Question AirVPN or Mullvad + ControlD

VPN and DNS
34 Replies 3,177 Views
Help answer the author's question with clear explanations and useful steps.

Which would you get, with cost being a factor?

  • AirVPN

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Mullvad + ControlD

    Votes: 9 75.0%

  • Total voters
    12
I've decided to go with AirVPN. It checked too many boxes for me. I like the fact that neither reddit or Youtube see me as a bot and require me to login to use them. Also, the AirVPN client (Eddie) allows you to auto-force-change the DNS servers used for every adapter and not just the one you're using to connect. Also, I'm able to specify scripts to run based on event, such as having a script to kill processes should the connection drop.

At that price I might as well add it to my VPN subscription collection.
 
Thanks I will have a look at it on my phone (using Quad9 as DNS) because I have a Cloudflare Zero Truct Policy blocking all stuff wanting to bypass (VPN) or access (P2P, remote access etc) my laptop
View attachment 296479
:)

But how would your ISP see what websites your are visiting ask AI
View attachment 296480
Quad9 (best), NextDNS (great) and ControlD (good) have privacy respecting policies and log retention periods
DNS encryption only closes one window that an ISP has into your activities. It's a good security measure, but not enough for this kind of privacy.
  1. DNS allows you to look up IP addresses. Once the secure DNS lookup is over, your computer needs to send data to the IP address, and ultimately it's your ISP fulfilling the delivery. A simple reverse DNS lookup reveals the host of every server you connect to.

  2. SNI (Server Name Indication) leaks happen when you connect to HTTPS websites. Without the addition of new Encrypted Client Hello technology, part of the handshake normally reveals the website's domain name in plaintext.

  3. Then there's always DPI (Deep Packet Inspection). Even without direct access to the encrypted content, advanced ISPs are skilled at analyzing your behavior online.
 
After following user @n8chavez progress I decided to give AirVPN another try after using it years ago for some time & very briefly a year or so ago, the UI Eddie is basic & no dark mode but its an excellent way of controlling a VPN how you like it, & actually is a first class experience & very lite too, the speed is similar to Mullvad & any other VPN - The end result I'm now using AIR, & I was somewhat skeptical, but we live & learn often from others - Whether users feel a VPN is an asset or should or should not be used is another story but I've found again AIR is excellent & up there with the likes of Mullvad/IVPN etc. etc. Just my 10 pence worth though & only my opinion: Edited for grammar :)
 
Also Proton has a special on the moment $2.49USD for 24 months, same as Black Friday deals. AirVPN currently offering Easter specials around $72USD for 3 years.
 
Both great deals. Although my trust in Proton has been sliding lately, as it seems they log more than they claim. Also, slight correction, AirVPN is $85 USD foe 36 months right now
My bad, I was converting euro's to USD in my head. Agree both are great deals. But I wish I had my half priced $50USD for IVPN Pro subscription, let it slide sadly 😭
 
I realize at this point I'm pretty much talking to myself, and that no one really cares. But one of the reasons I like AirVPN is because its client allows users to run scripts based on events, such as if the connection drops or when the connection is established. I thought I'd share one such script, I dunno, I guess for funsies, in case someone here finds them useful.

Killswitch (In case the VPN connection drops):

Code:
taskkill /F /IM qbittorrent.exe /T >nul 2>&1
taskkill /F /IM sonarr.exe /T >nul 2>&1
taskkill /F /IM SABnzbd.exe /T >nul 2>&1
taskkill /F /IM POPPeeper.exe /T >nul 2>&1

exit

This script is designed to forcibly kill qbittorrent, sonarr, sadnzbd, and PopPeeper in the event the VPN drops.

AirVPN does have a killswitch (named Network Lock) but this script will a secondary defacto "killswitch" just in case.

Maybe someone will find it useful.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top