Advice Request Any opinions on Driver Fix?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Hello,
On my computer, Malwarebytes Web Guard and uBlock Origin blocks driverfix.com because of 'badware' and PUP.
Driverfix screenshots look like a rebranded IOBIT Driver Booster.

Kind regards,
-sepik
Okay thanks,
I was going to say, looks and performs a lot like IOBIT's... but I figured the rebranding was the other way around. oop!

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
*uBlock Origin has prevented the following page from loading:*

Wow my Ublock suddenly kicked in.... a little late!! Pfffft :p I have to uninstall, and be like a stereotype from Jersey... "FAH'GET ABOUT IT!"

I think I'm clearing my drive soon, so it shouldn't matter much.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
DriverFix Review: Best driver update software for Windows 10

Link above from Windows Club,
It seems like a nice safe updater... now do drivers benefit from the updates ?
It is based on DriverAgent (not Driver Booster), but has a different UI. It doesn't work very well, as it needs a bigger database of drivers. Unless you are missing drivers for some devices, or are experiencing issues with some devices. there's often not much need to update them. In some cases you can get performance increases by updating drivers. While this is a good thing, often not will you not notice any difference in performance and sometimes driver update software will install incompatible drivers which can cause issues, until the previous working driver is reinstalled.

The review at Windows Club is is misleading. While it states that "Outdated device drivers are one of the primary causes why your Windows PC could get Blue Screens," this is simply not true. You are actually much more likely to get blue screens, after updating drivers. For example, if a new driver is buggy, or not actually compatible with the device it was installed for. Outdated drivers, won't suddenly start causing blue screens due to being outdated. If a driver causes blue screens, it most likely be problematic from the moment it is installed.

If you do want to use a driver updater, I recommend DriverHub. It is free, has a very large database of drivers and works very well. It comes bundled with extra software, but due to recent changes to its installer, nothing extra gets installed unless you want it to. You have to manually choose if you want to install any extras or not, which is a welcome change. I prefer it to Driver Booster, because it has a larger database of drivers.

Hello,
On my computer, Malwarebytes Web Guard and uBlock Origin blocks driverfix.com because of 'badware' and PUP.
Driverfix screenshots look like a rebranded IOBIT Driver Booster.

As I mentioned above, it's not a rebrand of Driver Booster. It is not the only driver update software which has copied the UI of Driver Booster. With regards to it being a PUP, just about any type of driver update or cleaning software is often classified as PUPs these days. So the fact that it's classified as a PUP doesn't meant that it's harmful in any way.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
As I mentioned above, it's not a rebrand of Driver Booster. It is not the only driver update software which has copied the UI of Driver Booster. With regards to it being a PUP, just about any type of driver update or cleaning software is often classified as PUPs these days. So the fact that it's classified as a PUP doesn't meant that it's harmful in any way.
This whole post, filled with EXCELLENT INFOS ! YES, and good to know about the software and that it's not rebranding of Booster. So, I will only use a driver update product if I needed to find missing drivers. Which likely not.

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
A driver updater can be a lifesaver. Especially when dealing with older computers with old hardware and it saves time and nerves to install all the drivers with one good driver updater software, rather than hunting down drivers one-by-one from the internet and then install them one-by-one. And if windows 10 does not find suitable driver, it will usually install "generic" driver, which i don't like.

Thanks @roger_m, i'll check DriverHub. Might become handy, because i'm usually play with older puters and Driver Booster might not find all the drivers needed.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Thanks @roger_m, i'll check DriverHub. Might become handy, because i'm usually play with older puters and Driver Booster might not find all the drivers needed.
I'm regularly using older computers too and find it much more convenient to use automated driver update software, than manually downloading and installing drivers. I've never found any driver update software which will always find missing drivers, but DriverHub does a very good job. After it finishes scanning for updates, I switch it to Advanced Mode, which lets me choose which drivers it updates.

DriverAssist and Smart Driver Care are very good too. DriverAssist does not have a free version, but the trial version of Smart Driver Care, lets you update two drivers a day.

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
@roger_m
And sometimes older PC's with "strange" hardware, you can't even get networking to work nor chipset.
Then 3DP Chip comes to the rescue. It has offline database of networking drivers only and it can detect and install networking drivers, even on PC's with strange networking devices(wifi/lan). Helped me out several times. Usually Driver Updaters needs an internet connection, how can you update drivers if there's no network drivers installed? :)
That's why 3DP Chip is a keeper to get networking drivers installed.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
@roger_m
Usually Driver Updaters needs an internet connection, how can you update drivers if there's no network drivers installed? :)
I have download and extracted a wireless networking driver pack to a flash drive. I go to the missing network driver in Device Manager, select Update driver and browse the the driver pack folder. Sometimes I use the networking version of Driver CEO (driver update software from China).

The new Driver Booster 8, includes has an offline driver updater. You can run a scan on the computer without network access and is creates a file you import into Driver Booster on another computer to download the drivers.

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
It also re-branded the Microsoft Windows website appearance... :eek:
DriverFix | Driver Updater

Hello Jake, your link is blocked by Adguard butt no for kaspersky:

I believe that is a false positive.

1604142463461.png

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
An easier way is to keep 3D Chip and Net (network and chipset drivers)on a USB flash drive. Then install 3DP Net to a PC without networking drivers to get networking drivers installed. Once done, then install 3DP Chipset to get motherboard chipset drivers installed. Then update all the drivers with your favorite Driver Updater. I usually do this route.

Reactions: Cortex and roger_m

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
It is based on DriverAgent (not Driver Booster), but has a different UI. It doesn't work very well, as it needs a bigger database of drivers. Unless you are missing drivers for some devices, or are experiencing issues with some devices. there's often not much need to update them. In some cases you can get performance increases by updating drivers. While this is a good thing, often not will you not notice any difference in performance and sometimes driver update software will install incompatible drivers which can cause issues, until the previous working driver is reinstalled.

The review at Windows Club is is misleading. While it states that "Outdated device drivers are one of the primary causes why your Windows PC could get Blue Screens," this is simply not true. You are actually much more likely to get blue screens, after updating drivers. For example, if a new driver is buggy, or not actually compatible with the device it was installed for. Outdated drivers, won't suddenly start causing blue screens due to being outdated. If a driver causes blue screens, it most likely be problematic from the moment it is installed.

If you do want to use a driver updater, I recommend DriverHub. It is free, has a very large database of drivers and works very well. It comes bundled with extra software, but due to recent changes to its installer, nothing extra gets installed unless you want it to. You have to manually choose if you want to install any extras or not, which is a welcome change. I prefer it to Driver Booster, because it has a larger database of drivers.

How large is their data base, i can not find any info about it on their site?

Reactions: Cortex

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
They don't say. However based on my experience using it on tens of computers, it is larger than most driver updaters.

Ok.

Driver identifier i find to be a very good program that finds a lot.

Reactions: Cortex and roger_m
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

I just installed XP Pro on an old HP laptop. I was able to find a wireless driver and connect to my router but any website I try go to does not come up. I can not find the hardwire network driver for the life of me so any driver i get won't be found by the laptop online. HP does not support this old of a model anylonger. Any ideas?

Thanks

Reactions: Cortex

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.