Avast acquires Piriform (CCleaner)

Avast acquires Piriform (CCleaner) - Is this good news?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

It seems that AV companies are acquiring a lot of software utilities these days.
I just hope its all for the better!

It's not.. I miss the old days.. NOD32, RAV, F-Prot, etc. AV's should stick to being AV's. Someday an AV company will buy a clue and go back to being an AV company and drop this bloated suite nonsense. I look forward to those days.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Since Avast had acquired AVG and made sure to keep the AVG standalone, the same is going to happen to CCleaner too. I'd like to ask fellow MT users to stop feeling like it's the end of the world... :D

CCleaner will continue to be developed because Avast has more cash reserves to pay for the programmers.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I hope Avast doesn't ship as adware in Piriform CCleaner because that would make it bigger and I will stick to current version or replace it with BleachBit.

I think I remember reading a couple years ago Avast/AVG owned or were connected in some way to a huge data mining firm. I forgot the name of it, maybe someone else remembers? I know Avira's love affair with Mixpanel turned me off immediately.

Bleachbit, Glary, Kerish Doctor, all sufficient if not better than Ccleaner IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I think I remember reading a couple years ago Avast/AVG owned or were connected in some way to a huge data mining firm. I forgot the name of it, maybe someone else remembers? I know Avira's love affair with Mixpanel turned me off immediately.

Bleachbit, Glary, Kerish Doctor, all sufficient if not better than Ccleaner IMO.
TuneUP utility.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
It's a good move imo. Avast has the cloud database to make CCleaner more powerful and the user base to make it work. Avast also bought Recuva and other titles if they bought the company. That's something else to think about. Who knows? Maybe they had some other unreleased code Avast likes too.

90%+ sure CCleaner free will exist almost the same as now but with a more powerful cloud element of the pay program that can detect malware too and upload questionable files. o/c the most powerful version of CCleaner will surely be for sale in Avast a-v. Makes sense. Kind of doubt avast will use the CCleaner name in the a-v tho...

As for the discussion of money...hey Piriform devs got paid here and probably large $$$. They kept their free titles out there for what 10+ years? imo, they deserve them after all the good their free programs have done. :)

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
Blah! $$$$$$$ & €€€€€€ etc.... More money more power & dominion! That's the way world stand.

I personally like an a old-school guy like the days when Antivirus was a ANTIVIRUS and nothing less nothing more, do it simple, that's the way you do it better. Focus you PRIMARY function and make it more effective etc...

...But, when you has nothing better to do and has money more you can spend...maybe then this is the way , we bought all the damn utilities and put them in our solution and then you PRIMARY function doesn't get that much attention because you have to tweak all the freaking utilities on toaster to toothbrush! DAMMIT!

Oh well... whatever....I do it my OWN way :p

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I did not see that coming.
Me either and for some reason I don't like this.
I do have a key for Privacy Eraser as well as Ccleaner, I may dump Ccleaner in the trash.
To be fair I will wait and see just what exactly changes before I act on this unsettling news.
I have used Ccleaner for years so any changes will be evident to me pretty quickly.
Wow, wth Piriform ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.