Avast introduces Avast One

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Im ready to jump in , if they will add remove trial option or do i just skip 30 days throught register editing

firewall1.png

Last edited by a moderator:

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Okay, so I checked out Avast One Essential which is equivalent to Avast Free.
View attachment 260603View attachment 260604
It has a brand-new UI which is more streamlined. Features and options are easier to find. But now it comes with a white & yellowish design with some blue & green here and there. I'm someone who prefers darker UI, so I'm not a fan of the color.
View attachment 260605View attachment 260606View attachment 260607View attachment 260608
Avast One also includes the free Firewall.
:sick:

Reminds me of the Avira bloated GUI

1631878943005.png

Big no no for me. I hope all Norton's products do not migrate to this business model. As far as I remember, Norton is now propietary of Norton Antivirus, AVG, Avast, Avira and BullGuard, it'd be a shame to lose them all.
Fortunately, Avast Free and Premium are still available.:)
Avast free site redirects download to...

1631879510046.png

Last edited:

robboman

Level 2
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
I can see what Avast was trying to achieve with this new release, and honestly for 99% of the mainstream users it will be a improvement compared to the old product. The UI is much more steam-lined, easier to navigate, settings are kept to only the essential options. Bundled with features like a VPN, disk cleaner and identity protection what many mainstream users of avast will enjoy.

Of course these bundled features will be considered bloatware by more hardcore users, no option to deselect features during install, and the removal of more fine tuned options in the settings will all be considered downgrades by these users. It's understandable though that avast is aiming for the more mainstream users, that is 99% of their user base.

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
These AVs are getting desperate to find relevancy now. macOS monterey is hardened and a new architecture renders a lot of malware moot. Windows 11 is being aggressively hardened too and Windows Defender is one of the best AVs now making 3rd party AVs unnecessary for most. So they have to adapt and change their business model. Anything to spread fearmongering. Kaspersky started this first with their Security Cloud. Then you had F-Secure, Norton, Avira and now Avast.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I can see what Avast was trying to achieve with this new release, and honestly for 99% of the mainstream users it will be a improvement compared to the old product. The UI is much more steam-lined, easier to navigate, settings are kept to only the essential options. Bundled with features like a VPN, disk cleaner and identity protection what many mainstream users of avast will enjoy.

Of course these bundled features will be considered bloatware by more hardcore users, no option to deselect features during install, and the removal of more fine tuned options in the settings will all be considered downgrades by these users. It's understandable though that avast is aiming for the more mainstream users, that is 99% of their user base.
These AVs are getting desperate to find relevancy now. macOS monterey is hardened and a new architecture renders a lot of malware moot. Windows 11 is being aggressively hardened too and Windows Defender is one of the best AVs now making 3rd party AVs unnecessary for most. So they have to adapt and change their business model. Anything to spread fearmongering. Kaspersky started this first with their Security Cloud. Then you had F-Secure, Norton, Avira and now Avast.
I believe both of these are correct, without contradiction.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Not impressed with the pics of the new UI, but that's secondary to me. How good is the firewall? Is the AV still top notch? I'm tempted to give it a try but will wait to read or see some tests on all of the parts to find out if it does the job.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Not impressed with the pics of the new UI, but that's secondary to me. How good is the firewall? Is the AV still top notch? I'm tempted to give it a try but will wait to read or see some tests on all of the parts to find out if it does the job.

The free version allows you to block/unblock apps from accesing the internet, the so called advanced options are only available for premium users.

1631906929701.png

As expected it allows you to switch between public and private network profile.

1631906966057.png

Running CPIL shows no warnings from Avast.

1631907099899.png

Comodo Leaktests 200/340.

1631907287241.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I switched my work laptop over to KSC Free today. I do need a good AV for work. I did not install the VPN and will not use/do not need the password manager. Other than that I have KSC Free all at default settings and the laptop was none the worse for wear for it. The computer actually ran a little faster and felt like it was more efficient with KSC Free. I ran a couple of tests with Eicar virus and AMTSO phishing tests and Kaspersky picked them both up right away. That is all the testing I know how to do and is also all I need to know the AV works like it should. I will probably put KSC Free on my personal laptop tomorrow, then "set and forget" both after that. No more Avast for me unless they really re-think their new version and make it more like the old one.

C.H.

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
Tried Avast One over the weekend.. computer seemed to have more lags than with Avast Free which may be all the bloatware services running in the background. I've read at least one 'expert' review however that suggested that Avast One was faster than Avast Free so perhaps my experience isn't typical. Reinstalled free for now. Will probably switch to Defender when Avast Free eventually discontinued unless Avast One updates allow you to remove unwanted components. I didn't notice CyberCapture in operation at all, has this been removed along with the hardened mode?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.