New Update AdGuard v7.11 for Windows: ARM support, AdGuard VPN tab, DoH filtering, and more

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
AdGuard v7.11 for Windows boasts a handful of significant enhancements: AdGuard now can run on ARM-based computers and filter encrypted DNS-over-HTTPS requests. We’ve also added the AdGuard VPN tab, updated CoreLibs and DnsLibs, and made the app look and function even better.

ARM support​

In this version, we’ve added a driver that allows AdGuard to run on ARM-based Windows devices. Now, if you install AdGuard on your computer with a 64-bit ARM processor, we’ll automatically detect this and install the right driver. You can just relax.

Windows on ARM

What ARM is​

ARM is a processor architecture designed for fast operation, relatively low cost, and minimal power consumption. ARM is used on Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac devices, game consoles, TVs, routers, and some other devices. To install a program on an ARM-based device, you need a special driver. Now we’ve built one for Windows, too!

Who can benefit from our ARM driver​

First of all, those who have ARM-based Windows devices. AdGuard 7.11 for Windows will also work on macOS devices with M1 if you use a virtualization software on it: for instance, Parallels Desktop with Windows.

AdGuard VPN tab​

Having an ad blocker that blocks ads and trackers, a VPN that makes you anonymous, and a DNS that doesn’t let third-party DNS providers know what websites you visit is a perfect privacy protection combo. And AdGuard is gradually becoming a tool that allows you to manage all three. You can choose your own DNS server in your AdGuard app — now it’s time to manage your VPN there, too.

If you already have an AdGuard VPN app installed on your computer, now you’ll be able to open it from your AdGuard app. If you don’t have it yet — here’s a chance to get to know our product closer and download it.

AdGuard VPN in the AdGuard app

And there’s more yet to come: in future versions, we’re planning to add an option to manage the VPN connection from within the AdGuard app. Stay tuned.

Filtering of encrypted DNS requests​

Now AdGuard can filter encrypted DNS-over-HTTPS requests on top of plain DNS requests. To turn this option on, tick the “Enable filtering of secure DNS requests” checkbox in the Advanced settings.

Other improvements​

We’ve also had a major update of CoreLibs and DnsLibs, added the dark theme for some dialog boxes, improved the Assistant, and fixed minor bugs. As always, you can find the full changelog on GitHub.

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
I just submitted a support request to Adguard about this because it is still happening on Microsoft Edge after the latest Adguard for Windows update, so I am using Malwarebytes Browser Guard to block those YouTube ads (its ad blocking is not that good, but it does block YouTube ads after a brief delay).

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I've got a paid for Adguard VPN account that I haven't used much recently, because it does not play well with other VPNs that are installed. If it is installed other ones like Windscribe and Surfshark refuse to work on a Win 10 device, both have advised me to uninstall other VPNs, part of me says this is them trying to kick a off rival from my machine, the other part sees that this could be the cause of the conflict. In the past I could have several VPNs installed and swich to a different one without any problems, this is not the case now.

My question here is - has anyone used Adguard VPN through the main Adguard GUI successfully while thay have other VPNs installed on their Windows device, when they've found like me that they did not work alongside each other?

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
I don't use Edge and this is not happening on Firefox for me with Adguard 7.11. I tried spoofing the browser to look as if it was Edge and various Chrome based browsers, I couldn't replicate it.
Interestingly, it stopped happening yesterday after updating the filters again, but it started back today when I opened Microsoft Edge right after turning on my computer; but it fixed itself once I exited Microsoft Edge, and opened it again.

Maybe I need to wait longer the computer starts up before I open Microsoft Edge, maybe Adguard needs more time to activate itself after turning on the computer.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Interestingly, it stopped happening yesterday after updating the filters again, but it started back today when I opened Microsoft Edge right after turning on my computer; but it fixed itself once I exited Microsoft Edge, and opened it again.

Maybe I need to wait longer the computer starts up before I open Microsoft Edge, maybe Adguard needs more time to activate itself after turning on the computer.
Adguard isn't the quickest application to complete its intialisation among those that I have set to start up during the boot process, its not a significant time, a few seconds slower than the majority of them at the most. It could be that it does need longer to become operational like some AAs may be, as they are embedded deeper and more widely into the system.

Have you had a reply from Adguard yet? They can be quite slow in getting back to you.

Is this the first time that you have seen what you described last Wednesday?

How about a re-installation?

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Adguard isn't the quickest application to complete its intialisation among those that I have set to start up during the boot process, its not a significant time, a few seconds slower than the majority of them at the most. It could be that it does need longer to become operational like some AAs may be, as they are embedded deeper and more widely into the system.

Have you had a reply from Adguard yet? They can be quite slow in getting back to you.

Is this the first time that you have seen what you described last Wednesday?

How about a re-installation?
I would think that it could filter once it activates, instead of having to exit any programs that were opened before it activated completely, but even refreshing pages minutes later would not do it when I had tried; only a full exit of the browser.

So far today, YouTube ads slipped through when I clicked on a link to a YouTube video on my blog, but it has not happened with videos that I have opened on YouTube itself; I have only seen a few videos so far, so I will see.

Adguard responded to my email and I told them what I told you earlier, that was the end of that so far, they also responded to my comment on someone else's thread at their forums: AdGuard is not working on youtube.

I just responded to them a few minutes before making this response.

I have not tried reinstalling Adguard yet, I had just installed it for the first time after buying 9 lifetime licenses on sale for less than $30; before this I had used Adguard Browser Extension and Adguard DNS off & on.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Has anyone else been trying to run the latest Adguard version 7.11 alongside Adguard VPN?

At the end of last week I started using the VPN again, I'd previously had a sort of love-hate relationship with their VPN, it works well, periodically IME. As this new release added a VPN section in the main Adguard GUI with the announced future intention of integrating it more fully I decided to try the two alongside each other again.

It worked for a few days, then yesterday the VPN started to disconnect periodically and finally crashed. I re-started it but it wasn't playing nicely. I didn't have the time to check it out properly yesterday, life got in the way. Earlier today both the VPN and Adguard crashed repeatedly and eventually neither would restart. I tried several re-boots but this did not help.

I uninstalled the VPN and everything is now well on this device, a Win 10 PC, and I'm using other VPNs with no issues. I've sent several sets of logs from both Adguard and the VPN to Adguard, adding notes that stated I suspected a clash between them. If I get any helpful replies I'll add them here, but I'm not holding out much hope, I've never had much in the way of responses from Adguard in reply to a number of issues.

and

don't seem to be very helpful on this. The forum never had struck me as being 'busy' and that helpful.

Any similar experiences?

Edit.
Additionally, when they both started crashing I suddenly started getting a webpage open in Librewolf (current default browser) that took me to an Adguard promotional page from the Adguard Browser assistant extension. It was as if the browser had been hijacked by Adguard! I've not had that happen before, or any extension open unexpected webpages unless there had been an update a few show a changelog etc. After uninstalling the VPN this has not occured again.

Last edited:

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Check the Adguard reddit. Plenty of people there complaining the vpn is awful. You also have to question a vpn service that offers 5-year plans for $40, I'm not sure if that even covers the cost of servers let alone capacity to grow/improve the vpn service and deal with maintenance issues.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Check the Adguard reddit. Plenty of people there complaining the vpn is awful. You also have to question a vpn service that offers 5-year plans for $40, I'm not sure if that even covers the cost of servers let alone capacity to grow/improve the vpn service and deal with maintenance issues.
Yes, I got a 5 year deal for the VPN for even less than that. I don't mind paying for a decent service but in the world of capitalism that we live in most of us will pay cheaper prices for the same deal(s), so I shopped around. When it first started it seemed to work OK, I was looking for another VPN as I felt that speeds had slowed on the ones I had so I got the deal. It seemed to get slower and more unstable soon afterwards. There have been times when I've found it to work well, for a few days, then it relapses to being semi-functional. I really don't like how it won't play alongside other VPNs. Sure, I've seen other VPNs advising users not to have other VPNs installed (Surfshark being one of those). But as an end user I want a product that does what is claimed, when a VPN proves to be unreliable i want backup services to be installed and waiting to be used. I do not want to have to run an uninstall of whatever VPN has let me down, quite probably needing repeated reboots to clear the system, install an alternative VPN, reboot afterwards and then struggle to sign-in without having to log in to the website to confirm get a MFA code. When I am trying to do something important online I really do not need to take time out to go through all of that, sometimes its been worse.

I only re-installed Adguard VPN when I saw that Adguard 7.11 was starting to integrate the VPN into the main GUI. I wondered if this was the time when the two would start playing along nicely, but this doesn't appear to be the case. I really like Adguard but I'm thinking that the company may be trying to supply too many privacy and security related services at once, too quickly. Much like other suppliers in these fields have proved isn't always a good business path as the overall reputation dives and focus gets distracted.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

AdGuard for Windows 7.11.1​

Release date: November 3, 2022

In this hotfix, we’ve solved the network filtering related issue, fixed minor bugs and updated CoreLibs.

Changelog​

• [Enhancement] CoreLibs updated to v1.10.119 #4465
  • [Fixed] Network filtering cannot start #4455
  • [Fixed] Experimental filter is enabled automatically after updating the app #4457
  • [Fixed] Incorrect metadata processing when importing the filter #4452

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
After I did the new Adguard update, I updated the filters, refreshed an open YouTube video tab in Microsoft Edge, and I got ads; but after refreshing the page several times or exiting the tab & opening it again, Adguard started blocking ads on YouTube today, so far at least.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
After I did the new Adguard update, I updated the filters, refreshed an open YouTube video tab in Microsoft Edge, and I got ads; but after refreshing the page several times or exiting the tab & opening it again, Adguard started blocking ads on YouTube today, so far at least.
Ok have you tried other browsers for test?

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Nope, I already wasted enough time as is, I came close to just uninstalling Adguard, and just using uBlock Origin again or Adguard Browser Extension; I am trying to give it a chance, but if the ads come back I might try it in Google Chrome.
it's software issues that happens someone posted here about reddit AdGuard as complaints obv. if you use uBlock Origin you will never go back to Adguard because it's addons not software :) Good luck..

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
it's software issues that happens someone posted here about reddit AdGuard as complaints obv. if you use uBlock Origin you will never go back to Adguard because it's addons not software :) Good luck..
It just gets annoying when certain programs gives me so many problems when others do not, and having to do all kinds of troubleshooting gets tiring. I have tried some Adguard products off and on for years, except Aguard for Windows which I have just started using for the first time, out of all the ad blockers that I have tried, I have the most issues with their products, and I have had to do more troubleshooting for their products when I report bugs et cetera to them than most other products.

I have never had to report anything to uBlock Origin over the years, I wish Raymond Gorhill would make a program version of uBlock Origin that can work at the operating system level like Adguard, that would also help him to not have to worry about Manifest V3.

Anyway, I have been hoping for Adguard to improve over the years, so I try their products off and on, report things after having to troubleshoot et cetera to help contribute, they still are not at the level that I had hoped yet; but they have improved a little over the years at least.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Problem is the advertising industry and add service industry have thousands of employees working to improve add revenue and defeat adblocking. Adguard is a small team, I'd guess the owner + 1 or 2 developers and 1 or 2 marketing people and then maybe 1 admin person, so around 5 people all up. It's no excuse for bugs/exploits and bad software though, but bugs will happen in any software without the proper resources put into it.

uBlock is far superior on desktop and gorhill does an amazing job for a 1-man team but he also has amazing community support. Problem is you kind of need Adguard on mobile, especially for https add blocking.

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
The YouTube ads came back today, things were working until I went outside to jog, I left Microsoft Edge open, and when I got back; YouTube ads were trying to come through again and Malwarebytes Browser Guard had to block them.

So I disabled Malwarebytes Browser Guard, checked for Adguard updates & filter updates, refreshed my browser tab, opened up a new YouTube video in a different tab, and some ads were still coming through.

I might save or send an Adguard log to Adguard before I uninstall Adguard, and go back to uBlock Origin combined with Malwarebytes Browser Guard; I have Adguard lifetime licenses, so I can always come back & try it again in the future off & on to see if it improves & to report issues.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.