Status
Not open for further replies.

boredog

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
Hello

I have been using AirVPN for about a year now. Most sites I go to show the place my VPN connects to but today I went to Weather and at first it showed me connected to a city in Canada and the weather for there but after 15 seconds weather showed my real location. Anybody else notice this ?
Windows 10 and was using Edge. Even went into the site manage locations and deleted my added zip codes and searches, shut down Edge , ran CCleaner and reopened weather . It then showed Canada city but when I clicked find me, it found my real location again.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: SHvFl and upnorth

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I can guess it's not an issue with your VPN provider, it's probably an issue with your browser. Microsoft messed this up real fine in Edge.
  1. Navigate to “ about:flags ” using the address bar.
  2. Check the box next to the “ Hide my local IP address over WebRTC connections ” option.
  3. Test again for IP Leaks using WebRTC Leak Test or WebRTC Leak Test.

Reactions: SHvFl and bribon77

boredog

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
I can guess it's not an issue with your VPN provider, it's probably an issue with your browser. Microsoft messed this up real fine in Edge.
  1. Navigate to “ about:flags ” using the address bar.
  2. Check the box next to the “ Hide my local IP address over WebRTC connections ” option.
  3. Test again for IP Leaks using WebRTC Leak Test or WebRTC Leak Test.

Ok tried that and as soon as I click find me , it does find me.

Reactions: SHvFl

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
What happens when you use another browser?

Btw I saw that weather has some specific settings that's turned off for me. Perhaps something that you need to turn off/disable?

boredog

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
What happens when you use another browser?

Btw I saw that weather has some specific settings that's turned off for me. Perhaps something that you need to turn off/disable?

I am not sure which settings you speak of. Did you try it in Edge? Add your location then delet it and shut down Edge then click find me? and are you using AirVPN?

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I am not sure which settings you speak of. Did you try it in Edge? Add your location then delet it and shut down Edge then click find me? and are you using AirVPN?

I don't have Edge as I don't even run Windows 10 but as I suspected an issue with WebRTC I searched about Edge and found the information I supplied. Not 100% sure it works in the latest Edge version but if you simply type or copy and paste : about:flags and press enter on your keyboard you should hopefully open a window where you should see the text " Hide my local IP address over WebRTC connections ". Click the box beside that and then run the WebRTC Leak test urls I posted. WebRTC Leak Test or WebRTC Leak Test

boredog

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
I don't have Edge as I don't even run Windows 10 but as I suspected an issue with WebRTC I searched about Edge and found the information I supplied. Not 100% sure it works in the latest Edge version but if you simply type : about:flags and press enter on your keyboard you should hopefully open a window where you should see the text " Hide my local IP address over WebRTC connections ". Click the box beside that and then run the WebRTC Leak test urls I posted.

Yes I am running latest version build 17063 and I do see the option to Hide my local IP address over WebRTC connections
I did that but it did not help.
There seems to be something strange about this site.

This is something I am only seeing on weather . All other sites show my hidden IP address.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Do you have network lock on?

boredog

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
In order for your pc to not leak ip,dns, webrtc you need to enable network lock on airvpn application (eddie).

This is what my lock setting is. It is default.
ScreenHunter_83 Dec. 25 16.17.jpg

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Remove the experimental lock from advanced, dc and connect and try again. Rest of the settings seem fine.
Also it's showing the lock screen on the main page next to the connected vpn server name?

Reactions: upnorth

boredog

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
Remove the experimental lock from advanced, dc and connect and try again. Rest of the settings seem fine.
Also it's showing the lock screen on the main page next to the connected vpn server name?
No it shows it as an unlocked icon

boredog

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
Did that with same results

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I tested with edge and i don't have your issue so first try edge in private mode in case they have your location from cookies or something.
If it's still an issue and assuming you use the latest version of the client which is 2.13.6 make a ticket about your issue. They usually reply really fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.