Advice Request Any real IDM alternative in 2022?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
I have been using the free Neat Downloader Manager for a long time.
It's pretty good for everyday

Reactions: roger_m

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
no, with free download manager or eagleget, they creates multiple connections but don't take time to combine parts. They place parts next to each other and combine them within no time. Neat, IDM or other download managers place parts randomly on the disk and combine after finishing. Easily noticed by my computer freezing when they are combining with significant spike in disk usage. This has never happened with EG and FDM
So, in this case Free Download Manager is the best choice, right? I am wondering why it is free and not paid.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
no, with free download manager or eagleget, they creates multiple connections but don't take time to combine parts. They place parts next to each other and combine them within no time. Neat, IDM or other download managers place parts randomly on the disk and combine after finishing. Easily noticed by my computer freezing when they are combining with significant spike in disk usage. This has never happened with EG and FDM
You also mentioned eagleget. Do you still use it or use mainly use FDM? In Download EagleGet - MajorGeeks says:
The project has been abandoned. We recommend you look elsewhere.

Where do you download the last version of eagleget? Thanks.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
So, in this case Free Download Manager is the best choice, right? I am wondering why it is free and not paid.
I don't know why it's free. It might be not the best but it suits me the best. I don't need it to catch links. I only want to download files when my browser's download manager is unacceptably slow. Chrome's default DM with parallel downloading enabled is good enough for me in most cases
You also mentioned eagleget. Do you still use it or use mainly use FDM? In Download EagleGet - MajorGeeks says:
The project has been abandoned. We recommend you look elsewhere.

Where do you download the last version of eagleget? Thanks.
eagleget is dead. It doesn't work with some websites so I don't recommend it. I switched FDM

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I honestly feel sorry for anyone, who is forced to use a download manager in 2022, even browsers support resume downloads, as long as you do not remove caches/cookies/temps.

Reactions: mlnevese and amirr

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I honestly feel sorry for anyone, who is forced to use a download manager in 2022, even browsers support resume downloads, as long as you do not remove caches/cookies/temps.
There are some reasons to use a download manager such as making sure the download will use all of your bandwidth. I have seen some files that go from 10MB/s when using the browser download manager to 40+MB/s when using a manger. Many will also handle things like video download. Ant Download Manager can even convert a video to an MP3 file on the fly, for instance.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Some download managers like JDownloader is much better than browsers for websites like mega and some other nasty ones with too much ads. I probably don't 'need' IDM these days but the browser is a poor alternative for JDownloader.
I may give up IDM if there is a good FOSS video downloader extension for firefox but haven't found any. Reddit only suggests youtube-dl which isn't the same thing.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
You can enable Parallel downloading via flags in some browsers.
This is what I get with Parallel Downloads on Edge:

2022-10-09.png

And this is with Ant Download Manager:

2022-10-09 (1).png

Restarted my computer and got an improvement on download speed but the download manager still gets a better result.

2022-10-09 (3).png

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Chromium download manager is buggy and slow as you can see in the screenshot.
Let me correct it for you: Windows network optimization is buggy. A guy had 300 Mbps speed on 1TB network before using TCP Optimizer. Windows defaults suck, there is no: all in one.

Chromium downloads it in 3 secs, Edge instantly, there is even no download window, but I have Edge optimized unlike Chromium. :)

capture_10132022_204329.jpg capture_10132022_205048.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.