Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
yes. disbale transient caching
- disable sound alert. it's annoying
- uncheck 2 boxes in privacy tab
- open quickscan and fullscan config, make sure [...persistent caching...] (I forgot) is checked. then perform a quickscan then it's done. if fullscan box is already checked, you can skip this because you did a fullscan
- moderate hardened mode may cause a lot of false positives. some users suggest to use aggressive, which has less FPs and safer
- reduce avast notification (the 1st one after the one grayed out) to 5s so you may feel less annoyed about avast promotions or something about the company
- (uncheck scan for rootkit on startup) - not recommended but may speed up boot speed if you have to

perhaps there is something I missed because I don't have avast in my main laptop. I install avast on friends and family members' PCs. I wrote these from memory

hope you enjoy avast :cool:

edit: sorry deepscan = fullscan. I always mess them up
Everything's already appliked, thanks! :) Just to be sure - I disabled transient caching by going to File Shield settings -> advanced. Is it right?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Everything's already appliked, thanks! :) Just to be sure - I disabled transient caching by going to File Shield settings -> advanced. Is it right?
yes it is. btw did you enable PUP detection in the main setting screen and disable email signature?
I forgot to mention these. It would be solid then
Many people complained about avast high CPU and disk read/write activity because of lscache.dat (transient caching)

Reactions: Logethica

adnage19

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
I have good feelings about Hardened mode. I mean, it seems to be working offensive, which is nice. It blocked Firefox unistallation files but I don't have problem with that because adding excusion can't be simplier. I have seen few videos on YT where Hardened mode was playing nice with malware. Better if it would block more (for example Firefox unistallation) than less :p
I'm just curious about HIPS sensitivity, it's set to the lowest by default. Would make it a difference if I set it one step higher? @Evjl's Rain Do you maybe know?

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
Increasing HIPS sensitivity may result in false-positive blocks. Just imagine the HIPS to be all-around more aggressive and vigilant if you increase sensitivity.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I have good feelings about Hardened mode. I mean, it seems to be working offensive, which is nice. It blocked Firefox unistallation files but I don't have problem with that because adding excusion can't be simplier. I have seen few videos on YT where Hardened mode was playing nice with malware. Better if it would block more (for example Firefox unistallation) than less :p
I'm just curious about HIPS sensitivity, it's set to the lowest by default. Would make it a difference if I set it one step higher? @Evjl's Rain Do you maybe know?
I set it to max, same as heuristics but it's too aggessive as expected. It blocked viber and startup delayer apps from startup and I had to whitelist them. Of course max is better but it's fine if you set it to 2. 1 is too low and it is useless IMO
I always set heuristics=max and HIPS=2 with hardened mode=off, PUP=on for my friends and family members. I believe this is enough for them. Otherwise, avast is too aggressive for them and they dont know how to whitelist stuffs

You can set HIPS to max

adnage19

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
UPDATE
Removed avast because its Web Shield was using many CPU at the end of file downloading from the browser and the downloading was stoping for few seconds. It's too much for this old PC :D
Installed Emsisoft Anti-Malware, just like on my personal notebook. It's running super smooth. Sometimes it eats more RAM than Avast, but sometimes even less. So far it doesn't slow down PC at all, if it will be just like that always, I'm going to buy a license. Right now, combination of EAM, ZAL and HMPA Seems to be really strong protection, and also the light one.

adnage19

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016

adnage19

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
UPDATE
  • Back to Avast Free, because I fixed high CPU usage when downloading. Security settings posted in my first post. So far, these settings don't affect on
  • Added WinPatrol Free to have startup settings real-time control.
  • Removed HitmanPro.Alert, as I probably don't need it and so far I don't want to pay for a license.
  • Changed TrafficLight to Avira Browser Safety. I did a test on many malware url's and Avira's detection ratio was outstanding. I disabled all additional options under settings like Price comparision or tracking blocking (already have uBlock for thatt) so Avira just blocks pages, nothing more.
  • Set UAC to max
  • updated Windows 10 build to .222
Right now it's a completely free config, because I got Zemana AntiLogger license during beta testing :)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
UPDATE
  • Back to Avast Free, because I fixed high CPU usage when downloading. Security settings posted in my first post. So far, these settings don't affect on
  • Added WinPatrol Free to have startup settings real-time control.
  • Removed HitmanPro.Alert, as I probably don't need it and so far I don't want to pay for a license.
  • Changed TrafficLight to Avira Browser Safety. I did a test on many malware url's and Avira's detection ratio was outstanding. I disabled all additional options under settings like Price comparision or tracking blocking (already have uBlock for thatt) so Avira just blocks pages, nothing more.
  • Set UAC to max
  • updated Windows 10 build to .222
Right now it's a completely free config, because I got Zemana AntiLogger license during beta testing :)
good config. I also moved from bitdefender to avira because avira consumes less CPU

adnage19

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
TEST CONFIG UPDATE
Removed all real-time protection apps
Added Kaspersky Internet Security with few tweaks for protection & performance, also enabled TAM. So far so good.

Reactions: Evjl's Rain

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
TEST CONFIG UPDATE
Removed all real-time protection apps
Added Kaspersky Internet Security with few tweaks for protection & performance, also enabled TAM. So far so good.
please update your config in the 1st page. Hope you happy with KIS but you will find it a bit more sluggish after using avast ;)
THe think I dont like about KIS is the background scanning (rootkit and idle scanning) which slow down my laptop when they are scanning

Reactions: askmark

adnage19

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
please update your config in the 1st page. Hope you happy with KIS but you will find it a bit more sluggish after using avast ;)
THe think I dont like about KIS is the background scanning (rootkit and idle scanning) which slow down my laptop when they are scanning
I won't update my config yet, because I'm only testing it right now :) And I have disabled idle scanning. :)

adnage19

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
UPDATE
Switched to ESET Internet Security 10 (trial temporary, will see if I buy a license). Enabled PUP detection, HIPS set to Smart Mode and my own rules which protect Startup, Services, Task Scheduler (thanks to that I could remove WinPatrol Free), autorun.inf, Hosts, also rules to improve ransomware protection. I'm going to fresh reinstall my Windows and if I still use ESET, I will probably enable learning mode for 2 weeks and then switch to Interactive or Policy-based mode.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.