Alternative for Kaspersky.

Zerion

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2016
Alright! A little update...

So, i began with uninstalling Kaspersky and that seemed to fix most of the issues i was having with it my computer ( Freezes, Crashes, Slowdowns, etc... ) Now i began looking for alternatives i tried out avast, ( It was before i read this thread ) and my god, what a disaster... So what it did was pretty much deleting all my saved passwords from mozilla, both local and from my mozilla account.. which i saw was common after a quick google search, but it should usually leav behind a login.json.corrupted file which should have been easy to fix then, but OFCOURSE i did not have that, so i had to try and remember my logins to all sites... well well, i got it OK now anyways.. So i uninstalled it faster than lightning.

Next up i tried few others of the suggestions, F-Secure, ESET, Tried to fix norton with no luck since the installation, login, creation process is a pain in the a**, anyways none of them really gave me the rolls roys feeling and protection that Kaspersky have been offering to me for years. SO what did i do?

I made sure i had no leftovers of anything in my system, uninstalled all other security apps, cleaned up pretty much everything, and gave Kaspersky another shot, and here i am back again with Kaspersky and im loving every second of it, still in default settings is a fear i might have messed up some settings for it casuse the previous beheaviour.

( Sorry if this text was long, anyways i thought i should let you guys know how it all played out... Also i truly love the support and that you all care here, big creds for that )

// Best Regards, Zerion.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Alright! A little update...

So, i began with uninstalling Kaspersky and that seemed to fix most of the issues i was having with it my computer ( Freezes, Crashes, Slowdowns, etc... ) Now i began looking for alternatives i tried out avast, ( It was before i read this thread ) and my god, what a disaster... So what it did was pretty much deleting all my saved passwords from mozilla, both local and from my mozilla account.. which i saw was common after a quick google search, but it should usually leav behind a login.json.corrupted file which should have been easy to fix then, but OFCOURSE i did not have that, so i had to try and remember my logins to all sites... well well, i got it OK now anyways.. So i uninstalled it faster than lightning.

Next up i tried few others of the suggestions, F-Secure, ESET, Tried to fix norton with no luck since the installation, login, creation process is a pain in the a**, anyways none of them really gave me the rolls roys feeling and protection that Kaspersky have been offering to me for years. SO what did i do?

I made sure i had no leftovers of anything in my system, uninstalled all other security apps, cleaned up pretty much everything, and gave Kaspersky another shot, and here i am back again with Kaspersky and im loving every second of it, still in default settings is a fear i might have messed up some settings for it casuse the previous beheaviour.

( Sorry if this text was long, anyways i thought i should let you guys know how it all played out... Also i truly love the support and that you all care here, big creds for that )

// Best Regards, Zerion.
Nothing a good reinstall cannot fix! 👏

Be sure to create a restore point, and proceed with caution installing previous software. For a good, solid and light Kaspersky Configuration you can check: Discuss - RoboMan's Light Kaspersky Settings

For extra info on Kaspersky, check:

Zerion

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2016
Nothing a good reinstall cannot fix! 👏

Be sure to create a restore point, and proceed with caution installing previous software. For a good, solid and light Kaspersky Configuration you can check: Discuss - RoboMan's Light Kaspersky Settings

For extra info on Kaspersky, check:
Thanks man, will check it out! :)

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
When Windows misbehaves there a few simple steps that may solve:

1) Uninstall and reinstall the software that is misbehaving.
2) Open a command prompt with administrative rights and type "sfc /scannow"
3) If the steps above do not solve it, open a command prompt with administrative rights and type"Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth"

If these 3 steps do not fix your problem and you don't have some technical knowledge of Windows Troubleshooting then format and reinstall. It will be faster than spending hours looking for the culprit.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
If you were using the Free version of Kaspersky, then Avast would be a good alternative. On low-medium end systems Kaspersky tends to degrade system performance. Avast on the other hand is much much lighter. Also you get the option to have a customized installation, meaning, you get to choose what components you want to install, further making it even lighter. If you want to pay for your antivirus software then ESET is a fairly light solution to choose.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
When Windows misbehaves there a few simple steps that may solve:

1) Uninstall and reinstall the software that is misbehaving.
2) Open a command prompt with administrative rights and type "sfc /scannow"
3) If the steps above do not solve it, open a command prompt with administrative rights and type"Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth"

If these 3 steps do not fix your problem and you don't have some technical knowledge of Windows Troubleshooting then format and reinstall. It will be faster than spending hours looking for the culprit.
If these 3 steps don't work just hit diskpart tool and format the hell out of that disk :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
If you were using the Free version of Kaspersky, then Avast would be a good alternative. On low-medium end systems Kaspersky tends to degrade system performance. Avast on the other hand is much much lighter.
I've got a pretty low end laptop (not bad in its day but that was back in the good old days of Vista over 10 years ago LOL!) and currently running W7 I've found Avast free adversely affects performance way more than Kaspersky SCF.

L

Local Host

I've got a pretty low end laptop (not bad in its day but that was back in the good old days of Vista over 10 years ago LOL!) and currently running W7 I've found Avast free adversely affects performance way more than Kaspersky SCF.
It does, but is useless to argue about this.

Kaspersky is extremely light on most computers I've tested, but some people have had issues due to software incompatibilities, I won't even say hardware, cause I've seen Kaspersky run light on both low-end and high-end machines.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.