Battle Avast premium or Norton 360

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

Hello :)

I want to ask you Guys which IS can get better protection? I need a simple and light protection as it is possible. I don't care about privacy etc

Regards
Avast can be configured to be lighter (I will soon publish a thread on that). It also offers better web and virus protection than Norton (far better).
Norton’s benefits are backup and VPN in some editions, though they are both mediocre.
Avast seems like a better choice.

Nautilus

Level 2
Apr 27, 2020
Norton 360 , avast is nothing more than a privacy invading / overbloated piece of junk that uses scaretactics to upsell even more privacy invading bloatware , even on their paying users. Norton also has promotional advertisments , but you can turn these of in the settings. Nortons signatures are good , so is the sonar behaviour blocker , norton's firewall is one of the best in the market and you do not need to tinker a lot around in the settings to have good protection , while avast needs to be tweaked a bit. nortons vpn is not the greatest when it comes to speed , and sometimes connections get lost and there is NO killswitch! another thing about their VPN is that I found out , is that my physicall location gets leaked when I check on ipleak.net. I also wish they would remove their tuning features from the product , beccause their annoying and keep coming back , even when you turn automatic maintainance of in the settings. all in all I would suggest Norton 360 , even with their minor faults it is safer / better than privacy invader Avast!

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
Norton 360 is the only AV program I've every had a virus leading to file loss with. Admittedly that was many years ago (10+) but once bitten, twice shy. Avast (free & premium) on the other hand I've used far more recently, on multiple computers, and never a whiff of a virus on any of them. Of the two, if Avast has fully rectified its data privacy policy, I'd choose Avast over Norton.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't care about privacy etc
Avast is going down the "privacy-first" route, so that's out of the option.

Norton has worked with Government Agencies' malware in the past, so stick to Norton. They may or may not still cooperate, considering they are an American-based company and trusted by the Government, the chances are open to opinions.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

Norton has always been better than Avast, except for web protection, but specifically now I'm not sure about the future of Norton, since their antivirus has not been updated for almost six months, and the antivirus databases are released, it seems, by Broadcom, yes, they bought Avira now but how long the integration of the products will take is not clear. In general, Norton is lighter, its overall level of protection is IMHO higher, it has an excellent firewall and protection against zero-day threats, but ... Avast is better for the next year. :) (If you do not think about Eset)
By no means is Norton bad or ineffective, in a real-word scenario for an average user it will be good, but Norton doesn't have the effective ransomware protection AVG does (please note I am saying effective, not impenetrable). Also, it looks like AVG and Avast have better behavioural blocking than SONAR. Static scan also seems to be a bit better in Avast/AVG so all in all from protection point of view, these two products look like a better choice.

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
By no means is Norton bad or ineffective, in a real-word scenario for an average user it will be good, but Norton doesn't have the effective ransomware protection AVG does (please note I am saying effective, not impenetrable). Also, it looks like AVG and Avast have better behavioural blocking than SONAR. Static scan also seems to be a bit better in Avast/AVG so all in all from protection point of view, these two products look like a better choice.
Even with data protector (it works like safe files) and an automatic backup service?

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

Even with data protector (it works like safe files) and an automatic backup service?
Data protector is discontinued. The automatic backup is a nonsense. It’s just for the show, have you tried restoring files from it? They are not even journaled and you can’t see what you are restoring. They used to hold the domain backup.com, where you could login and view the files online, bit now that’s discontinued as well.

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
Data protector is still here:
Data-protector-Norton.png

Backup on the software (and you can see your files on your My Norton website):

backup-Norton1.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.