Avast introduces Avast One

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Thread author
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019

Avast introduces Avast One​

Our new all-in-one service helps digital citizens protect their privacy, speed up their devices, and stay safe from cyberthreats.

2020 changed the world. Globally and locally, our lives were turned upside down and locked down. In response, the internet transformed into a critical lifeline to services and our loved ones. It was very clear: The internet was no longer optional. But not only was it not optional, it was not the safest place.

Seeing that the world was shifting rapidly from the days when we were only worried about our computers getting viruses, people were increasingly telling us they wanted to protect their privacy, money, and their identities – in addition to their devices. People wanted all the protection and performance they needed, but they didn’t want to have to be an expert to understand how to get it. They also told us they had enough of the tracking, the targeting, and the snooping. And all of this really resonated with us here at Avast.

We believe that everyone has a foundational right to security and privacy. This has been a part of our story since we began offering our esteemed antivirus for free over 20 years ago. But we could see that more was needed. Antivirus is important, but it’s no longer enough for total protection.

That is why, today, we are announcing the availability of Avast One. Avast One provides security, privacy and identity protection, performance, and more through one easy-to-use platform. With Avast One, we are....................
Read the full blog post here
Avast One webpage:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Thread author
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
for me sounds like norton's package vpn, anti virus, clean and speed........
No, everything is still from the Avast. Avast One has been in their plans long before the Norton acquisition, so I don't think Norton had any influence on this one.
But it's more bloated than the current Avast with no options to remove them unlike the previous Avast. I'll share some screenshots later.

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
No, everything is still from the Avast. Avast One has been in their plans long before the Norton acquisition, so I don't think Norton had any influence on this one.
But it's more bloated than the current Avast with no options to remove them unlike the previous Avast. I'll share some screenshots later.
Fortunately, Avast Free and Premium are still available.:)

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Thread author
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I'm wondering if Avast One and Avast Premium are identical or not ?
Looks identical to me.
7.png

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Thread author
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
What is the difference between Avast One and Avast Free Antivirus?

The difference between Avast One and Avast Free Antivirus is that Avast One is a truly holistic security, privacy, and optimization solution. It contains all the security benefits offered in Avast Free Antivirus, such as protection against ransomware and other kinds of malware, unsafe websites, and phishing attacks.

In addition, Avast One includes a suite of privacy and performance features, such as a powerful VPN, personal data-security protections, a host of optimization tools, and other advanced features to give you total digital privacy and security and unparalleled performance.
Source (FAQ): Avast One | Stay Safe Online with Protection For Your Life Today

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Thread author
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Okay, so I checked out Avast One Essential which is equivalent to Avast Free.
1.png2.png
It has a brand-new UI which is more streamlined. Features and options are easier to find. But now it comes with a white & yellowish design with some blue & green here and there. I'm someone who prefers darker UI, so I'm not a fan of the color.
5.png8.png9.png10.png
Avast One also includes the free Firewall.
22.png23.png
Functionality and customization wise, it has fewer options now. There are no more protection sensitivity options. In the previous Avast versions, you could lower or higher the sensitivity of the real time protection and scans. But I can't find them anymore. Also, no way to tweak scan settings either.
Looks like the hidden but useful geek:area is also not present in Avast One.
11.png12.png
At least, you can still set the real time protection/FileShield to ask mode which also sets the WebShield in ask mode. Previously you could furhter tweak these behavior among other things in the geek:area but as I said it doesn't seem to exist now.
19.png20.png21.png
Unremovable bloatware includes VPN, browser cleanup, PC Speedup, Software Updater. 5 GB weekly limit on the free VPN.
13.png14.png15.png16.png
Disk cleaner and Driver Updater lets you see the detected items but using them is only available in the premium version.
17.png18.png
In the current Avast versions, it's possible to not install features that you don't need even you can remove unwanted features after installation which was/is an excellent feature but Avast One provides no such option neither while installing nor after.
So now these bloatware services are always running in the background wasting resources.
6(2).png
So overall a negative impression for me. Less customization, more bloat. The UI is nice, but it needs a dark mode for those who prefer it.
Anyone who likes and using the current Avast should probably stick to that. Hopefully Avast will make some positive changes in the future.

Last edited:

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
Okay, so I checked out Avast One Essential which is equivalent to Avast Free.
View attachment 260603View attachment 260604
It has a brand-new UI which is more streamlined. Features and options are easier to find. But now it comes with a white & yellowish design with some blue & green here and there. I'm someone who prefers darker UI, so I'm not a fan of the color.
View attachment 260605View attachment 260606View attachment 260607View attachment 260608
Avast One also includes the free Firewall.
View attachment 260622View attachment 260623
Functionality and customization wise, it has fewer options now. There are no more protection sensitivity options. In the previous Avast versions, you could lower or higher the sensitivity of the real time protection and scans. But I can't find them anymore. Also, no way to tweak scan settings either.
Looks like the hidden but useful geek:area is also not present in Avast One.
View attachment 260609View attachment 260610
At least, you can still set the real time protection/FileShield to ask mode which also sets the WebShield in ask mode. Previously you could furhter tweak these behavior among other things in the geek:area but as I said it doesn't seem to exist now.
View attachment 260621View attachment 260618View attachment 260619
Unremovable bloatware includes VPN, browser cleanup, PC Speedup, Software Updater. 5 GB weekly limit on the free VPN.
View attachment 260611View attachment 260612View attachment 260613View attachment 260614
Disk cleaner and Driver Updater lets you see the detected items but using them is only available in the premium version.
View attachment 260615View attachment 260616
In the current Avast versions, it's possible to not install features that you don't need even you can remove unwanted features after installation which was/is an excellent feature but Avast One's provides no such option neither while installing nor after.
So now these bloatware services are always running in the background wasting resources.
View attachment 260624
So overall a negative impression for me. Less customization, more bloat. The UI is nice, but it needs a dark mode for those who prefer it.
Anyone who likes and using current Avast should probably stick to that. Hopefully Avast will make some positive changes in the future.
UI-wise, it is quite neat & intuitive! Ideal for a general home user.

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
thats what do I mean bolatware unremovble all stuff into one app

1631821450950.png1631821465833.png

Last edited by a moderator:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Thread author
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
thats what do I mean bolatware unremovble all stuff into one app
View attachment 260625
View attachment 260626
I see. In this way they are similar indeed. But Norton at least don't automatically install stuff like VPN and password manager, if I remember correctly. Also, they don't keep separate processes running in the background wasting resources like Avast One is doing with their auto installed VPN, cleanup, driver updater services. This behavior is more similar to Avira Pro I think which ironically is also owned by Norton.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
This is too bad. One of the things I liked a lot about Avast was the ability to only install the components I wanted and leave out the fluff and bloatware. I do not need a different firewall and I have no need or use for a VPN even if it is free. The fact that the bloatware is on by default and can not be turned off or left out of the configuration is enough for me to part ways with Avast. I don't like the "all or nothing" attitude. Maybe I could get used to the fluff running in the background if it did not slow my computer down. I also wonder how the nag/upsell/scary notifications are in this new version. I really liked free Avast but I may have to switch over to KSC Free. This is something I need to really think about.

C.H.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Thread author
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
This is too bad. One of the things I liked a lot about Avast was the ability to only install the components I wanted and leave out the fluff and bloatware. I do not need a different firewall and I have no need or use for a VPN even if it is free. The fact that the bloatware is on by default and can not be turned off or left out of the configuration is enough for me to part ways with Avast. I don't like the "all or nothing" attitude. Maybe I could get used to the fluff running in the background if it did not slow my computer down. I also wonder how the nag/upsell/scary notifications are in this new version. I really liked free Avast but I may have to switch over to KSC Free. This is something I need to really think about.

C.H.
The old Avast is still there. They have not replaced that with Avast One. So you can still keep on using that. And for Avast One, it's possible that later they'll give the user the ability to remove the unwanted component. Not just you, many users are going to be unhappy about it.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
sooo this was the "big thing" that was coming? a new paid product with even more...non security related features? I was actually kind of looking forward to seeing what they could have cooked up with Norton together, and if this was it it's honestly a bit of a let down. Just my opinion.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
More insomnia again tonight. My curiosity got the better of me and I removed Avast Free and installed the new Avast Essential. I wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt before condemning it completely. I don't like it. I don't like the GUI, it looks like it was drawn by an amateur cartoonist and does not even look like a real security program. That point is not important though. The only component you can turn off now is the firewall, which I do not need. The kicker for me though is when I turn off the firewall Avast gives me unnecessary warnings that my computer is unprotected. It also lights up a warning X symbol down on the notification area.

1631863710005.png

There is no way to turn this off. The only way to get rid of the warning is to turn the firewall back on again. This new Avast also uses more ram, nearly 200 mb. I know that is not important but it is more than the old Avast used. I don't like this new Avast. At all. It seems real hokey, like it was dumbed way down and written for children. I also don't like being forced to use components I don't want or need. I am removing the new Avast and going back to WD for now until I figure out which AV I want to use permanently. Most likely that will be Kasperksy Free.

i apologize if this post seems bitter or disparaging. I mean no offense to Avast or people who are using the new version. This is just my opinion. I had no problems at all with the old Avast Free. Not so with the new.

C.H.

vuksha_xc60

Level 1
Jun 22, 2020
More insomnia again tonight. My curiosity got the better of me and I removed Avast Free and installed the new Avast Essential. I wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt before condemning it completely. I don't like it. I don't like the GUI, it looks like it was drawn by an amateur cartoonist and does not even look like a real security program. That point is not important though. The only component you can turn off now is the firewall, which I do not need. The kicker for me though is when I turn off the firewall Avast gives me unnecessary warnings that my computer is unprotected. It also lights up a warning X symbol down on the notification area.

View attachment 260636

There is no way to turn this off. The only way to get rid of the warning is to turn the firewall back on again. This new Avast also uses more ram, nearly 200 mb. I know that is not important but it is more than the old Avast used. I don't like this new Avast. At all. It seems real hokey, like it was dumbed way down and written for children. I also don't like being forced to use components I don't want or need. I am removing the new Avast and going back to WD for now until I figure out which AV I want to use permanently. Most likely that will be Kasperksy Free.

i apologize if this post seems bitter or disparaging. I mean no offense to Avast or people who are using the new version. This is just my opinion. I had no problems at all with the old Avast Free. Not so with the new.

C.H.
The RAM usage is important when you use the PC for work and you must have a lot of programs opened.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.