Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
D

Deleted member 65228

There was some talk about how the program was changing execution policy.
'Kernel memory leaking' Intel processor design flaw forces Linux, Windows redesign
The Ashampoo Meltdown/Spectre checker utility is a managed executable (C#.NET/VB.NET).

1. Creates a new worker thread to execute the checks (optimisation -> performance).
2. Expands environment variable data for PowerShell.exe ("SystemDrive:\\WINDOWS\\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe")
3. Checks if the version for PowerShell can be retrieved or not. If this fails then the checking utility aborts the operation.
4. Checks if the version of PowerShell is specifically 5 or any other version.
Version 5 -> Stores data in a List (of type String).
Any other version -> Downloads an archive to a temporary location ("https://gallery.technet.microsoft.c...e36f0050/file/185258/1/SpeculationControl.zip") and stores data in a List (of type String).

If the version of PowerShell is 5 then the following data is saved to the List (of type String) -> each entry will be a PowerShell command.
Code:
1." $SaveExecutionPolicy = Get-ExecutionPolicy"
2. "Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned -Force -Scope Currentuser"
3. "CD DIRECTORY_WHERE_THE_DOWNLOAD_WAS\SpeculationControl "
4. "Import-Module .\SpeculationControl.psm1"
5. "Get-SpeculationControlSettings > TEMPORARYPATH"
6. "Set-ExecutionPolicy $SaveExecutionPolicy -Force -Scope Currentuser"
7. "Uninstall-Module -Force SpeculationControl"

If the version of PowerShell is not 5 then the following data is stored to the List (of type String).
Code:
1. "Install-PackageProvider -Name NuGet -MinimumVersion 2.8.5.201 -Force"
2. "Install-Module -Force SpeculationControl"
3. "$SaveExecutionPolicy = Get-ExecutionPolicy"
4. "Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned -Force -Scope Currentuser"
5. "Import-Module SpeculationControl", "Get-SpeculationControlSettings > TEMPORARYPATH"
6. "Set-ExecutionPolicy $SaveExecutionPolicy -Force -Scope Currentuser"
7. "Uninstall-Module -Force SpeculationControl"

The arguments for the PowerShell process will be: "-NoProfile -InputFormat None -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Command".

The utility will then execute PowerShell.exe with a hidden window for each command held under the List.

After the PowerShell process start-ups, the results are comprehended to display the correct UI characteristics.

So as we can see, "itman" member from Wilders Security is correct. The utility should notify you if an error occurs and revert back, not leave it modified but not set back.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
they never update BIOS for old models...
I'm doomed?
Intel released new microcode
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27337/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File?v=t

You know what's the funniest thing is that just a few weeks ago, Mill Computing had a presentation on their architecture and it just so happens they had a patent on how to fix this 2 years ago..
DSsNyWAVAAECkCP.jpg:large
You guys can try an OS level fix with updated microcode until Vendor decides to patch it
The same as everyone. :(
Variant 2 Spectre patch isn't available as of now. Variant 1 and 3 are mitigated by OS and microcode patches.

D

Deleted member 65228

How long does that checker thing take?? Been running agesssssss
That's a sign that it isn't working for you. I encountered the same at the start... The reason for why it continuously ran for me was because I had configured settings for PowerShell via Group Policy and it couldn't function with the changes I had set on the environment.

Have you disabled PowerShell or changed any settings for it prior to running the program?

Reactions: ElectricSheep

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
That's a sign that it isn't working for you. I encountered the same at the start... The reason for why it continuously ran for me was because I had configured settings for PowerShell via Group Policy and it couldn't function with the changes I had set on the environment.

Have you disabled PowerShell or changed any settings for it prior to running the program?

Dunno - digging around, it's enabled cos it runs but that's as far as I know. Rarely use that function anyway

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
when i said "probably" means you are doomed not getting updated drivers/BIOS.

I have a z170 board, it isn't too old so it might get a bios update but even if it does I don't think I will install it

The first benchmarks came out from testing an Asus z370 board and storage performance really takes a hit, really pummels NVME drives (which I have).

I don't think taking that performance hit is worth it over all this paranoia. You and many others who actually work in the security business have stated that this exploit is a long way from being understood how to use by malware creators. Even then these exploits are hardware/firmware based which if I remember correctly from something I read on this site, is an avenue malware creators don't usually bother with, right? Also, these exploits would be really difficult to pull off and would require very skilled individuals with some impressive resources.

All this doesn't appear to be anything that would ever impact the majority of users. I'm not going to take that huge hit on the performance of my NVME drives because of paranoia. I paid good money for that speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.