Appguard Review

• Thread starter Deleted member 178
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Blue Ridge Networks AppGuard Review

Anti-Virus products have been a staple in computer security for a while. While they still have their place on todays PC’s it’s been proven time and time again that their reactive nature and the fact they rely heavily on signature database updates can leave computer users exposed to newer threats until the vendors catch up. With thousands of new variations of malware being released daily, it is virtually impossible for them to keep us protected from the newest ones all the time. HIPs (Host Intrusion Prevention) have become commonplace alongside Anti-Virus software and even combined with firewalls but in order to get the maximum protection from these the user must be relied upon to answer prompts. Just like Windows UAC, many users will eventually not even bother reading these prompts and will simply start allowing everything nullifying any potential benefits. To top it all off, every layer that gets added for protection results in a slightly heavier, more resource hungry suite. As such it can be difficult to find security software that is both effective and light. This is where a program created by Blue Ridge Networks comes in. This piece of software is called AppGuard and in an online world where many programs ‘claim’ to be innovative, this one earns it place as the most innovative that I have seen in a long while. How it works can take some time to understand and it’s easy to get confused or mixed up when first trying. I’ll try to explain anyway but the beauty of this program is that you don’t actually have to understand how it works to make use of it. It’s designed to run alongside just about any other security software, including your Anti-Virus.

read more via the link above.

Tiny

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 29, 2016
Tried it out alongside ReHIPS and it was very light. After about ten or so minutes to figure out which programs to set as guarded, I had no problems whatsoever.

Insignificant mistake I made was downloading 4.4.1.6 which had a 30 day evaluation period. Still, pretty solid. Plan on using it till it runs out to tinker further. Thanks to @Umbra & @Lockdown for help with proper configuration.:)

ParaXY

Level 6
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
I'd like to give AppGuard a try but when I visited their website I couldn't find a download link for a demo?

Some questions:

1. I see if you purchase this it is only valid for one year. What happens after a year? Does it stop working altogether or can you continue to use it but not download the latest version?
  2. Can it help with blocking malicious files on USB keys that are connected to a machine?
  3. Can AppGuard run side by side with AppLocker? I'm still unsure I even need AppGuard since I use AppLocker but am happy to hear I am wrong!
Thanks!

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I'd like to give AppGuard a try but when I visited their website I couldn't find a download link for a demo?

Some questions:

1. I see if you purchase this it is only valid for one year. What happens after a year? Does it stop working altogether or can you continue to use it but not download the latest version?
  2. Can it help with blocking malicious files on USB keys that are connected to a machine?
  3. Can AppGuard run side by side with AppLocker? I'm still unsure I even need AppGuard since I use AppLocker but am happy to hear I am wrong!
Thanks!
There is no more trials.

1 - no idea, i think the license stop and you revert to demo mode until you repurchase one. I can't confirm , since it was implemented less than a year.
2- Yes, USB/external devices are considered User-Space
3-i guess yes, they will just overlap, however AG will protect the memory and restrict access to folders. basically AG = Applocker but simpler and stronger

ParaXY

Level 6
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
Thanks Umbra. I'm assuming I would need the Personal version if I was to use AppGuard?

Argh, I really hate ongoing subscription fee based software that you can't buy outright!

I do like the fact that AG has the memory protection. This is something I am lacking.

There is very little reviews/Youtube videos on AG but the little that there is rates it highly!

Reactions: SHvFl
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Thanks Umbra. I'm assuming I would need the Personal version if I was to use AppGuard?
yes the "consumer" one.

I do like the fact that AG has the memory protection. This is something I am lacking.
It is why it is my main protection despite all built-in tool available in Win10.

There is very little reviews/Youtube videos on AG but the little that there is rates it highly!
Video Review - AppGuard on Windows 10- An Unconventional Use
Video Review - AppGuard against Ransomware
Video Review - Appguard vs Voodooshield

note that in some videos AG is on default settings.

ParaXY

Level 6
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
Thanks for the video links.

What is the current/latest version of AppGuard?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
v4.4.6.1 (end of life using old licensing version ) aka v5.2.9.1 (replacement using new licensing system)

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
@ParaXY

Lockdown said:
4.4.6.1 is the very last build of AppGuard Professional. It is no longer being developed.

There have been major changes to AppGuard consumer licensing, support, and trials:
  • AppGuard Professional (version 4.X.X.X) is End-of-Life
A. BRN will honor lifetime version licenses; those licenses shall remain activated with limited support
B. Version 4.4.6.1 will receive no further version updates, enhancements or bug fixes
C. Version 4.4.6.1 will only receive critical vulnerability fixes
  • The current major AppGuard consumer version is 5.X.X.X; AppGuard Personal (5.2.9.1) and AppGuard Business (5.2.9.1)
  • AppGuard lifetime version licenses are no longer sold; AppGuard consumer licenses are now annual subscription-only
  • An AppGuard Professional (version 4.X.X.X and earlier) cannot be upgraded to version 5.X.X.X; version 5 must be purchased
  • Trials of AppGuard consumer are no longer offered; AppGuard consumer is now purchase-only
I expect AppGuard Personal and AppGuard Business to offer different features between the two in the future.

ParaXY

Level 6
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
Is there an up to date PDF manual I could download to read up about AppGuard?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I'm really keen on AppGuard but not having a demo available anymore is really annoying. Not sure how I am meant to evaluate this product without a trial/demo...
Believe, it is the one app i will buy eye closed :D

Is there an up to date PDF manual I could download to read up about AppGuard?

nope :p

however, a review there: (which even explain better than the help file ^^ )

User Review - AppGuard

ParaXY

Level 6
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
It will but why. No reason to keep using applocker when you have appguard.

Yeah, just trying to figure out how this will all fit together on my machine. I like AppLocker and may even give Device Guard another chance after reading some more on it today. Does Device Guard give memory protection?

Thread author
Yeah, just trying to figure out how this will all fit together on my machine. I like AppLocker and may even give Device Guard another chance after reading some more on it today. Does Device Guard give memory protection?

Device Guard is only available on Education\Enterprise versions of Windows.

The articles on TechNet and MSDN do a dis-service when they do not explicitly state at the top of the page - "Windows 10 Education\Enterprise only" instead of just "Windows 10."

All the most advanced features in Group Policy, Windows Defender, Application Control, etc - are always only available on Education\Enterprise versions of Windows - and those advanced features never get filtered-down to Pro or Home versions. They remain only available on Education\Enterprise so that Microsoft can justify the huge cost of the Education\Enterprise licenses.

In fact, some of the advanced features - like Windows Defender APT - are not even included in the base Education\Enterprise license, but must instead be purchased separately as an add-on. Some are one-time fees and others are annual subscription add-ons.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.