Serious Discussion AVAST is letting this malware run even with Hard Mode enabled.

Pilot777

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 25, 2022
AVAST is letting this malware (VirusTotal) run freely despite Hardened Mode being enabled. I find it difficult to believe that this sample is on the Avast safe software list. Other samples do get blocked by Hardened Mode just fine.
154458.jpg

153815.jpg

153649.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
AVAST is letting this malware (VirusTotal) run freely despite Hardened Mode being enabled. I find it difficult to believe that this sample is on the Avast safe software list. Other samples do get blocked by Hardened Mode just fine.

It is the MHDDoS_Proxy (a tool used in DDoS attacks on Russian targets). The info can be found via Google. I think we should not talk too much about it. :unsure:

Last edited:

Pilot777

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 25, 2022
It is the MHDDoS_Proxy (a tool used in DDoS attacks on Russian targets). The info can be found via Google. I think we should not talk too much about it. :unsure:
Oh, ok. So, AVAST, unlike Bitdefender, Norton, Microsoft, Emsisoft, Symantec, and others, allows it's users to engage in malicious DDoS attacks. And AVAST considers the DDoS attack tool to be safe...

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I remember finding this tool in a malware collection a while back. Probably more than a year ago. At that time only Kaspersky was detecting it. Then I submitted to a few vendors and remember Bitdefender creating a signatures very soon as usual. I think I also sent to Avast. Since even hard mode is not blocking it, it should mean that it is whitelisted by Avast on purpose.
Are they allowing it only because it is/can be used by Ukraine against Russian targets? That would be awful if that's the case. I'm just speculating of course and probably should stop talking anymore about it :unsure:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I remember finding this tool in a malware collection a while back. Probably more than a year ago. At that time only Kaspersky was detecting it. Then I submitted to a few vendors and remember Bitdefender creating a signatures very soon as usual. I think I also sent to Avast. Since even hard mode is not blocking it, it should mean that it is whitelisted by Avast on purpose.
Are they allowing it only because it is/can be used by Ukraine against Russian targets? That would be awful if that's the case. I'm just speculating of course and probably should stop talking anymore about it :unsure:
If that is true i.e. they are whitelisting a confirmed malware then it erodes all some of the confidence in Gen Digital (Avast/AVG/Norton) for me.

There is no such thing as good malware: David Liff

Edit: replaced "all" with "some of"

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.