Battle Avast Premier or Eset Internet Security?

Compare list
eset internet security 12.0.31.0
avast premier 19.2.2364
In-depth Comparison

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
I would choose Avast,more effective generally and especially against zero day threats. I like Eset lightness and gui but seems to be working only with signatures, no bb, no trust at all.
I tend to disagree here. ESET has implemented a BB in the latest version and I hope it will continue to improve it. I prefer ESET anyday above Avast. In the right hands ESET(HIPS and Firewall when properly configured) can offer protection which Avast simply cannot. I am sick of Avast and their telemetry. In terms of lightness both are equal and the signatures of ESET are top notch. If you are a regular user you would be hard to get infected when using ESET since a regular home user has extremely slim chances to encounter a true zero day malware.

Nestor

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
I tend to disagree here. ESET has implemented a BB in the latest version and I hope it will continue to improve it. I prefer ESET anyday above Avast. In the right hands ESET(HIPS and Firewall when properly configured) can offer protection which Avast simply cannot. I am sick of Avast and their telemetry. In terms of lightness both are equal and the signatures of ESET are top notch. If you are a regular user you would be hard to get infected when using ESET since a regular home user has extremely slim chances to encounter a true zero day malware.
Agree, but I am waiting to see a test for Eset to have good results, till now I haven't see any, especially against zero day threats with no signatures.I am also a regular user but from a paid av i expect something more to stand in competition.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Pros :
Signatures : Avast slightly has better signatures and response to newer threats is better too ..Eset too is same however since Avast cloud (+AVG) is larger than Eset..response is slightly faster from what I seen.
Next Proactive detection : Avast beats Eset completely ..Cleanup against unknown malware is quite good.
Eset fails to remove any traces that are out of it's signatures. Behaviour based detection of Avast is vastly improved so it's blocking and cleanup + (AVG IDP) ..Eset hips is ok on tweaking but that cannot be replaced with BB .
Antiphishing of Avast is excellent over Eset. After AVG acquisition ..it's phishing capability at par with Trend and Webroot.
Avast is free ..that dominates Eset (Paid) in protection category ..
As far as PUP and Lightness is concerned Eset is the winner ..however pup detection should be enabled manually in both Avast and Avg.
Oh come on, my biggest respect with you mate, but this sounds a little fanatic. It hasn't been born yet a software that I have seen beating ESET in terms of phishing and unwanted software. I think the strongest point ESET has is its web filtering.
I can admit, yes, that it can be pretty weak against new malware if it's not correctly configured (yet can be very effective if you tweak it enough). Regarding adding malware to database, cannot speak about Avast since I don't know, but ESET is always one of the fastest.

Nevertheless I can confirm ESET relies a lot on its signatures, hence why they are so fast at updating their databases. I would love to see an improvement here in the future. A decent behaviour blocker or a defautl deny module is urgently needed.

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
ESET has had neural networks since 1997 and LiveGrid way outperforms Avast's cloud component/live signatures which they added sometime around 2010, I remember, I was using it.
Oh come on, my biggest respect with you mate, but this sounds a little fanatic. It hasn't been born yet a software that I have seen beating ESET in terms of phishing and unwanted software. I think the strongest point ESET has is its web filtering.
Couldn't agree more, ESET license Zvelo plus use their own web filtering and getting anything past it is difficult. Same reason the Gryphon router uses ESET over pure Zvelo.

ικανότητα

Mar 22, 2019
ESET is written in assembly
A majority of ESET for Windows is written in C and C++ .

The UI is highly reliant on HTML, CSS & TIScript.

C:
eamonm.sys
edevmon.sys
ekbdflt.sys
epfw.sys
eelam.sys

C++:
ehdrv.sys
concrt140.dll
eamsi.dll
eCapture.exe

I can keep doing this all day but it proves nothing .

They can still explicitly use Assembly in any of the C or C++ projects with inline for 32-bit or linking the *.obj file/s for 32-bit/64-bit. who cares ?

If the product works well then who cares what language it is written in ?

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Better signatures(usually one of the first to add to their database).
Excellent web filter along with Zvleto(if you enable the Parental Control).
One of the fastest suites in the market with zero impact.
Corporate grade firewall with can be tweaked immensely and it also offers protection against exploits at the network level(Avast cannot). ESET was able to stop the WannaCry before the signatures came out.
HIPS that can be tweaked and customised to offer greater protection.
Does not collect data for data-mining and also does not display adds to buy their other products.
ESET has recently implemented a Behaviour Blocker, although it has a long way to go

The only advantage Avast has over ESET is the Hardened Mode and their Behavioral Blocker is better than ESET.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Better signatures(usually one of the first to add to their database).
Excellent web filter along with Zvleto(if you enable the Parental Control).
One of the fastest suites in the market with zero impact.
Corporate grade firewall with can be tweaked immensely and it also offers protection against exploits at the network level(Avast cannot). ESET was able to stop the WannaCry before the signatures came out.
HIPS that can be tweaked and customised to offer greater protection.
Does not collect data for data-mining and also does not display adds to buy their other products.
ESET has recently implemented a Behaviour Blocker, although it has a long way to go

The only advantage Avast has over ESET is the Hardened Mode and their Behavioral Blocker is better than ESET.
Just one correction from my enD.
None of Av were able to block Wannacry except Bitdefender, Dr Web, F secure.
Kaspersky after roll back is successful, but attack is not intercepTed
Eset and Mcafee failed completely against almost all the variants. Eset is aware of this my friend!!

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Hello, I would go with Avast Premier(it also happens to be my AV and just for paranoia, I have Heimdal Premium & Voodoo-Shield Premium installed);)
Dosn"t The 2 AVs get in each others way ?or do you shut of AV protection with your Heidmal and just use its other components?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.