Advice Request Alternative to Proton Mail for MacOS... suggestions please.

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
I have had enough with Proton Mail on my MacBook Pro!

The lack of a dedicated mail client, to me, is ridiculous and Bridge and Apple Mail don't play well together. Throw into the mix I use DDG as a browser, within which I can't set Proton as the default mail app... etc. etc.

So the time has come to man-up and find an alternative.

I would appreciate it if the folks here could offer-up a few suggestions for me. I would consider a minimum of, E2EE, subscription based, secure, non-US based(prefer EU) offering multiple addresses with a sensible domain name(my current one is @pm.me...easy to communicate to others). I also have @gmail.com, @duck.com and @icloud.com which don't suit my 'security by isolation' objectives.

Look forward to a lively debate...

Cheers

(ok @Bot, go for it...)

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Some alternative secure email providers that you might consider as an alternative to ProtonMail include Tutanota, Hushmail, StartMail, and Posteo. All of these providers offer end-to-end encryption, subscription-based services, and have servers located in Europe. Tutanota and Hushmail also offer multiple email addresses with customizable domains. Do keep in mind that every provider has its own unique features, so it's important to do your research to find the perfect fit for your needs.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Yeah, ok @Bot...

Checked those out and the only one to even close to my wants is Tutanota.

I don't really see it as anymore secure than Proton, but it does have a dedicated MacOS client app, so that's a huge plus.

But an even bigger minus is the fact i will spend the rest of my life spelling @T.U.T.A.N.O.T.A.com to everyone I want to give my email address to. Nup, @pm.me is much easier.

Apart from that, its a great looking service.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It was lightly mentioned as part of their 2022 Roadmap, however due to its development status no ETA has been provided. My best guess is 2024, early 2025.
Finally, we’re experimenting with an Electron.js desktop app to take Proton Mail beyond the browser for Mac, Linux, and Windows. We’re still in the early stages, and we don’t have a beta or general release timeline just yet. But we know that a desktop app is high on the wishlist for many of you, so we thought you’d like to know it’s on our radar. — Source

Here are some links I found using a search engine.. dig further to find out who offers what, and to see if they meet all your requirements.
  1. Proton Mail Alternatives: 25+ WebMail Providers and Email Clients | AlternativeTo
  2. The 8 Best ProtonMail Alternatives for Your Email Security
  3. 15 Best ProtonMail Alternatives 2023 - Rigorous Themes
  4. Best Privacy Email Accounts & Clients in 2023

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Awesome! Thanks Ink!

Update:
All four of the above links concluded that Tutanota is really the only alternate to Proton Mail.

I'm going to sign-up and give it a run, maybe see how well they talk to each other.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Tutanota is good, use it every day as an alternative to Gmail and like it. It doesn't feel as polished as PM but it's useable and has built in encryption.

Then I would go riseup.net but you need a invite and fill out a form with reasons why you need their service and it's USA based but they are pretty hardcore privacy freaks. Other providers to consider is disroot.org but you need to supply why you need it and they don't accept every submission, you may or may not get approved probably not if you give bad answer. Last to consider is mailfence.com but it's located in Belgium so maybe not to your liking, who knows?

Paid I would go posteo.de>runbox.com >countermail.com(need invite)> startmail.com>mailbox.org.

All paid email services are Euro based with varying levels of security/encryption and privacy/legal laws.

Stay away from Hushmail & Safemail. But if you use PGP then it doesn't what provider you use, just hope there are no bugs/exploits in your PGP software or unknown side channel attacks on PGP encryption algorithm.

*note* The advent of a scalable and full featured working Quantum Computing will 'supposedly' and 'theoretically' end public key crypto, and your emails will probably be decipherable in the future. Just like any technology/encryption cipher/method/software have a backup plan.

Last edited:

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
I'm really very happy with Proton, and use the complete suite of products, I just wanted a dedicated in-house email app. I'm not a fan of web based UI's and, DDG or not, don't really trust them.

So, its really only Tutanota as an alternative.

However, I have spent 60+ years having to spell my surname(it's Wight not White) so I have zero tolerance for having to spell T U T A N O T A continuously from here on in.

Call me trite... but, I think I'll wait for Proton's MacOS client.

Thanks all!

Cheers.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022

Wow!

Very nice enaph!

Fully integrated workspace, combines all the Proton suites in a desktop app. Very slick UI. Decentralised. iOS app companion plus lots of Web3 integration(you can even subscribe using crypto).

Downloaded the Mac version for a test run. So far only had to provide an email address to sign-up, which was a random Proton address.

Looking good...

Cheers.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
...customer service, retail and other workers can easily listen and type at the same time ;) (y)

Mmmmm, don't know how many international call centres are used where you're from...

@duck is the easiest. Its either, "you know, quack quack" for domestic use or "crispy fried" for international.

Last edited:
  • HaHa
Reactions: Jonny Quest

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Just be careful with companies promising the world, they have to deliver and really the only way you will know is if they are challenged with warrants.

Sure, you can have a slick website and promise 'privacy for the world' but can they fight or push back against overreach by the authorities #1 issue.

Mmmmm, don't know how many international call centres are used where you're from...

@duck is the easiest. Its either, "you know, quack quack" for domestic use or "crispy fried" for international.
I don't think it matter as long as it's a valid email address. There have been some pretty weird email host addresses in the past.

You also have a provider Home — Cock.li E-mail Hosting, so yeah, some weird providers out there.

• Hundred Points
Reactions: MuzzMelbourne

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Well, I've decided on Skiff as the best alternative to Proton, or I should say companion to Proton Mail.

They are pretty well the same, but different.

Proton's features/functions are well documented so I won't bore you with my take on it.

But, it has to be said, if you are at all interested in a Web3, decentralised, ecosystem, Skiff is the duck's nuts!

Through Skiff I learned about Unstoppable Domains, and a whole new world opened up. I now feel I have a solid base in each camp, Web2 and Web3, and Skiff is the bridge between the two. Awesome stuff.

Thanks again enaph, Zero Knowledge and everyone else who contributed to this thread.

Cheers.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.