adnage19's security config

adnage19

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
This is my first security config. I guess it's quite good because it's for a very old PC (10 y/o) and I needed to find very light security.

Avast Free Antivirus settings:
  • installed only File System & Web Shields
  • enabled Hardened Mode Aggresive
  • enabled PUP detection
  • HIPS set to max
  • File System Shield heuristic set to max

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Thats a very lite config, if you practice safe surfing, and click habits then
that will serve you well. I love lite configs in the right hands.
Awesome share !
EDIT: I read further and noticed it's a family access PC ?
If so then you may want to add VoodooShield free to the config ? Just a suggestion ;)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I edited my post, if your family also uses it you may want to think about adding VoodooShield free, its lite and no signatures to deal with.
It would help protect a little better and bolsters the UAC as well.

adnage19

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
Very good, Although getting zemana premium is kind of pointless when you have hmpa, I use it as a second opinion malware scanner.
Well, I think that keeping Zemana's real-protection on is quite good idea because it replaces standard AV scanner and HMP.A doesn't. As I said - I built that config for my family, not for me :) Both apps are 100% automatic and that's important.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Nice light config! If it is working for you,and with no malware problems I would say it is, I wouldn't change anything.
Safe browsing habits and being careful about what you click goes a long way in securing your system.
You could consider HTTPS Everywhere in Firefox as well as some type of system back up solution.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

L

LabZero

Well, I think that keeping Zemana's real-protection on is quite good idea because it replaces standard AV scanner and HMP.A doesn't. As I said - I built that config for my family, not for me :) Both apps are 100% automatic and that's important.
I guess that you have enabled WD even if not mentioned, otherwise ZAL does not replace an AV, but it supports it.
Despite the real time protection, ZAL is designed to work alongside an existing antivirus but not to replace it.

adnage19

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
I guess that you have enabled WD even if not mentioned, otherwise ZAL does not replace an AV, but it supports it.
Despite the real time protection, ZAL is designed to work alongside an existing antivirus but not to replace it.
Nope, I have disabled WD ;) And I know that ZAL doesn't fully replace AV ("supports" is a good word, I forgot about it :p) but it's better to have it enabled, because HMP.A overall is a different protection type.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Nope, I have disabled WD ;) And I know that ZAL doesn't fully replace AV ("supports" is a good word, I forgot about it :p) but it's better to have it enabled, because HMP.A overall is a different protection type.
I suggest you should have an offline AV because sometimes zemana has a problem with its cloud so your PC would be unprotected in this period. It is risky unfortunately

I recommend to you avast free with some security and performance tweaks or WD with PUP protection and speed tweak

adnage19

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
I suggest you should have an offline AV because sometimes zemana has a problem with its cloud so your PC would be unprotected in this period. It is risky unfortunately

I recommend to you avast free with some security and performance tweaks or WD with PUP protection and speed tweak
Yes, I'm considering that. To be honest, I would go for Emsisoft AM, which runs pretty great on my notebook. It's really light overall, however, sometimes memory usage jumps to 200 mb, which would be pretty heavy for my old PC. But when I'm gonna replace the PC, I will definitely install EAM/EIS.
And what are exactly these speed tweaks for WD? :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Logethica

adnage19

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
I'm thinking about adding WinPatrol, I used to use it some time ago, autorun monitor is nice.

Reactions: Logethica

adnage19

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
epaaeiz Security Configuration
here is my post about tweaks

I think avast and webroot have the lowest memory usage. with speed tweak avast is very light that's why I recommend it. it's free
OK, installed avast (only file shield and web shield), enabled Moderate Hardened mode and PUA detection. After a full scan it's running really good, it's pretty light. Saying speed tweaks you mean disabling Transient caching or something more?

adnage19

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
Nice config! I'll give a try to uBlock, I always use adguard
AdGuard is pretty good too, however, I use only one browser so I just installed uBlock. :) If you use Microsoft Edge or you have more browsers, AdGuard is very useful.

Reactions: Logethica and ttto

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
OK, installed avast (only file shield and web shield), enabled Moderate Hardened mode and PUA detection. After a full scan it's running really good, it's pretty light. Saying speed tweaks you mean disabling Transient caching or something more?
yes. disbale transient caching
- disable sound alert. it's annoying
- uncheck 2 boxes in privacy tab
- open quickscan and fullscan config, make sure [...persistent caching...] (I forgot) is checked. then perform a quickscan then it's done. if fullscan box is already checked, you can skip this because you did a fullscan
- moderate hardened mode may cause a lot of false positives. some users suggest to use aggressive, which has less FPs and safer
- reduce avast notification (the 1st one after the one grayed out) to 5s so you may feel less annoyed about avast promotions or something about the company
- (uncheck scan for rootkit on startup) - not recommended but may speed up boot speed if you have to

perhaps there is something I missed because I don't have avast in my main laptop. I install avast on friends and family members' PCs. I wrote these from memory

hope you enjoy avast :cool:

edit: sorry deepscan = fullscan. I always mess them up

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.