New Update Apple Releases Rapid Security Response Updates for iOS 16.4.1 and macOS 13.3.1

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Apple today released Rapid Security Response (RSR) updates that are available for iPhone and iPad users running the iOS 16.4.1 update and Mac users running macOS 13.3.1. These are the first public RSR updates that Apple has released to date.

Rapid Security Response updates 16.4.1 (a) and macOS 13.3.1 (a) are designed to provide iOS 16.4.1 users and macOS 13.3.1 users with security fixes without the need to install a full software update.

iOS Security Response 16.4.1 is available through the standard Software Update mechanism in the ‌iPhone‌ or ‌iPad‌ Settings app, but is a quick update, requiring just a couple of minutes to download the update and then a quick restart for the install process. The macOS update can be installed through System Settings.

Once the ‌iPhone‌ Rapid Security Response update is installed, iOS 16.4.1 users will see an updated version of the software, and tapping on the version in the About section of Settings will display information about the installed iOS version and the Rapid Security Response update. Those who want to disable Rapid Security Response updates on ‌iPhone‌ can do so by following our how to. The updates can also be disabled on the Mac.

The rest

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Well, my instant security update was a disaster, like so many other’s reportedly.

I’m obviously not the only one either…

IMG_1267.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Where you able to revert the system with a backup/timemachine?
Nah, had to erase the disk and reinstall Ventura from scratch first. Unfortunately, after 7 hours, it dropped the server link and I haven’t been able to reconnect. Update stopped my MBP from connecting to the net even though the wifi icon on the status bar indicated full strength signal.

Very weird. Unfortunately this is the worst time of day for internet speed here, so I’m expecting to redo the whole process in the early hours overnight. Thankfully I have my trusty iPhone to use if needs be.

My MBP drive and Time Machine SSD are both encrypted so I’m expecting a long haul.

So, I suggest any Apple user’s to be a bit wary of doing this update for a day or two, maybe. Keep an eye on the tech media. I know I will be…

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Well, all good finally...

That's not an experience I want to go through every day... I think they can stick their Beta program where the...

Footnote: Just installed Immediate Security Update 13.3.1(a) with no issues.

Last edited:
  • Applause
Reactions: JB007

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.