Troubleshoot AV software causes black screen and slow boot (my experience)

Feliks Zemdegs

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 3, 2018
Hello everyone!

There’s a lot threads about the comparison between free AV software. Here is my problem and my suggestion.

I used Avast about 5 yeas ago, since I had a really slow laptop until 6 months ago on a faster computer (My PC is Asus K55A, i5 3230M with 8 GB RAM, HDD). All the time I used Avast, I got the problem with very slow boot. My boot usually had a black screen after Welcome screen. Here is my thread on Avast forum about that with a video, please read it carefully about solution I have tried (fresh install Windows 7, clean-up system, defrag the HDD, update regularly, etc.) Avast causes slow boot and black screen

Video:

Following the article series “Windows Enterprise Client Boot and Logon Optimization” Windows Enterprise Client Boot and Logon Optimization – Part 14, Boot Phase – Explorer Initialization , the author told me there are two reasons:

- The HDD causes low speed read/write, while Avast used a lot of disk usage on start-up

- The Prefetch (function of Windows, loading some often used programs) isn’t trained very good, which is also caused by Avast probably

The author suggested a SSD replacement. It might help maybe, but if you look at the comment section of my video, one guy says that he has the problem even with SSD.

The video also shows that Avast is the root cause for the slow boot with black screen problem, but I have no idea why it happened on some people, not all.

Next I tried Bitdefender Free for 6 months until recently. The PC seems faster, however, blackscreen still happens sometimes (6 times every week).

For that reason, I uninstall Bitdefender and have installed Panda Free recently. Surprisingly, my PC boots pretty fast.

My review about the 3 softwares on my PC:

- Avast: makes the PC boot very slowly with black screen delay, high disk usage during start-up time, takes about 1 minute since the Desktop appears to be ready to use, then, loading files on Windows Explorer very quickly.

- Bitdefender: PC boots slightly faster, black sreen less usually, 45 seconds to be ready to use. However, the Windows Explorer loads thumbnails of files slowly (or even I think, it rebuilds thumbnails cache each time I open PC). Bitdefender also makes some legal sites unaccessible without noticing (I open my university site on Chrome, the browser can’t load the site, then I tried to disable Bitdefender, I can open the site quickly).

- Panda: PC boots fast, black screen hasn’t appeared (I’m not sure 100% in the future). Explorer loads files quickly

My comparison about performance seems different from what people often says on MalwareTips forum, which suggests Avast is very light, and Panda is slow.

So I ask myself does the personal data also causes the slow boot with Avast and Bit, especially on Avast? If it’s true, it can explain why the problem happens just with some people, not everyone.

My Data: Documents (2 GB) on C partition, others (Download (1 GB), Pictures(80GB), Videos(70GB) on D Partition (70 GB free space), Windows 10 dual boot on E partition).

I’m continuing testing Panda to see will it happen again. But for now, I think the most important is a AV software isn’t the best for every users. Bitdefender, Avast, Panda, Kaspersky are great brands to choose which is best for you. If you often install OS for other people, it’s vital to ask the users if the PC runs well with a specific AV software. So don’t just believe in AV tests, reviews and people’s opinions, makes your own decision.

If you have any idea about my problem on Avast, also give a comment! :)

F

ForgottenSeer 67480

Some Antiviruses are really bad optimized for performance and fast speed of boot time System Windows. From Paid i recommend Emsisoft or Norton or maybe ESET from most the best performanceable paid antiviruses. From the free antiviruses i recommend test FortiClient or maybe SecureAPlus with Zemana. I using actually FortiClient and no problems with boot time. And i object to install and use Panda antivirus, cuz this AV only can after some days broke your PC by serious lags and by eating too much Memory RAM with high using your CPU Processor. I haved this on each new PC, i don't trust Panda products and that company anymore.

Upvote 0

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
I would spend some time and try some trial-versions. every system has another performance. and it's a great difference with hdd and ssd.
especially an older hdd can be a big handbreake in a system. How often do you defrag the space?
And pls check your autostart....a bloated autostart makes a slow boot too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Bitdefender is the ultimate sinner. 45 sec boot time on an SSD! Without BitDefender, only 8 sec. What is it doing?
The other big sinner is Kaspersky but this only happens if you run conflicting security software. It might lock you out of Windows completely. Don't don't don't use KAV Free AND Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware together. I learned the hard way.

Upvote 0

Feliks Zemdegs

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 3, 2018
Have you tried MSE(aka windows defender in windows 10)? Does it also give the same problem?
Yes, I don't include on my first post. Before re-installing a fresh Windows 7 that I'm using right now, I used MSE and the same thing happened, even worse than Avast.

Some Antiviruses are really bad optimized for performance and fast speed of boot time System Windows. From Paid i recommend Emsisoft or Norton or maybe ESET from most the best performanceable paid antiviruses. From the free antiviruses i recommend test FortiClient or maybe SecureAPlus with Zemana. I using actually FortiClient and no problems with boot time. And i object to install and use Panda antivirus, cuz this AV only can after some days broke your PC by serious lags and by eating too much Memory RAM with high using your CPU Processor. I haved this on each new PC, i don't trust Panda products and that company anymore.
I had used Avast IS in the past. I'm a careful user with basic and intermediate tasks, so currently I'm stick with free version, especially when I'm not sure what is the best for my PC. I also use Malwarebytes free. At this time, Panda seems pretty good for me. Look at the results of AV Comparatives and AV-test, you can see they are not the same at all, so just experiment yourself to find the best.

I would spend some time and try some trial-versions. every system has another performance. and it's a great difference with hdd and ssd.
especially an older hdd can be a big handbreake in a system. How often do you defrag the space?
And pls check your autostart....a bloated autostart makes a slow boot too.

Once a month or two months, I put most of my data on D partition so C partition is mostly changed by Windows updates and temp files, so the defrag rate is often less than 10%. Also I run disk clean up every 2 months.
Here is my list of start-up programs.
Code:
Yes    HKCU:Run    ShowBatteryBar        "C:\Program Files\BatteryBar\ShowBatteryBar.exe" show
Yes    HKLM:Run    AvastUI.exe    AVAST Software    "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvLaunch.exe" /gui
Yes    HKLM:Run    IAStorIcon    Intel Corporation    "C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorIconLaunch.exe" "C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorIcon.exe" 60
Yes    HKLM:Run    Persistence    Intel Corporation    "C:\Windows\system32\igfxpers.exe"
Yes    HKLM:Run    USB3MON    Intel Corporation    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver\Application\iusb3mon.exe"

I guess this list isn't long enough to make my system too slow.

Upvote 0

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Since AVG has bought Avast and the both AVs have merged, they are only getting worse, in terms of reliability and performance. They should have stayed separate.
If you have any idea about my problem on Avast, also give a comment! :)
Before I have even opened your thread I knew, that you are talking about Avast.
Try to disable Hardware virtualization, it should lower the number of BSODs.
There is also an option to disable loading Avast services before Windows.

Upvote 0

Electr0n

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Feb 19, 2018
Bitdefender is the ultimate sinner. 45 sec boot time on an SSD! Without BitDefender, only 8 sec. What is it doing?
The other big sinner is Kaspersky but this only happens if you run conflicting security software. It might lock you out of Windows completely. Don't don't don't use KAV Free AND Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware together. I learned the hard way.
Bitdefender and Kaspersky both have a reputation for great malware signatures. I have always seen Kaspersky to be on the heavy side. Don't have any experience with bitdefender, but have heard that bitdefender also affects performance and stability. IMO EAM and Eset nod 32 are the most stable AV in the market, if free then avast and windows defender. If you combine windows defender with voodooshield, nvt OSarmor and appcheck anti-ransomware then you get a really light yet strong setup and this setup is very very easy to use, even for not tech-savvy people.

Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Well aforementioned there's no antivirus that behaves the exact same in two systems. That being said it seems you found your perfect antivirus so far. I'm not a great Panda fan but if it works for you then it's set. Add some browser extensions to be protected like HTTPS Everywhere, NoScript, uBlock. Pair up with Voodooshield and you're good to go. :)

Upvote 0

Feliks Zemdegs

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 3, 2018
Before I have even opened your thread I knew, that you are talking about Avast.
Try to disable Hardware virtualization, it should lower the number of BSODs.
There is also an option to disable loading Avast services before Windows.
I tried that option and no difference, but I'm not sure about hardware virtualiztion. Actually, my black screen is delayed screen on boot, not of Deaths! Btw virtualization is a thing to try.

Always disable hibernation and hybrid shutdown on Windows 10. Use powercfg -h off and see if it makes any difference.
My problem is on Windows 7. I still think hybrid shutdown on Windows 10 is a helpful feature and it shouldn't be always disabled.

I don't really trust optimization software. One that I use is just CCleaner to clean up, remove unnecessary registry, control start-up programs, remove system restore.
I use MyDefrag (a kind of free out-of-date software, but it's very good Benchmark: Should I defragment my system? Which defragmenter is best? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community). I had used speed-up software in the past and see no clear difference.

Reactions: brambedkar59
Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I tried that option and no difference, but I'm not sure about hardware virtualiztion. Actually, my black screen is delayed screen on boot, not of Deaths! Btw virtualization is a thing to try.

My problem is on Windows 7. I still think hybrid shutdown on Windows 10 is a helpful feature and it shouldn't be always disabled.

I don't really trust optimization software. One that I use is just CCleaner to clean up, remove unnecessary registry, control start-up programs, remove system restore.
I use MyDefrag (a kind of free out-of-date software, but it's very good Benchmark: Should I defragment my system? Which defragmenter is best? - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community). I had used speed-up software in the past and see no clear difference.
Hybrid shutdown makes the restart very slow and I don't like it!
Give Bleachbit, Dism++ a try. Also use crystaldisk info to see if SMART values are Okay.

Upvote 0

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I have a new sinner in this category: Eset. It boots to a black screen. I tried to repair the partitions and everything. Still black screen. Only hard reboot fixes it. AVs need to stop fighting the drivers during boot. I have a similar issue with Kaspersky where it boots to a blue screen saying issue with Memory Management. It is now 2019, AVs should be compatible with Windows Core Isolation Memory Integrity without issues! lol

Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I have a new sinner in this category: Eset. It boots to a black screen. I tried to repair the partitions and everything. Still black screen. Only hard reboot fixes it. AVs need to stop fighting the drivers during boot. I have a similar issue with Kaspersky where it boots to a blue screen saying issue with Memory Management. It is now 2019, AVs should be compatible with Windows Core Isolation Memory Integrity without issues! lol
Never use Core isolation mode. Usually 3rd party include similar containment paired with DEP along with WD's EMET module.
Core isolation and that VM Hyper V thingy is buggy on v1709 after latest updates. Stick with v1809.529/653 for best performance and stability.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.