Are the Emsisoft alerts clear enough for beginners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8WARE

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2014
Hello everyone,

I tried EIS for sometime and I found that one of his strength is BB, and it monitors any active process. But I want to ask the members, and especially the beginners about the alerts of BB or firewall: Are these alerts easy to understand, and do they offer enough details?

I have some suggestions in the below images, and I would like to know your opinion about them.

Alerts must contain more details, like seen below in the red and blue frame.
Note : the details within the frame (red and blue) DO NOT exist when the alerts is showed.

26duQ.png

26duR.png

Last edited by a moderator:

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Curious: by implementing the suggestions (those in the boxes), what could one get? How does this information going to help a user?
E.g. by knowing the country what kind of information can we deduce? and how does this impact our decision making (as to whether allow or block).

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
So far the alerts are accompanied as possible through their AMN + considering the default action taken as safety purpose.

If we are speaking if its clear for beginners then definitely that's another story, since any products may be useless when the beginner does not understand anything within the background knowledge as long supervise why the alerts are suppose to happen on that way,

These are a standard procedure to make the user decide since the program made to detect suspicious does not now everything and any verdict are not from them as its not been analyzed.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
For the basic user the added information would probably be of no help.To be honest the alerts as they are now are probably a bit intimidating to a basic user.
For an experienced user the alerts are fine as they are now.I have used it for a long time and found no problems with the alerts or a need for additional information.
I think Emsisoft is trying to find a balance for all types of users especially with a powerful BB that can be chatty at times and more information would probably just confuse basic users and really provide no added advantage to the experienced user.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Extra details should be hidden, and only shown when requested by the user. I also do not like the 2 ALLOW buttons, what if you press the wrong one?

Attached an edited image.
upload_2016-1-8_15-56-15.png

Excuse the poor quality, edits created in MS Paint.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Extra details should be hidden, and only shown when requested by the user. I also do not like the 2 ALLOW buttons, what if you press the wrong one?
I agree the choices for what to do with an alert is something Emsisoft could definitely look at changing.Which would be very beneficial to the basic user

N8WARE

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2014
Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing a little more detail in the alerts as well.

Btw, are you same user that made this thread?
are EIS alerts showing enough details? ? - Feedback, Comments and Suggestions - Emsisoft Support Forums

yep

Curious: by implementing the suggestions (those in the boxes), what could one get? How does this information going to help a user?
E.g. by knowing the country what kind of information can we deduce? and how does this impact our decision making (as to whether allow or block).

what about all other seggestions sir ?

everyone look to the example of IDM trying to manipulate process , so tell me guys is it so important to know what is this panipulated process and its location before decide the action?

A software want to modify a registery entry, is it important to show what is this key and the tree like (ewample):

hklm/software/wow64/micro/win/current ver/run/example.... shouldnt that appear in the alert,?

how about A software wana connect to the web using some DNS values other then your in the system, shouldnt that appear in the alert for preventing some kind of DNs hijacking ?

tell me is it te goal of the alert is to show maximum info about whats going on so can the user decide better ?

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@N8WARE: As much as possible yes but in novice users and below should be rely on the straightforward matter and that's how AMN works to guide the overall similar alerts.

Honestly Emsisoft should implemented like the color coding style of Outpost in order that a user is convince on the alerts taken.

Another yes because we need to apply the important details that any users may want to investigate + a pure BB does not identify if the program is safe or not as again it just monitor any ruleset that can match.

H

hjlbx

Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing a little more detail in the alerts as well.

Btw, are you same user that made this thread?
are EIS alerts showing enough details? ? - Feedback, Comments and Suggestions - Emsisoft Support Forums

@Huracan
@illumination
@jamescv7

Official Emsisoft policy is to reduce the amount of infos in alerts - with the ultimate goal to completely eliminate alerts altogether.

I kid you not... Emsisoft wants to ultimately make all correct security decisions for the user - and thus - require no alerts and thereby no input from the user.

That's all great, but until Emsi becomes SkyNet, my argument a long while ago was that I need more, clear infos to make decisions !

My request was snubbed.

Oh snap... !!!

Reactions: SHvFl

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
The alerts are fine as they are for advanced users. Those who used outpost will agree emsisoft ones are simplified if you compare to outpost. For new user or casual user however I believe @Huracan comment is spot on. To be honest when I ran Mamutu I hardly had any alerts. On recent usage of eam however I did have some alerts but because I knew its origin I did not pay much attention to its details. Norton alerts for example are more suited for new players.
I believe in the end it is best to find a middle ground between how a solution provides its alerts for both new and advanced users. I however also agree with automatic decisions granted they are done correctly while giving the option for manual decisions should the user op to.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
@Inkurax
"The alerts are fine as they are for advanced users."
If that's the case, then there shouldn't be any problem with adding more details.

H

hjlbx

@Inkurax
If that's the case, then there shouldn't be any problem with adding more details.

Emsisoft can provide better infos in their alerts.

Like I said, optimal infos in alerts is not a priority.

Best option for beginner is just to Block, since Block rules can be deleted - so nothing is really broken permanently.

After beginner learns soft then it will turn out OK - generally...

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
@Inkurax
Take outpost for example. Too much details and sometimes confusing for advanced users.
Enough info for advanced users while balancing a medium. Remember what can be enough for one cannot be enough for another. It's a never ending cycle and no solution can please everyone and that's a fact

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Take outpost for example. Too much details and sometimes confusing for advanced users.
Enough info for advanced users while balancing a medium. Remember what can be enough for one cannot be enough for another. It's a never ending cycle and no solution can please everyone and that's a fact

Precisely. I'm pretty happy with EAM/EIS. Very few alert to user. In fact as a basic user wanted. Purely install and forget. :)

Reactions: Mihir :-)

mmmory

Level 2
Verified
Nov 4, 2013
I'm using EAM on my notebook and it's behavior blocker alerts even for the most legitimate programs. That's kind of annoying, especially for a basic user. In the future, how can they be sure about those alerts for an unknown file? Maybe it's actually harmless or harmful, but there is no way of telling since it's literally showing alerts for the well known software too.

I even had to allow Steam services for couple of times in order to launch properly. And it asks me to update those rules everytime when Steam updates itself...

Reactions: darko999

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
The issue here is not the number of alerts. I think we can all agree that Emsisoft is greatly optimized to give minimum alerts combine that with its Antimalware Networks which automates many of those alerts.

The issue is with those few alerts that do show up. It is true that too much information might not be beneficial for some users. However the opposite can also be true, too little information might be bad as well.

The question that's being ask is if Emsisoft has achieved a perfect balance, not too much not too little info.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
there will never be an answer to the following questions:
Is it balanced
Is it too much
Is it too little

reason being: every individual has a different opinion. Cant keep everyone happy.

On the same token, if Emsisoft feels they have achieved a balance, others will not, but ultimately will be Emsisoft decision since its their product.

Reactions: Azure

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
there will never be an answer to the following questions:
Is it balanced
Is it too much
Is it too little

reason being: every individual has a different opinion. Cant keep everyone happy.

On the same token, if Emsisoft feels they have achieved a balance, others will not, but ultimately will be Emsisoft decision since its their product.
Agreed. It is Emsisoft product and they have the right to decide what to do. And I'm fine with that.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
I wouldn't recommend Emsisoft to anyone who can't clean cookies on their browser, Kaspersky on default settings would do a better job.

Reactions: Rishi
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.