Avast acquires Piriform (CCleaner)

Avast acquires Piriform (CCleaner) - Is this good news?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
they don't care about what we think and what is our opinions about this:D... they want more money:p
I don't use CCleaner and I don't like it... it doesn't matter for me :)
but I guess Avast should first fix those bugs in Avast products and after that... buy CCleaner.
seems buying more companies and making more money is much important for Avast than fixing old bugs...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Axelrod Sven

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 11, 2016
First the Merger with AVG and now CCleaner. I really think that they could do better improving their Technology .. not criticizing them so don't jump me, anything that can be improved, should be improved. Or do they have some deeper agenda to this?

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Nah guys, CCleaner as an individual software won't cease to exist, most probably. They acquired, in my opinion, the software to introduce it's technology to their products, so people can enjoy them on their antivirus software. But pretty sure it will still remain as a separate software for those who intend to use it. They won't kill it, it's too useful.

EDIT: inb4 CCleaner Free suggests installing Avast Antivirus as optional software.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Nah guys, CCleaner as an individual software won't cease to exist, most probably. They acquired, in my opinion, the software to introduce it's technology to their products, so people can enjoy them on their antivirus software. But pretty sure it will still remain as a separate software for those who intend to use it. They won't kill it, it's too useful.

EDIT: inb4 CCleaner Free suggests installing Avast Antivirus as optional software.
Haha! I just hope they don't put "Buy Avast" popups in CCleaner. Also hope they won't kill the slim versiono_O

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
I did not see that coming

no one saw that coming mate.

Avast will likely to incorporate CCleaner into its Premier product

for sure.

thankfully Privazer exist so this doesn't really affect me too much

nor to me as i too prefer privazer.

CCleaner bundled with Avast/AVG free in a few months, mark my word

undoubtedly.

i think this will be the end of Ccleaner as we know it

i stopped using ccleaner ever since piriform started promoting google.

Avast is going to be a king of the world

definitely not the world i live in.

they don't care about what we think and what is our opinions about this

stop using the product & they will start caring eventually.

Also hope they won't kill the slim version

knowing avast they will probably do just that & make ccleaner even more fatter.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
They paid AVG take over of 1.4 billion out of there own cash reserves, so @Andytay70 Avast must be loaded with cash. Conversion rates from Avast Free to Avast paid must be dropping, so Avast needs more users trying out Avast Free to keep growing. Expect the prediction of again AnyTay70 to be a fact of life soon (CCleanner promoting Avast).

By the way I voted good news, because Avast can reallocate their programmers developing CCleaner lookalike/rip-off to writing code for Avast security. which will benefit Avast antivirus innovation ultimately.

Last edited:

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
@ispx and other Privazer users, I have very little experience with Privazer, is there an option to NOT wipe out empty space while cleaning? Its rare but I've accidently deleted important files in the past while cleaning. Don't want them wiped out completely.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
@ispx One person acting differently from the rest is called a fool or an eccentric at the best. When someone joins that person it is the start of a movement and the first person crossing the bridge is considered a visionary (the honour is entirely yours ;)) May I join your movement? Let's crusade against ccleaner rip-offs and ccleaner advertsing platforms. Count me in .

Who wants to join our movement?. It is time MalwareTips members make a stand. Because it always starts with one person. :)

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Biggest shocker of the day for me.

Many years ago, before Ccleaner was well known I attempted to negotiate to buy the product. We made it as far as the attorneys working on the paperwork but the stumbling block was, he always wanted it to be free. I couldn't put that into a sale agreement so the deal fell through. In hindsight it would have been nice to buy it and continue normal development then sell it for millions to Avast today.. <sigh> Anyway...

So what happens to Ccleaner Cloud? Avast buying anything is probably bad news IMO. I won't touch their stuff or anything associated. Glad I cancelled my Ccleaner Cloud recurring charge. Glary Utilities is better these days anyway and I have a few lifetime licenses for Pro sitting around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.