Anniversary Update: How to fix common problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiguelPratas819

Level 2
Verified
Jul 8, 2015
Clean install OS with this type of MBR-modifying update; it prevents lots of problems in my experience.
On one hand,Yes, Clean install in this case is always the better solution, 95% of the problems people are facing wouldn´t happen if they clean installed the anniversary update, in the other hand also 95% of this people bother clean installing everything which I understand.
SOrry Horrible english Jesus.

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I have slow boot/freeze problem before I can access in the login windows to type my pin.
If i uninstall emsisoft and do a clean boot i solved ,if i reinstall emsisoft I get the same issue.
any solutions?
I would reinstall the OS again if it was me,but I know that many would not want to go to those lengths..
It may be worth checking out the thread below if you have not already :)
Windows 10 PCs Freezing After Installing Anniversary Update

aries91

Level 2
Verified
Apr 20, 2015
just done an IN-place reinstallation but no changes.
with emsisoft i get black screen for 20 sec then i get main windows and if i click some button I get a charging window and if I press ctrl+alt+canc i can finally access to login windows and type my pin.

i don't want to do a clean installation ,formatting everything

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
7 Windows 10 Anniversary Update Problems & How to Fix Them

Windows 10 Anniversary Update Problems: Getting the Update
Getting the update is simple; Microsoft isn’t requiring users to download a utility or access it through the Windows Store. It’s tied the upgrade to Windows Update, where millions of Windows 10 PCs will get it behind the scenes.

If you haven’t gotten it yet, you can check to see if your PC is ready for it manually. Go to the Settings app, then select Update & Security. Next click on the Check for Updates button in the Windows 10 app.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update Problems: Android Notifications Not Showing Up on Your PC
The Windows 10 Anniversary Update upgrades Cortana, this time with the ability to monitor Android smartphones and Windows phones for the latest notifications. She’ll tell you when your phone battery is dead, plus alert you of incoming text messages, that you can reply to from the Action Center.
Windows 10 Mobile has this functionality built-in, but Android owners will need to download the latest version of Cortana from the Google Play Store. What’s more, the Microsoft Account used in Windows 10 must be the same as the one used in the Android app.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update Problems: Microsoft Edge Crashing
A remarkable amount of people say that Microsoft Edge, the default browser that Microsoft added with last year’s Windows 10 update, becomes less stable once the Windows 10 Anniversary Update is installed. We can confirm that this is absolutely the case; our upgraded PCs are suffering from Edge crashes and freezes at a pretty regularly.

Some have suggested that uninstalling any Edge Extension that you’ve added from the Windows Store fixes the problem. Microsoft doesn’t install any Edge Extensions by default though, meaning that can’t be what’s behind the issue for most upgraders.

For now, we recommend turning to Google Chrome, Internet Explorer or Firefox for web pages that are giving you a hard time

Windows 10 Anniversary Update Problems: Cortana Won’t Open
After the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, Cortana can fail to open for some. We’re not sure what the cause of this is, as Microsoft hasn’t removed any territories are changed where it offers the personal assistant. It’s absolutely a technical glitch, one Microsoft hasn’t come up with a fix for yet.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update Problems: Installing Edge Extensions
It can be a little confusing to install a Microsoft Edge Extension. New for the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, Edge Extensions allow Windows 10 users to add new features to the browser. Extensions aren’t made by Microsoft, but by third-party developers. Chrome and Firefox feature a take on Extensions too.
Right now, there aren’t too many Edge Extensions available. You can download new ones – like AdBlock and a Reddit enhancement suite from the Windows Store here.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update Problems: Apps, Lives Tiles and Start Are Wrong Size
The Windows 10 Anniversary Update comes packed with behind the scenes changes for how the operating system deals with multiple displays and what appears to be a few scaling tweaks. When you first login to your PC, you may find that the size of some elements – mainly the Start Menu and some apps has changed.

Go to the Settings app and tap or click on System. Then select Display. Use the slider to get the size of on-screen elements just right. If this doesn’t fix your issue, try looking for new display drivers by checking for updates from the Update & Security area in the Settings app.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update Problems: Apps Won’t Open
Windows 10 Anniversary Update shouldn’t break your apps, but if you notice one not starting correctly, the update provides you with tools to fix it.

Go to the Settings app, then select System. Tap or click on Apps & Features in the menu. Now look for the app that’s not working correctly in the list. Tap or click on that app, then selectAdvanced Options. Hit the Reset button on that app.

If you are an AVAST user then check out this thread:AVAST: Anniversary Update Problems & Fixes

Continue reading this article at the link at the top of this post

Last edited:

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016

Couldn’t download Windows 10 – Error 0x80072ee7

Some users are reporting that they receive a Something went wrong, Couldn’t download Windows 10, please check your network settings and try again message with error code 0x80072ee7, when they tried to upgrade their Windows 10 PC to Windows 10 Anniversary Update, using the Windows 10 Update Assistant Tool. If you to have faced this issue, here are a few things you could try.

Though you may have received the error while using the Upgrade Assistant, this error can typically arise when you are using Windows Update or updating your Windows Store apps too.

1] The first thing you want to do is to click on the Try again button. Chances are that the tool will be able to carry out the updating process successfully this time.

2] Make sure you are logged into your administrator account when you run the tool and disable your antivirus software before you begin.

3] If that does not help, clear the contents of the SoftwareDistribution folder and try again.

4] Use Media Creation Tool or download the Windows 10 ISO, create an installation media instead and try to update your computer.

5] If you still face issues, run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

6] There are some generic troubleshooting steps mentioned here in KB883821 for Microsoft Update. See if they apply to your scenario and operating system.

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Day 2 and still no success. Still at that darn black screen with the spinning circle. I've tried every possible solution. Giving up until further notice.
Even trying all helpful solutions from @Logethica posts ?
That's strange :confused:

What security tools let you run ?

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
@Paul Lee ...I found this from 13 hours ago, you may have already tried these steps..
If you have tried this and it didn't work then I will keep looking for a solution for you.

Fix Windows 10 Anniversary Update black screen issues

Many users are reporting they can’t use their machines after installing the Anniversary Update due to an error displaying a black screen and circular motion with white dots. Unlike other users, they can download the Windows 10 version 1607 package and install it on their computers, but once installation is complete, their machines stall and display a black screen with white dots.

Users are complaining about black screens and circular motion with white dots after Anniversary Update
It ran the installation file and downloaded the updates and i can see the percentage download til it got to 100 percent. Then it told me to restart my computer.

After restarting, it came to a black screen but i can see it was in processing mode with a circular motion with white dots over and over. I left the computer on for the next four hours and nothing happened. It still had a circular motion with white dots like it was processing. [..]

However i tried restarting my computer after this and my computer went back to the black screen and circular motion with white dots again. It wouldn’t go to the desktop.

It appears that this error occurs because the graphics card driver is not compatible with the Anniversary Update version. So far, all the users impacted by this problem had to roll back the their previous Windows versions to be able to use their computers.

The black screen issue doesn’t affect only old computers, newer ones, such as the HP Envy Phoenix 850-150qe are also plagued.

How to fix black screen issues in Anniversary Update
Solution 1 – Unplug external devices

Ideally, unplug all external devices when installing the Anniversary Update. If you have already installed the update, unplug all your devices, and then plug them in one at a time as you restart the computer.

In this manner you can detect which device triggers the black screen issue. Once you find out which device is causing this problem, you can contact your device manufacturer for support.

Solution 2 – Use the Windows Media Creation Tool
  1. Revert to your previous Windows version.
  2. Use this step-by-step guide to manually install the Anniversary Update.

Paul Lee

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2014
Even trying all helpful solutions from @Logethica posts ?
That's strange :confused:

What security tools let you run ?
Yes, I've tried using Windows upgrade assistant, Windows media tool, Windows update and I just attempted to upgrade via ISO which I made into a bootable USB flash drive. After I forcefully reboot, I get this message. Don't know if it's a legitimate error or if it's caused by force rebooting.

Attachments

• Screenshot.PNG
    Screenshot.PNG
    13.2 KB · Views: 447

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
@Paul Lee

0xC1900101-0x40017 and it says "The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation

These errors mean that the Windows 10 installation failed after the second system restart. They’re likely caused by faulty drivers or software. Here are the known drivers and software that cause these errors:

SteelSeries - Mouse and keyboard manufacture. The SteelSeries Engine is not currently supported in Windows 8.1. This causes issues when you try to upgrade to Windows 10. For more information, see the SteelSeries FAQ.

NVIDIA - Video card manufacture. Make sure that you have installed the latest video driver.

ESET - Antivirus and security-related products. See the ESET knowledge base to learn how to safely upgrade to Windows 10 with ESET products installed.

Trusteer Rapport - Credit card fraud protection software. Trusteer recommends that you install the available Windows 8.1 updates before you upgrade to Windows 10.

McAfee - Antivirus and security-related products. McAfee AntiVirus 8.8 Patch 3 is confirmed to be incompatible with Windows 10.

The following solutions can be used:

1. Clean boot into Windows, and then upgrade to Windows 10.
  2. Run Setup.exe for Windows 10 together with the /DynamicUpdate parameter. This parameter lets the Windows 10 setup program check for available driver updates during the setup process. See Windows 10 setup.exe command line switches.

Paul Lee

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2014
@Paul Lee

0xC1900101-0x40017 and it says "The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation

These errors mean that the Windows 10 installation failed after the second system restart. They’re likely caused by faulty drivers or software. Here are the known drivers and software that cause these errors:

SteelSeries - Mouse and keyboard manufacture. The SteelSeries Engine is not currently supported in Windows 8.1. This causes issues when you try to upgrade to Windows 10. For more information, see the SteelSeries FAQ.

NVIDIA - Video card manufacture. Make sure that you have installed the latest video driver.

ESET - Antivirus and security-related products. See the ESET knowledge base to learn how to safely upgrade to Windows 10 with ESET products installed.

Trusteer Rapport - Credit card fraud protection software. Trusteer recommends that you install the available Windows 8.1 updates before you upgrade to Windows 10.

McAfee - Antivirus and security-related products. McAfee AntiVirus 8.8 Patch 3 is confirmed to be incompatible with Windows 10.

The following solutions can be used:

1. Clean boot into Windows, and then upgrade to Windows 10.
  2. Run Setup.exe for Windows 10 together with the /DynamicUpdate parameter. This parameter lets the Windows 10 setup program check for available driver updates during the setup process. See Windows 10 setup.exe command line switches.
Thank you for your valuable tips. I shall give these a try and report back as soon as I can :D

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
That's great news, Paul..thank you,You are very welcome :)....I'm so happy that it all worked out OK in the end.:D

Great tips Logethica.

I'm still on installing windows 10 for first time, BUT...... installed %2 then this error
Error 0x80070057

This error can be several things... and I have success with my windows 7 updates, so I don't know??

I have a few unknown drivers, like where "WDDM 1.0 driver" should be.

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Great tips Logethica.

I'm still on installing windows 10 for first time, BUT...... installed %2 then this error
Error 0x80070057

This error can be several things... and I have success with my windows 7 updates, so I don't know??

I have a few unknown drivers, like where "WDDM 1.0 driver" should be.
Thanks @JakeXPMan :)

Maybe this will help..

Fix Windows 10 Error 0x80070057 During Anniversary Update Install

"The solution that worked for us involved disabling LAN/WAN or Internet access on the machine while the installer is verifying the downloaded Anniversary Update files.

With a disabled Internet connection, the update proceeds as expected without actually displaying the 0x80070057 error message.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Thanks @JakeXPMan :)

Maybe this will help..

Fix Windows 10 Error 0x80070057 During Anniversary Update Install

"The solution that worked for us involved disabling LAN/WAN or Internet access on the machine while the installer is verifying the downloaded Anniversary Update files.

With a disabled Internet connection, the update proceeds as expected without actually displaying the 0x80070057 error message.

so far so good... 44% complete, normally stalls out at %2....

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.