Advice Request Are you using an 64-bit OS?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Are you using an 64-bit OS?

• Total voters

midzan21

Level 1
Verified
Mar 8, 2015
32-bit OS-es were on my old PC for almost 10 years, and in last 4 years I have changed a lot of 64-bit OS-es (from Windows 7 up to latest Windows 10 TP and even few times I tried OS X on my rig... Linux distros are mostly 64-bit except for maybe twice when I used 32-bit Ubuntu for compiling CM7 from sources to my old smartphone)

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
Win 8.1 64bit on my lappy!

Win 7 64bit on my desktop!

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
I'm on 32 bit Win7 because I have only 4GB of RAM. Up to that point 32bit is more efficient and therefore faster. Also, I work on many netbooks, 90% of which are 32bit because they have at most 2GB RAM. The ones that have 64bit, some of the 11.6" jobs, shouldn't because of the weak processor. Once you get to 3-4GB the choice of bittage is a toss-up. After that, it's got to be 64bit of course. And if you want to use virtual machines, loading up on RAM is a big plus.

Reactions: Kuttz and frogboy

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Dual booting Windows 7 x64 with Ubuntu 64bit. I have 6GB of RAM and find it dumb to use 32bit if you have more than 3.5GB of RAM. I also believe 64bit to be more secure than 32bit and has shown to do everything at least somewhat faster (depending on what you are using). Never faced with an incompatibility with 32bit software.

32bit for 13 years, 64 bit for about 3 or so.

ScaleCraft

Jan 22, 2015
Since I use both 32 and 64, I just chose "latest". My box is XP Pro 32, wife has been XP Pro 64 for a loong time. I just got a new box, Dell Precision 490, and was handed the original Dell discs, so it is now XP Pro 64, all fed to the same big monitor.
My Nikon Camera download software will not work with XP 64 bit....not because it's 64, but because it looks for SP3.
Since XP 64 never had a SP3, it won't even load.

H

hjlbx

W8.1-64 all systems.

No problems related to the fact that system is 64-bit - as far as I have been able to ascertain.

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
I am now on x64, having switched from Win7 to LinuxLite (which I'm really liking), and I would recommend x64 for anyone with 4gb of Ram. Maybe it's the OS itself, regardless of bittage, but the system feels more solid. And now I'm free to up the RAM above its current 4.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I have been x64 since the beta of Windows 7, 2008 I think.
Wow it does not feel all that long ago :(
Where are the years going lol

Reactions: Kuttz

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Those who have systems with RAM 4GB or below 32 bit OS is the most efficient to use. A 64 bit OS consumes more memory and resources because a 64 bit OS contain both 32 bit and 64 bit OS files for compatibility purposes because not all apps available are 64 bit.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
When I voted I was on a 32 bit Desktop, but replaced that with a Windows 7 Home / 64 bit

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.