Ashampoo Anti-Virus! 2020

lThinkFreel

Level 2
Jun 24, 2019
Ashampoo Anti-Virus 2020 is a rebranded version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware Home. Both products share the same protection technology (dual engine, behavior blocker, etc.) but online features like the Emsisoft Cloud Console for remote management are only available on the Emsisoft brand. Ashampoo Anti-Virus also uses its own licensing component which does not rely on Emsisoft user accounts.
Thanks for the Answer, appricated it. So the protection at the end is the same? One Last question. Does ashampoo get protection module updates too? Because the old ashampoo version stopped updating after abit of time for example it would not work on win10 or is heavy buggy. They changed the license system from 1 year licenses to yearly automatic payments. That means they get new modules longer than the Last version, or?

Reactions: Divine_Barakah

Andrew3000

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Feb 8, 2016
Ashampoo Anti-Virus 2020 is a rebranded version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware Home. Both products share the same protection technology (dual engine, behavior blocker, etc.) but online features like the Emsisoft Cloud Console for remote management are only available on the Emsisoft brand. Ashampoo Anti-Virus also uses its own licensing component which does not rely on Emsisoft user accounts.

It's included the Anti Malware Network in Ashampoo Anti Virus?

Reactions: Divine_Barakah

Emsisoft

From Emsisoft
Verified
Developer
Jul 27, 2013
So the protection at the end is the same? One Last question. Does ashampoo get protection module updates too? Because the old ashampoo version stopped updating after abit of time for example it would not work on Windows 10 or is heavy buggy. They changed the license system from 1 year licenses to yearly automatic payments. That means they get new modules longer than the Last version, or?

All protection features of the main product are the same. However, the additional surf-protection browser extensions are currently not included in Ashampoo.
Technically both products share the same codebase but due to the customizations and extra testing procedures, Ashampoo releases may be 1-3 months behind Emsisoft Anti-Malware's 'Stable' update feed. Signatures are the same at all times though.
The software will be supported and provided with updates for as long as our partnership with Ashampoo is up and maintenance is requested by them.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I don't understand why Ashampoo have made an AV with the help of Emsisoft as it's backbone. Honestly doesn't make any logical sense.

~LDogg

Good point, indeed. What if Ashampoo licences Avira engine and develop their own behavioural detection technology? Anyway, Emsisoft is a great product and Ashampoo has a very big user base ( I guess), so both companies will benefits from this partnership.

Reactions: oldschool

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Good point, indeed. What if Ashampoo licences Avira engine and develop their own behavioural detection technology? Anyway, Emsisoft is a great product and Ashampoo has a very big user base ( I guess), so both companies will benefits from this partnership.

Costs, lack of resources and expertise; to develop in-house technologies is a very hard and expensive job.

Thats why Bitdefender offers this kind of service:

Edit:

Vipre is a rebrand of? Bitdefender? Honestly, I am surprised to know that Vipre is a rebrand.

Yes, it is a full rebrand of Bitdefender.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Why Ashampoo has made this partnership with Emsisoft?

I will quote Bitdefender marketing with the reasons:

• Increase sales from existing customer by offering its own branded security solution.
  • Generate more revenue compared to reselling a product.
  • Expand its company brand presence.
  • Bundle its solution with other products to increase average selling price.
  • Tap into new markets with security products.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
It's like an entrepreneur stealing an idea from someone else, making the idea come reality and then shipping it out as a product.

~LDogg

Not trying to being disrespectful but this is a very naive and simple way of thinking, there are many vendors that do this kind of technological partnership, be it with a full rebrand (like VIPRE) or with a SDK (like F-Secure/Emsisoft/Zone Alarm/G-Data).

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Not trying to being disrespectful but this is a very naive and simple way of thinking, there are many vendors that do this kind of technological partnership, be it with a full rebrand (like VIPRE) or with a SDK (like F-Secure/Emsisoft/Zone Alarm/G-Data).
No disrespect at all my friend, I just find this approach to be illogical. It's a like pair a sneakers, you can get knockoffs of a product but can never be close to the real thing.

~LDogg

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
No disrespect at all my friend, I just find this approach to be illogical. It's a like pair a sneakers, you can get knockoffs of a product but can never be close to the real thing.

~LDogg

Take a look here, Bitdefender marketing team explains the advantagens much better than me:

Emsisoft

From Emsisoft
Verified
Developer
Jul 27, 2013
Please keep in mind that 'technology' and 'branding/sales' are two very different things. Each software vendor has their own market positioning and a very unique target audience for their products. From that perspective it indeed makes sense for vendors to maintain partnerships with other vendors on the technology part and separately market their products through their own brands.

Development and ongoing maintenance of antivirus software is time expensive so it clearly pays off to consolidate works to just one specialized development team that can create a number of different brands with relatively little effort. Pretty much all antivirus vendors offer rebranded/whitelabeled solutions, be it for special distribution channels (e.g. supermarkets, etc. that run their own home brands) or telecoms that require further customization to integrate licensing with their own billing systems.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.