Battle Avast Premier or Eset Internet Security?

Compare list
eset internet security 12.0.31.0
avast premier 19.2.2364
In-depth Comparison

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Hum I'm not 100% sure :unsure: :unsure: but I remember that Kaspersky stopped wannacry attack via "Network Attack Blocker" module...
You're probably right about Kaspersky beause Eset did the same too.

"Fortunately, ESET clients were already protected by ESET’s network protection module. This had been blocking attempts to exploit the leaked vulnerability at the network level well before this particular malware was even created. On Friday, ESET increased the protection level for this specific threat via the Win32/Filecoder.WannaCryptor.D update to the detection engine (15404, May-12-2017, 13:20 UTC/GMT +02:00). Prior to that, ESET LiveGrid had begun protecting against this particular attack starting around 11:26AM (UTC/GMT +02:00). "

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
My enterprise company uses ESET end point security. This is real proof
Attack was totally successfull.
It has taken eset few weeks, to add the signature based firewall trick to their firewall to block WC at network level what they call eternal expoit blocking communication to various ports!

They call it proactive but I better call it reactive after infective.
One sacrifice for all.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I remember there were a report in a site (can't find it in Google now) where it was showed how different antivirus products managed the attack during 1st hours, and there was a Kaspersky screen-shot showing the attack blocking via NAB....

MRG Effitas did some interesting tests:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
a note to this article:
in the first release, only ESET and Kaspersky were able to block the exploit. Everything else failed => this counts
then, they started adding some updates which other vendors released patches for this exploit, such as avast/avg, hitmanpro,... => this is reactive, doesn't count. They were not be able to block the exploit during the time of testing

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Just one correction from my enD.
None of Av were able to block Wannacry except Bitdefender, Dr Web, F secure.
Kaspersky after roll back is successful, but attack is not intercepTed
Eset and Mcafee failed completely against almost all the variants. Eset is aware of this my friend!!
Actually it's not about wannacry only. What I meant to say is that ESET, Norton, Kaspersky can protect at the network level. ESET FW can intercept if an attacker is trying to use the SMB1 vulnerability and will throw an alert to the user.

I absolutely agree with this test. While Kaspersky network attack blocker is excellent, Norton and ESET always had the best firewalls. I would say that ESET should learn from Norton and make their firewall outbound protection smart like Norton instead of allowing every outbound connection by default.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.