Advice Request Are you using an 64-bit OS?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Are you using an 64-bit OS?

• Total voters

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
I keep a 32 bit OS (XP) running on a virtual machine, in case I need to to run some very old software that won't install/run on the latest Windows. But in general I would only use a 64-bit OS on my main computer, because fewer developers are supporting 32-bit versions of new software.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018

I remember a stack of old 16-bit 8086's at work that had been in a closet for many years... I should have grabbed one of those chips... just to keep a little piece of computer history.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I've been running 64bit OS since release of Windows Vista. Yeah, that one. It was the first OS that had reasonable 64bit driver support. WinXP 64bit Edition was something I preferred not to bother with since support was pretty bad in general.

Nevi

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
I dont even remember how long it is since I used 32bit. It was in the XP days. I wouldn't mind using 32bit, if it was just as safe as 64bit, and could use at least 8GB RAM.
I liked XP though.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.