Status
Not open for further replies.

giulia

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
hi
i have added the registry keys on my w10 , w8.1 and 7 SaveZoneInformation=1 , in short when i download an image it's no blocked anymore

i don't know if it was a right decision

the point is that i have lots of files (mostly jpg image and pdf ) blocked ,so i disabled

now i have (i guess ) tons of entries on my mtf zone information
there is a tool , nirsoftware , AlternateStreamView it finds and delete such entries

i wanted to perform a search not on my operation disks (ssd ) but on my hard disk internal and external and i have found lots of entries

is safe to delete these entries with AlternateStreamView ?

does it clean the zone information of my operation system MFT or only the MFT of my hard disk (data) ?

in short i want to clean the hard disk E: , it's a data hard disk , i search E: and if i clean all the entries , will be the E: mft cleaned or even my windows 10 or 8 or 7 mft cleaned?

thanks
sorry for my poor english

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
I doubt ADS has anything to do with MFT, I am not an expert so don't take my word as gold on this... the MFT is a layout of your files, doubt it documents anything about ADS.

So, when ASV comes up with a list of files with ADS, it is just those files that have it...

It might be better to change SaveZoneInformation to zero.. reboot... run ASV on all your drives, clean them all... reboot... then change SaveZoneInformation to 1...

Reactions: giulia

giulia

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
I doubt ADS has anything to do with MFT, I am not an expert so don't take my word as gold on this... the MFT is a layout of your files, doubt it documents anything about ADS.

So, when ASV comes up with a list of files with ADS, it is just those files that have it...

It might be better to change SaveZoneInformation to zero.. reboot... run ASV on all your drives, clean them all... reboot... then change SaveZoneInformation to 1...
hi
but have you used AlternateStreamView under w10 ,8.1 or 7?
any issues
thanks

Reactions: marzametal

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
I use ASV on W7 Home Premium, just had to make sure I downloaded the 64bit version because my OS is 64bit... other than that, no issues.

Reactions: giulia
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.