Advice Request Any real IDM alternative in 2022?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I'm still using XDM because it can capture videos from many sites and has browser addons.

For downloading even while the PC is off, I use Jdownloader installed in a container in OMV, in an Raspberry Pi device. The download links are sent through their addon installed in the browser.
As a long time user of XDM, I would like to suggest File Centipede as per @BoraMurdar recommendation. Day by day it's performing really well, and it's extremely lightweight. Now that XDM development isn't going anywhere, although it is loaded with a lot of features, it's probably a good choice to try this one out.

Abdel-Rezak

Level 1
Verified
Dec 2, 2018
Best free download manager : FireDM
Best payed download manager : IDM
All others download manager are full of adwares and unwanted toolbars.
I prefer IDM because it's the best.

IDM CSREENSHOT.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nevi and roger_m

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Free download manager: does not combine file parts after download although it doesn't catch videos in browser

most other DMs take time to combine -> high disk usage

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
As a long time user of XDM, I would like to suggest File Centipede as per @BoraMurdar recommendation. Day by day it's performing really well, and it's extremely lightweight. Now that XDM development isn't going anywhere, although it is loaded with a lot of features, it's probably a good choice to try this one out.
Thanks, it works great! I'll request for dark mode.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I'm currently using XDM. I have read somewhere the author is updating XDM again. We will rewrite all the code in a new language (i think it's python);

But i lost the link
Really? That's wonderful news.

Tiamati

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I found the link

View attachment 266836

Great news for sure. Trying it now and it works well so far.
Update: Works well for regular downloads and youtube. Capturing streaming videos have issues. Resource usage is low and it performs a lot faster now.

Last edited:

Abdel-Rezak

Level 1
Verified
Dec 2, 2018
This page is gone:
Try this one :
FIREDM SOFTPEDIA DOWNLAD.png

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I tried File Centipede with Firefox, and it can't download from the browser extension using the download button. I have to use the copy button. It can detect but not download everything. Finally, when I download from Youtube, it gets only the video with no audio; the audio's downloaded separately.

Second, I tried the new version of XDM, and it can't download from the browser extension. I also can't seem to download anything even when I enter the URL in the program.

Third, I tried FireDM, and it takes a long time to download some videos. It stays at 99 percent until the two indicator bars are finished, and for some sites there are lots of small video files created. And there's no browser extension.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
File centipede works pretty well but it has issues in youtube. The listing is confusing. Most options download without audio. Can't download 1080p with audio at all.
Also the download speed is slow on youtube but thats an issue I have with IDM as well.
Outside youtube it worked fine in my test.

Reactions: brambedkar59

amitkumargiri

Level 1
Mar 13, 2022
File centipede works pretty well but it has issues in youtube. The listing is confusing. Most options download without audio. Can't download 1080p with audio at all.
Also the download speed is slow on youtube but thats an issue I have with IDM as well.
Outside youtube it worked fine in my test.
Try XDM FREE AND OPEN SOURCE

Reactions: roger_m

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.