App Review Avast 2020 VS Ransomware

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

The Ordynary

Level 3
Apr 26, 2020
But they don't have the Hardened Mode that can do others.
Hardened Mode it is not unbeatable, avast sponsors download sites, and sells your data.

BD Free is meh, BTW KSC Free is a strong fully-featured AV that you can customize according to your needs.
bitdefender has excellent signatures, often at the top of av test, and av comparatives, it is an offense to buy it from avast.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
bitdefender has excellent signatures, often at the top of av test, and av comparatives
That applies only to their paid suite, the free AV is underperformant, and you can't even do a manual update to check if all components are properly installed, instead you need to use your computer for at least 2 days to ensure that. Kaspersky and Avast offer the same core protection level to their free tier users.

PD: I have a multi-device KIS license through my ISP but I prefer to use Avast

Hardened Mode it is not unbeatable
Hardened Mode only covers .exe files,

The Ordynary

Level 3
Apr 26, 2020
That applies only to their paid suite, the free AV is underperformant, and you can't even do a manual update to check if all components are properly installed, instead you need to use your computer for at least 2 days to ensure that. Kaspersky and Avast offer the same core protection level to their free tier users.

bitdefender free uses the same behavior module as the paid version, and the same detection mechanism, the paid version has only additional features, the main protection is the same.

Hardened Mode only covers .exe files,
and still fails

same level of protection? kkkk, kaspersky in addition to detecting better pups, has much better signatures, and a more accurate behavior module, Avast has security flaws, sells your data, and security is low.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015

The Ordynary

Level 3
Apr 26, 2020
HM is not your usual anti-exe that blocks everything unless you explicitly allow it, it works on a whitelist/blacklist approach that gathers data from the cloud to check an exe reputation, prevalency and creation time.

The only AV that blocks all the PUPs is ESET followed by Emsisoft

Who doesn't likes money? 🤑

and even then it can't be efficient, pups can't block almost anything, kkk, making money selling data is not worthy of an antivirus.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I wonder how this test can be seriously taken as a base for discussion about the effectiveness of AV anti-ransomware detection???? If one would perform 2 such tests for the same AV on different pule of samples, the result could be 100% and 80%.
So, 80% can be as good as 100%.

If Avast vendor would think such tests as meaningful, then the paid version would not have dedicated anti-ransomware protection.
It is always nice when the AV we like can get a good result. But except for some pedagogical value about how Avast works, such a single test cannot say anything interesting about the effectiveness of the tested product.(y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.