about them.

D

Deleted member 178

what makes a software popular?

- Eficiency : Adguard is efficient
- Usability: adguard is easy to use
- Support: as you can see here , the dev team is quite responsive, @avatar is answering rapidly to questions and issues even outside their own forum. i can't tell the same for other products...

N

NOLF92

It depends if you are still unsure of commiting this product. IMHO, Adguard Lifetime Premium is definitely worth to pay for. If you ask MT members ard who uses Adguard, you will mostly receive very positive comments about them.

Oh I don't doubt the efficiency of Adguard. It's one of the best products I've ever tested. So I've made my decision, I'm going to go ahead with a 1-year license, and then perhaps upgrade to a lifetime license shortly afterwards. It works out for both us, I get a 1-year trial run to reassure myself that it is the awesome product that I know it is, and AG gets a little extra money from me not initially getting the LL. By the way, we appreciate you taking so much time to address our communities questions regarding your product, Avatar. Keep up the good work!

Last edited by a moderator:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I have been trying it out thanks to the good folks at Adguard and have to say it is an excellent program and definitely one worth spending money on.Works great on my desktop and laptops.
I have a lifetime license(purchased) for Android and by far and away the best adblocker on a stock Android and one of the best on a rooted Android.
My dealings with them have been pleasant and they are very responsive and accommodating.Hard to find that these days from many companies.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Oh I don't doubt the efficiency of Adguard. It's one of the best products I've ever tested. So I've made my decision, I'm going to go ahead with a 1-year license, and then perhaps upgrade to a lifetime license shortly afterwards. It works out for both us, I get a 1-year trial run to reassure myself that it is the awesome product that I know it is, and AG gets a little extra money from me not initially getting the LL. By the way, we appreciate you taking so much time to address our communities questions regarding your product, Avatar. Keep up the good work!

And also getting a 1yr EAM license for you to try :D

N

NOLF92

And also getting a 1yr EAM license for you to try :D

I forgot about that! I can't argue with another program to experiment with. I already have their emergency kit, but I've never actually tried the full product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.