Last updated
Dec 21, 2021
How it's used?
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 10
On-device encryption
Log-in security
    • Biometrics (Windows Hello PIN, TouchID, Face, Iris, Fingerprint)
Security updates
Allow security updates
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Smart App Control
Network firewall
Real-time security
Microsoft Defender with Default settings
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Periodic malware scanners
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Microsoft Edge
Privacy Badger
uBlock Origin
Google Translate
Google Dictionary
Bitwarden
Windscribe
Hover Zoom+
Dark Reader
New Tab Redirect
Grammarly
Honey
HTTPS Everywhere
BitDefender TrafficLight
Take a Break by Eye Care Plus
User-Agent Switcher for Chrome
Microsoft Defender Browser Protection
VT4Browsers

Brave:
Privacy Badger
Hover Zoom+
HTTPS Everywhere
Secure DNS
Desktop VPN
Windscribe Premium
Password manager
Bitwarden
Maintenance tools
Windows Storage Sense
File and Photo backup
Manually backing up to docked HDD's/Optical Discs
System recovery
None
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Browsing the dark web
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Sharing and receiving files and torrents
    • Gaming
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
AMD A10-7850K
16G RAM ddr3
Redon RX580 4G
SSD: 1240GB
HDD: 1880GB
Notable changes
*Removed Microsoft Edge extensions: FxPlus+, KanColle Command Center.
*Removed Brave extension: uBlock Origin.
*Added Microsoft Edge extension: Microsoft Defender Browser Protection, VT4Browsers.
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

Amnesia

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 23, 2021
Reinstall windows recently my pc, doing VR and other over spec staff...

Used to use Ccleaner and Wise Registry cleaner and TotalAV sould I use them again or do the tools i use now will do the job/you have better alternative? Newbie and have little knowledge in the subject, would like to hear your recommendation, performance is the most important thing to me so light anti virus/malware are the way to go, thank you

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Suggestions:

Switch to a Standard User Account for daily activities.

Add ConfigureDefender set to "High" to harden M$Defender.

Less is more when it comes to extensions. Reduce the number of extensions, some of which are questionable due to security or privacy concerns e.g. Honey. What would you risk for free Honey?

And this: How anti-fingerprinting extensions tend to make fingerprinting easier

Check here for his latest examples: Almost Secure

Edge has fairly strong built-in tracking protection when using "Strict" mode. µBO and Privacy Badger together in Edge are redundant. Use one only. Both are superfluous in Brave with its excellent built-in adblocker unless you use µBO in medium or hard mode.

Remove HTTPS Everywhere. Both Brave and Edge have settings to handle this function.

Your basic config is good and adheres to my motto: "Stay safe, not paranoid"! :D(y)(y)

Last edited:

ScandinavianFish

Level 7
Verified
Dec 12, 2021
TotalAV is an Potentially Unwanted Program, it has no value whatsoever, and it uses aggressive and misleading advertising tactics such as advertising affiliate sites that pose as review sites aswell as bots on Google Reviews and Trustpilot, it just uses the Avira engine so theres no point of using it.

Also, avoid these "optimizer" and registry cleaning software, like TotalAV they are snake oil with fake promises and borders being PUP's, they can also harm your system by deleting crucial items, even Microsoft themself strongly recommends against the use of such software.

Last edited:

Amnesia

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 23, 2021
Suggestions:

Switch to a Standard User Account for daily activities.

Add ConfigureDefender set to "High" to harden M$Defender.

Less is more when it comes to extensions. Reduce the number of extensions, some of which are questionable due to security or privacy concerns e.g. Honey. What would you risk for free Honey?

And this: How anti-fingerprinting extensions tend to make fingerprinting easier

Check here for his latest examples: Almost Secure

Edge has fairly strong built-in tracking protection when using "Strict" mode. µBO and Privacy Badger together in Edge are redundant. Use one only. Both are superfluous in Brave with its excellent built-in adblocker unless you use µBO in medium or hard mode.

Remove HTTPS Everywhere. Both Brave and Edge have settings to handle this function.

Your basic config is good and adheres to my motto: "Stay safe, not paranoid"! :D(y)(y)

TotalAV is an Potentially Unwanted Program, it has no value whatsoever, and it uses aggressive and misleading advertising tactics such as advertising affiliate sites that pose as review sites aswell as bots on Google Reviews and Trustpilot, it just uses the Avira engine so theres no point of using it.

Also, avoid these "optimizer" and registry cleaning software, like TotalAV they are snake oil with fake promises and borders being PUP's, they can also harm your system by deleting crucial items, even Microsoft themself strongly recommends against the use of such software.
Thank you both for helping me to clear out some things, as you said I'll delete some extension and won't be downloading any optimization software. Just one more thing about Microsoft Defender, if I put it on high security mode would it slow down my computer? I'm just doing heavy and power hungry activities on my computer (in comparison to my specs of course) editing and heavy gaming... Is there an lighter alternative to mc defender? Or should I just with that? I heard people recommending on WiseVector and 360...

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
@Amnesia
You should try to reduce your browser addons, as fewer as better in terms of security (attack surface) and even for users privacy.
Just keep in mind about upcoming Manifest v3. We all don't know yet how many browser addons/extensions continue to be available ;)

ScandinavianFish

Level 7
Verified
Dec 12, 2021
Thank you both for helping me to clear out some things, as you said I'll delete some extension and won't be downloading any optimization software. Just one more thing about Microsoft Defender, if I put it on high security mode would it slow down my computer? I'm just doing heavy and power hungry activities on my computer (in comparison to my specs of course) editing and heavy gaming... Is there an lighter alternative to mc defender? Or should I just with that? I heard people recommending on WiseVector and 360...
Generally, all antiviruses slightly slow down your computer, it all depends on how many features they have and how it scans files, some AV's scan files only when you execute them, while some, like Windows Defender, scans them at all stages, from download, to access, to execution, to post execution.
Windows Defender can get pretty CPU intensive, but its not commonplace and it stops after 15-20 seconds, but its resource usage and performance impact is quite small compared to products like Bitdefender, which just over 600 megabytes of RAM andalmost maxes out your CPU if it detects anything, though of course this is from my standpoint, it may behave completely different on your system as for me theres very few AV's that doesnt significantly slow down the system, which includes Windows Defender.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.