- Jan 8, 2011
Find out the best options for your old phone; Trade-in, Sell, Recycle or Donate?
Continue reading: How to sell, trade-in, donate, or recycle your phoneBefore you do anything, follow these essential steps. These steps ensure you don't leave personal data on your device and that your phone is in the proper condition.
- Back up your phone. While you can manually comb through your device for valuable photos or files, it's quicker and easier to do a comprehensive backup and sort out essential files later.
- Remove any SIM cards or microSD cards.
- Remove the case. Recycling cases is different from recycling phones, and most trade-in offers require you to remove the case.
- Find the original box and charger that came with your phone. While not necessary, it's beneficial when mailing your device to protect it from damage. However, trade-in offers often send a box or package for your phone.
- Factory reset your device. This wipes all personal data from your phone. But, ensure it's backed up first. Our guide walks you through the steps to reset your phone successfully.
For Apple iPhones owners:
Use these steps to transfer information to your new device and, if applicable, remove your personal information from your old device.