Avast acquires antivirus maker AVG

Avast acquires antivirus maker AVG - Is this good for Avast!?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
The chances of failure that AVG may disappear is very minimal so far, because it brought already the trademark name and represented technology/equipment.

So of course Avast will still focus on their own product meanwhile AVG may lead for some enhancement.

But in such test, the circulation may remain same. Avast is better than AVG based on claimed independent test.

Which of course your goal is to increase the shares and you have already gained control on the possible changes on competition.
Yes you are right, in terms of detection and performance, Avast is better. And of course acquiring AVG, increases investments and helps to face competition with more resources available.

Reactions: DardiM

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Any chance the AVG product will continue under the Avast banner rather than being cannibalized like PC Tools and the one that was acquired by Webroot?

Reactions: Solarlynx
F

ForgottenSeer 19494

Was AVG even a strong competitor against Avast?
Of course it was, these are one of the most popular antiviruses in the world. They have a very big userbase. And AVG is not a bad antivirus. Lately it seems to come out better than Avast in some cases and tests.

It should improe Avast features but not so much avg is poor....

When Emsisoft buy kaspersky or ESET engines that would be sensation :)

Bigger chance for ESET or Kaspersky to buy Emsisoft than the other way around

Reactions: Solarlynx

ravi prakash saini

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 22, 2015
I think in this forum we should discuss if it is good for us or not ,less competition may be good for companies but not for consumers.i remember those old days when only yellow color anti virus was available in my country and we had no option other than use it or leave it and remain without antivirus,and we would choose second option

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
I think in this forum we should discuss if it is good for us or not ,less competition may be good for companies but not for consumers.i remember those old days when only yellow color anti virus was available in my country and we had no option other than use it or leave it and remain without antivirus,and we would choose second option

I think now we have pretty large number AV companies. So we won't suffer at all in this respect.

Last edited:

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
Btw I've just voted "Yes". Reading various materials in this respect I came to conclusion that Avast seems to benefit enormously from this acquisition.

Reactions: Logethica

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Why run Avast or AVG, when you can simply download something like Deepfreeze (I know of a home product coming out soon that's actually better, i'm just giving an example) that protects from Ransomware also? Why take the risk? AVG and Avira aren't going to instantly keep up to the date with the newest technology, that's why Intel is regretting their decision with McAfee, they just simply aren't effective tools for today's society.

Most users can run Avast or AVG without having to worry about advanced threats. By the time they encounter something bad it would be already detected.

How to easily avoid PC infections - MalwareTips Blog

How to setup Avast Internet Security 2016 for Maximum Protection (Guide) (Works with Avast Free too)

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I am very curious to see the new version of the antivirus.
Is it going to implement features from AVG? Who knows.
Unfortunately we will have to wait for some time to see what they have decided to do.

Last edited:

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
I am very curious to see the new version of the antivirus.
Is it going to implement features from AVG? Who knows.
Unfortunately we will have to wait for some time what they have decided to do.

It's a really interesting question to know what they will produce finally. Maybe avast will get some special features from AVG or maybe will stay untouched. Soon or later we will know

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Why run Avast or AVG, when you can simply download something like Deepfreeze (I know of a home product coming out soon that's actually better, i'm just giving an example) that protects from Ransomware also? Why take the risk? AVG and Avira aren't going to instantly keep up to the date with the newest technology, that's why Intel is regretting their decision with McAfee, they just simply aren't effective tools for today's society.
Deep Freeze and other containment security software cannot tell the difference between a Safe or Dangerous file. Layered security is better than no security at all, so using an Antivirus with some sandboxing would be better for the majority of average computer users. Not forgetting backup software.

F

ForgottenSeer 19494

It's a really interesting question to know what they will produce finally. Maybe avast will get some special features from AVG or maybe will stay untouched. Soon or later we will know
For 1.3 billion they should have access to each letter of the code and internal specifications of AVG. Let's hope they will be wise and integrate some features from AVG like ELAM, Identity Protection behavior blocker and Zen are just some of the great ones.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I think it will lead to nothing. I don't see any real competitive advantage that AVG can offer to Avast - except for perhaps a few new features.
You may find this interesting.
Security CEO Says Pivoting From Antivirus Will Be 'Far Easier' After Billion-Dollar Acquisition

"What will happen to the separate brands?

It will be one company, two brands. The geographic overlap between the two companies’ is not that significant. Avast is strong in South America. We’re strong in North America. Europe is fairly well split up. Together, there’s going to be a wider blanket of coverage in some very important markets. The idea is to recognize the strong brand in each market and just let the two live side-by-side.

So the plan is to continue pushing AVG where it’s strong and Avast where it’s strong?

That is correct.

How do the two companies plan to remain competitive?

A couple of things have happened in the security world. The definition of security has expanded. [...] The strategy is to provide a much broader portfolio of security products under a simple UI (user interface). I believe that vision will be carried through into the joint entity so that AV itself is only one feature, it’s no longer the product."​

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.