Advice Request Any real IDM alternative in 2022?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Just bought a lifetime license for IDM last night. Have been using crack all these while

After trying

Ant Download Manager
Neat Download Manager
Xtreme Download Manager

I still say IDM is the best. Ant comes 2nd. I was downloading a movie last night with Ant and Xtreme Download Managers and it's in HLS format. After downloading my SMPlayer cannot play it. Even Windows movie players also cannot open the file

This morning I download the same movie with IDM and sure enough it can be played using SMPlayer.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Neat download manager combines file parts :(
I downloaded a 4GB windows ISO and it combined after downloading

Just bought a lifetime license for IDM last night. Have been using crack all these while

After trying

Ant Download Manager
Neat Download Manager
Xtreme Download Manager

I still say IDM is the best. Ant comes 2nd. I was downloading a movie last night with Ant and Xtreme Download Managers and it's in HLS format. After downloading my SMPlayer cannot play it. Even Windows movie players also cannot open the file

This morning I download the same movie with IDM and sure enough it can be played using SMPlayer.

This is a technique called segmented downloading which is a used to split a large file into several parts then joining it.
The joining part can sometimes be the cause of the corrupted data although this was an issue mostly in the past.

Some file-hosting sites will limit bandwidth per a connection eg. 10mb/s so if you make 5 connections you can download the same file at 50mb/s

You could disable this option if you don't want your files joined. It could also be IDM has a better rejoining technique.

If you have a "fast" internet connection then you probably should not be using the segmented download option for better data integrity.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
This is a technique called segmented downloading which is a used to split a large file into several parts then joining it.
The joining part can sometimes be the cause of the corrupted data although this was an issue mostly in the past.

Some file-hosting sites will limit bandwidth per a connection eg. 10mb/s so if you make 5 connections you can download the same file at 50mb/s

You could disable this option if you don't want your files joined. It could also be IDM has a better rejoining technique.

If you have a "fast" internet connection then you probably should not be using the segmented download option for better data integrity.
eagleget also creates multiple connections but it allocates some space in the disk and do not combine parts after the download

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
I wonder how it looks in practice. Small size is a plus
I would love to install it, but today I installed Ant Downloader Manager.
I will keep it on the disk, maybe a day like this will install it

Reactions: Nevi

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
FileCentipede is a nifty download manager with a plenty of features *although you need to add browser extension manually, and there is no 32bit version

1648331693487.png

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
XDM it's open source and real alternative to idm
Seconding this. XDM is a great free option that is extremely similar to IDM. I was an IDM user in the past, then switched to Eagleget which was better than IDM in its time, and ever since it's discontinued and taken down, I switched to XDM - Xtreme Download Manager which has all the bells and whistles to be a great alternative to IDM.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
T
FileCentipede is a nifty download manager with a plenty of features *although you need to add browser extension manually, and there is no 32bit version

Thanks for this recommendation. This looks like a really good alternative. I'll test it out for a few days. I've been using XDM for a couple of years, and probably its time to test some others. Its great to see the developer recommending other alternatives at the bottom of the page if users didn't like his product!

Make sure to manually install the browser extension to get the best of it's abilities.

I have a question though, what is the catalog feature in FileCentipede? Are they custom queues like what we have in IDM, XDM, Ninja etc? It doesn't seem to be working for me.

Last edited:

Abdel-Rezak

Level 1
Verified
Dec 2, 2018
Last edited by a moderator:

gin

Level 7
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
Try FireDM, it's open source and a cool Download Manager.
Link to download page of the program:
View attachment 265286
i've try it and this is the best one, can easily download soundcloud playlist :coffee:

Reactions: M4RT1NE2

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
What do you mean? 🤔
Apart from a common queue for all files added for download, certain download managers provide the ability to create multiple queues, where you can sort your files into different named queues (e.g. fitness videos, software's, yoga videos, Adele songs etc) and you can download each of these queue's separately or schedule them to download at a specific time. This is the multiple queue feature in download managers.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Apart from a common queue for all files added for download, certain download managers provide the ability to create multiple queues, where you can sort your files into different named queues (e.g. fitness videos, software's, yoga videos, Adele songs etc) and you can download each of these queue's separately or schedule them to download at a specific time. This is the multiple queue feature in download managers.
Even if it exist in this DM, I don't know where it can be configured. Never used those. 😅
Thx for the info.

Dhruv2193

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 7, 2016
Try FireDM, it's open source and a cool Download Manager.
Link to download page of the program:

View attachment 265286
It is a good app but wished it had a browser extension.

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I'm still using XDM because it can capture videos from many sites and has browser addons.

For downloading even while the PC is off, I use Jdownloader installed in a container in OMV, in an Raspberry Pi device. The download links are sent through their addon installed in the browser.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.