Appguard Review

• Thread starter Deleted member 178
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
This was purchased and I have entered my license details. It activated successfully.

Ok so I can't uninstall AppGuard. I have checked "Stop self protection" and tried putting the slider to the "Off" mode and also tried stopping the service but every time I try to uninstall I get (even when logged in as my admin account):

I thought it may by AppLocker blocking something but it's not this as the logs are clear. Also tried making myself a Superuser but this didn't help.

Help please :cool:

are you on SUA?

Reactions: askmark and SHvFl

ParaXY

Level 6
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
Ok so I managed to uninstall but not using the "Programs & Features". I had to rerun the AppGuard installer and it then proceeded with the uninstall. I then rebooted and reinstalled and rebooted again but I am still getting the same errors when changing the slider. I've tried "Restore all settings to default" but even that errors with the same error I posted earlier. I uninstalled using my admin account but have only tried changing the slider with my SUA account.

I have set AppLocker to audit mode so it doesn't interfere. Nothings getting blocked in Event Viewer.

Ideas? Not sure what to try next. I don't have any other security products running except WFC but I have disabled my firewall temporarily while troubleshooting this.

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Ok so I managed to uninstall but not using the "Programs & Features". I had to rerun the AppGuard installer and it then proceeded with the uninstall. I then rebooted and reinstalled and rebooted again but I am still getting the same errors when changing the slider. I've tried "Restore all settings to default" but even that errors with the same error I posted earlier. I uninstalled using my admin account but have only tried changing the slider with my SUA account.

I have set AppLocker to audit mode so it doesn't interfere. Nothings getting blocked in Event Viewer.

Ideas? Not sure what to try next. I don't have any other security products running except WFC but I have disabled my firewall temporarily while troubleshooting this.
You could try using Sysinternals' Process Monitor, with a filter that includes only the AppGuard processes. Then look for any file and registry blocks when you change the slider.

Reactions: Andy Ful
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Ok so I managed to uninstall but not using the "Programs & Features". I had to rerun the AppGuard installer and it then proceeded with the uninstall.
oh i had this one too, i thought it was my system...good to know...i will tell @Lockdown about it.

I then rebooted and reinstalled and rebooted again but I am still getting the same errors when changing the slider. I've tried "Restore all settings to default" but even that errors with the same error I posted earlier. I uninstalled using my admin account but have only tried changing the slider with my SUA account.
does AG is barebone or did you makes some changes in it?
SUA shouldn't have influence on AG.

I recall someone having that issue, but can't remember the fix...@Lockdown will surely know.

ParaXY

Level 6
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
oh i had this one too, i thought it was my system...good to know...i will tell @Lockdown about it.

does AG is barebone or did you makes some changes in it?
SUA shouldn't have influence on AG.

I recall someone having that issue, but can't remember the fix...@Lockdown will surely know.

I literally installed it, all defaults, not a single change and after reading your post about lock down mode I got this error when trying to enable it. Very odd, Hopefully @Lockdown can help (oh now I get his username lol).

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
@ParaXY , just by chance, do you have some partitions or folders named with special characters (other than letters and numbers )?

ParaXY

Level 6
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
@ParaXY , just by chance, do you have some partitions or folders named with special characters (other than letters and numbers )?

I'd say no:

upload_2017-5-20_16-26-26.png

Oh just saw you mentioned folders too. I have some folders like this on my D: drive:

# Paid - CCleaner

Last edited:

ParaXY

Level 6
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
I have completely disabled AppLocker so this is not causing the issue.

Oddily, even after getting the AppGuard error when changing the slider (or other settings) it still enables lock down mode (I think?). I have the padlock AppGuard icon in system try.

Or not (?):

upload_2017-5-20_16-33-8.png

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Oh just saw you mentioned folders too. I have some folders like this on my D: drive:
# Paid - CCleaner
remove the special characters to see, because AG doesn't support paths with them.

ParaXY

Level 6
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
Didn't make a difference. Would a "-" cause an issue? Like:

TO READ - KINDLE

Guess I should ask, what is considered a special character for AppGuard?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Didn't make a difference. Would a "-" cause an issue? Like:

TO READ - KINDLE

Guess I should ask, what is considered a special character for AppGuard?

try without the " - "

ParaXY

Level 6
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
Can I exclude all non system drives from AppGuard just to test if this is what is causing the issue?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
i see nothing wrong, you didn't add partitions or folders in user-space tab right?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
so i guess we will have to wait @Lockdown .

the only thing i can think about is to clean install the OS , update it , install drivers & needed softs then AG. (which is the most recommended procedure when installing AG).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.