Anyone goes Russian with their PC/Laptop setup before?

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Just thinking for my upcoming laptop.

With a Win 10 Pro Laptop use by me alone and running

1) Kaspersky IS - Will be using my own VPNs. And will be focusing more on its protection aspects so features like password manager, backup and encryption, parental controls, anti-theft, system tune up etc. are not my interest
2) Adguard for desktop
3) Yandex browser

Setting up of VM, use of double VPNs, TOR, BlackFog Privacy, use of Ungoogled Chromium/FF browsers can be considered

Surely Google will not touch me here, right? Like your frank inputs between BitDefender IS vs Kaspersky IS as well.

All comments are welcome.

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Very nice setup, I am looking forward to your experience. I expect to do something that strict in the future, I do not want to be jailed for my opinions.
I went Russian the day governments and big companies decided to censor "fake news". Like Google, Youtube, Twitter, Microsoft, FB, etc. I live in EU, so it only makes sense. Just yesterday Facebook did not allow me to post a link to a homeopathic webpage, talking about "fake" benefits of garlic.

I use Yandex and mail.ru. Gmail is used as a spam email, but because I am logged into youtube, Google is haunting me, showing ads on Facebook and other webpages with Google ads. I do not mind it that much, since they are usually spot on and I sometimes buy products from them. :whistle:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
They will, Google Analytics is everywhere.

Go KIS, but personally i rather just use WD and harden my OS via GPO for better security.
As far as Google analytics goes I'll take care with Adguard for desktop, BlackFog Privacy and some extensions.

Coming to think of using the right browser Ungoogled Chromium/FF with more extension support will be better than Yandex. Not all Chrome extensions are supported in Yandex browser.

I would want to try disabling WD, ransomware protection, exploit protection and firewall in Windows and let KIS do the job solely. Is KIS up to it? Any issue(s) you can see? Is KIS firewall independent or dependent on Windows firewall?

Thanks

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Surely Google will not touch me here, right?
If you want true privacy don't use any of these. To start with, don't use Windows 10. Go with Whonix or another privacy-oriented OS. The way Windows 10 is designed you will be sending telemetry every minute. To Microsoft, to Google, to everybody.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
If you want true privacy don't use any of these. To start with, don't use Windows 10. Go with Whonix or another privacy-oriented OS. The way Windows 10 is designed you will be sending telemetry every minute. To Microsoft, to Google, to everybody.
Yes, I'm aware of Whonix, Qubes and Linux but I'm most familiar with Windows. As far as telemetry is concerned there are software to lessen its impact like O&O Shutup 10 etc

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Exactly, i still wonder why people concerned keep trying to deploy dozen of anti privacy intrusions tools on Windows while using Linux is the easy way to obtain what they seek.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Exactly, i still wonder why people concerned keep trying to deploy dozen of anti privacy intrusions tools on Windows while using Linux is the easy way to obtain what they seek.
I'd be a Linux kid if it wasn't because of how difficult is to play League of Legends there, and if obtained is almost unplayable. Everything else I got covered.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
*laughs in Dota 2
I downloaded Dota2 on saturday and uninstalled it on Sunday. Low-budget LoL wannabe lmao.
@Robbie If you use Windows mostly for gaming, then privacy should be the last of your concerns. Haha
Yeah tbh I dual boot with Ubuntu (here I work, office garbage, youtube, random crap), and boot with W10 for gaming. Here all I have is antivirus, Edge Chrome and games. As well I try to reduce attack surface since security in Windows is like using a potato as a bullet shield.

Reactions: [correlate]

Zorro

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2019
I can say as Russian :) It is best if you go on the network according to the scheme: Your PC - VPN1 - Tor - VPN2 - Internet :) But isn’t it too difficult to just hide from Google?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.