Battle Avast vs Avira 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
So I was wondering this myself...I been impressed by both products.
I looked at many tests and I see Avira marking well and as well as AVAST but I seen Avira have a better detection rate but when I see Avast vs Avira I see everyone recommending AVAST over Avira which I don't really get... but I wonder what you guys think.

notorious_rn

Jun 12, 2012
6 years using avira, got no problem with it, i also use it to install with my colleague's computer and got no problem or comments coming from them...

i also tried Avast then my computer hangs and need to reboot...

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
On this case likely Avast would hands down on this poll but don't underestimate from the new implementation of Avira Cloud Feature for feature used as this made boost the protection better and interested by users too.

notorious_rn

Jun 12, 2012
avira for me and i never got a problem, of course with other security products with it...

I had used avast first than avira when i first both my laptop (dell inspirone 6000 model) it never lasted for more than 2 mos. and my pc is behaving differently, i tried it again last mos. with my friends pc it crushes in an instant will just a month or less, for my pc it crushes and need a reboot and uninstall eventually... plan to try it again with their latest version when its out already...

aw sorry about this>>> i already given my comment previously....

P

Plexx

Had Avast 7 free running on a mid end laptop for nearly a year without a prob, apart from 2 rare cases where a repair did the trick on the 2nd time. Only reently chaned to Panda Antivirus Pro

spleentechie

Jun 25, 2012
I like Avast! more than Avira. I use a XP computer to test AVs and Avast! has proved reliable. Avira is good, but the update problems and the fact that it uses 5 processes(to Avast!'s 2) makes Avast! my choice between the two

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
my experience, use avira to clean infected machines or on a system that doesnt browse the web and use AVAST on systems that you want protection/prevention.

midix

Aug 5, 2012
Two years ago I had a problem with avast free: it detected that some virus is trying to overwrite some system files, and avast showed a warning, but could not stop it from happening. So my network driver got overwritten by some virus (there was even a Windows System file protection message popping up for a moment, but it got closed by the virus). I scanned my PC with avast and it seemed to remove the virus, but a week later I discovered that the virus has been using my PC as a spam bot. Then I tried to restore the network driver from Windows CD using sfc /scannow, and next time I booted, I got BSOD. So I had to do a full clean Windows reinstall.

After this problem, out of curiosity I ran the same virus on the same Windows version in a VirtualBox with Avira Free installed, and Avira not only warned about the virus but also prevented it from infecting the network driver (I checked file changes with a file/registry monitoring utilities).

Maybe avast is great for various free features, but since the incident I am using avira (with nag screens disabled).

If avast 2012 has something better to offer for realtime prevention than two years ago, I might return to it, but still I'm hesitating. It just seems so wrong that avast detected the virus, warned me about it but could not stop it from infecting critical system files and could not remove it fully.

P

Plexx

midix said:
Maybe avast is great for various free features, but since the incident I am using avira (with nag screens disabled).

Could I ask about the nag screen disabled? I know about the toolbar trick.

midix

Aug 5, 2012
Biozfear said:
Could I ask about the nag screen disabled?

Here you go:

1. Go to the Control Panel
2. Open the Administrative tools and then open "Local Security Policy".
3. Highlight Software Restriction Policy on the left side.
4. Then right-click "additional rules" on the right side and pick "new path rule"
5. Click the Browse button and find the avnotify.exe fle. It should be in the folder C:\Program Files\(Avira)\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\
6. In the drop-down below, select "Disallowed", and then click your way back to the desktop via the Apply and OK buttons.

I have used this method on Windows XP and 7.

There are two problems though
- Windows Home editions do not have Local Security Policy control. Maybe there is some 3rd party tool to stop avnotify.exe from executing
- on the new Avira 12 sometimes still there are some nag screens, but they appear maybe once in one or two months and they are much more discrete (just baloons near the taskbar) than the ones created by avnotify.exe.

P

Plexx

midix said:
Biozfear said:
Could I ask about the nag screen disabled?

Here you go:

1. Go to the Control Panel
2. Open the Administrative tools and then open "Local Security Policy".
3. Highlight Software Restriction Policy on the left side.
4. Then right-click "additional rules" on the right side and pick "new path rule"
5. Click the Browse button and find the avnotify.exe fle. It should be in the folder C:\Program Files\(Avira)\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\
6. In the drop-down below, select "Disallowed", and then click your way back to the desktop via the Apply and OK buttons.

I have used this method on Windows XP and 7.

There are two problems though
- Windows Home editions do not have Local Security Policy control. Maybe there is some 3rd party tool to stop avnotify.exe from executing
- on the new Avira 12 sometimes still there are some nag screens, but they appear maybe once in one or two months and they are much more discrete (just baloons near the taskbar) than the ones created by avnotify.exe.

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I will have to figure it out how to stop avnotify.exe since... I am on Home Premium in my host (testing is done on Professional).

Would a batch script work perhaps? Earth?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
malware medic said:
Avira is better with pc clean up and avast is better for protection

According to what?

Avira's default action is to deny access, whereas with Avast, its default action is to move to chest.

Denying access does not clean up your pc better.
It leaves to malware there waiting for future infections if Avira happens to crash or you have to disable it in order to let a false positive function and at the same time you happen to click on the malware accidentally.

Thanks.:D

malware medic

Oct 6, 2012
Littlebits said:
malware medic said:
Avira is better with pc clean up and avast is better for protection

According to what?

Avira's default action is to deny access, whereas with Avast, its default action is to move to chest.

Denying access does not clean up your pc better.
It leaves to malware there waiting for future infections if Avira happens to crash or you have to disable it in order to let a false positive function and at the same time you happen to click on the malware accidentally.

Thanks.:D
What I meant was Avira has better detection in highly infected PCs and Avast has better real time protection.
According to experience and
http://www.westcoastlabs.com/realTimeTesting/article/?articleID=1
http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/docs/avc_fdt_201203_en.pdf
http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/docs/avc_prot_2012a_en.pdf

Vikas.karn

Apr 4, 2013
I prefer Avira because Avira has better and fast detection rate it has better detection than Avast and can detect about 95% of viruses avast detect only 87% viruses so i prefer Avira

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Vikas.karn said:
I prefer Avira because Avira has better and fast detection rate it has better detection than Avast and can detect about 95% of viruses avast detect only 87% viruses so i prefer Avira

Overall I would think that Avast has a better detection rate, well in the tests I did. Who knows what's changed now.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Based on the changes, there's a fact that Avira have better detection rates before however it became opposite as Avira looks fell behind from Avast in terms on those factors.

Nomad

Verified
Jan 31, 2013
Avira seems to be better at detection of known malware, avast! at prevention of zero day.

However, I prefer Avira, because I use other HIPS and firewall for main prevention, so Avira fits nicely with my security strategy. Basically I use Avira to protect against major malware, and malwarebytes and Online armor to protect against zero-day. This way I have multiple safety nets.

I think that's better than trying to let Avast! do all the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.