Andy Ful

Level 48
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
The test methodology disabled Avast CyberCapture feature, even if it was enabled in Avast. CyberCapture can work against the files downloaded from the Internet. If the file is suspicious then it is uploaded to Avast Cloud and the execution is blocked until the file analysis is finished.
The guy used 7-ZIP to unpack the malware so it lost MOTW, and was not recognized as downloaded from the Internet.
So, this video test cannot be treated as Hardened mode bypass. But, it shows that Avast protection can be weaker for files without MOTW.

stefanos

Level 24
Verified
The test methodology disabled Avast CyberCapture feature, even if it was enabled in Avast. CyberCapture can work against the files downloaded from the Internet. If the file is suspicious then it is uploaded to Avast Cloud and the execution is blocked until the file analysis is finished.
The guy used 7-ZIP to unpack the malware so it lost MOTW, and was not recognized as downloaded from the Internet.
So, this video test cannot be treated as Hardened mode bypass. But, it shows that Avast protection can be weaker for files without MOTW.
Thank you my friend. You justify me in what I say in another thread (y)

notabot

Level 11

RoxasDev

Level 1
The download of the sample by internet will be done in the next videos precisely to see if there is a real change I had already thought about that :oops:

Andy Ful

Level 48
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
The download of the sample by internet will be done in the next videos precisely to see if there is a real change I had already thought about that :oops:
If I correctly recall, Avast Hardened mode worked only for EXE files, but this was a year or two ago. By the way, if you like malware testing, then maybe you could try to participate in Malware Hub tests?

Last edited:

virusesmaximum