Battle AVG, Avast, or COMODO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbpackerfan

Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
I'm killing myself by not being able to decide. Which internet security is better? I'm currently using COMODO, and I'm just curious if there's anything better.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I generally avoid [product] VS [product] as they're never based on real facts but rather peoples own opinions. So on behalf of that, All these products have cons and pros. So my vote is voided for each one of these polls or threads in the past or future. Thanks.

I

illumination

It really comes down to a few factors when picking security for your system, and these few factors consist of your system resources "it's specs" as well as how the user uses the system, and the users capability/knowledge..

I

illumination

As i stated in previous post in this thread, it really comes down to your system,uses and knowledge.. I personally prefer CIS of the 3 choices, it is extremely light on the system, and if you take the time to learn how to adjust it, it will give you exceptional control of your system.

gbpackerfan

Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
thewolfsmith72 said:
As i stated in previous post in this thread, it really comes down to your system,uses and knowledge.. I personally prefer CIS of the 3 choices, it is extremely light on the system, and if you take the time to learn how to adjust it, it will give you exceptional control of your system.

I see a lot of people are hating on AVG.. why?

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
gbpackerfan said:
thewolfsmith72 said:

no one hates avg but there are better products an avg(IS or combined software's together ); they may have better feature to protect the user against zero-days malware, which is the most important feature if you ask me. Both Comodo and Avast have features to fight against zero-day (how efficient they are is another question). AVG only has it's HIDS(similar to HIPS) feature which is not always function.

Don't forget that you have two payed IS(AVG & Avast!) and one for free, so it also comes down if you want free software or not. You can also pay comodo but then you only get 500$ warranty and technical support. If you want to buy a product, buy KIS, worth the money.

The best thing for you to do is to take our advice, collect the mentioned software and try it out in a virtual machine. How you test it is you to you but I suggest you install some clean applications, malware and explore the products features.

I

illumination

gbpackerfan said:
thewolfsmith72 said:

I am not hating on any product, i just prefer CIS of the 3 choices. It is because of my system specs, my uses, and my knowledge that i prefer it.. As many have stated in this thread, a person needs to try them all out for themselves to come to a conclusion!

Nathan Wootton

Level 1
May 25, 2011
McLovin said:
gbpackerfan said:

Because, it's not that good at all, it uses tons of RAM, and so many false positives.

actually when i was using AVG was using that much ram but it did have about 8 running processes, i didn't find no slowdown personally, same for false positives my opinion CIS provides more FP than avg, and they still need to work on there whitelist, still keeps on sandboxing my Logitech, ATI, and VIA audio software ;)

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
just to stir things up i'm going to say CIS 6.

Also I believe it doesn't really matter about the AV it's more of what other security features you have enabled. If you follow some of the systems found in the config section on the forum, you will see what I mean. If you lock down your browser and your common virus portals like java, office, and adobe you will be fine with pretty much any AV. Maybe you should look into some real time scanners like emsisoft of malwarebytes as well.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
gbpackerfan said:
So what anti-virus has the best detection rate?

For me detection rate is useless; this is not a feature that shows how effective it can protect you from malware that is not on the signature list.

Heuristics is more important; you can see this as feature against zero-day malware.

I hope you get my point.

D

Deleted member 178

As Valentin said :

Do you prefer a car that have an anti-collision system (heuristics) or a car having super airbags (detection)? my choice is done ^^

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
AVG even have heuristics?
AVG have it.
In addition to AVG’s multi-layered protection, utilizing signature-based antivirus, heuristics and behavior-based threats detection, AVG 2012 comes with the all-new AVG Accelerator and AVG Advice features as well as additional protection technologies

AVG DETECTION METHODS
The key to AVG’s efficiency in detecting infected files and exploits is the technology’s multiple layers of protection. Files are pre-processed - and those deemed unnecessary for virus analysis are excluded to enable faster scanning.
Signature-based detection
This attempts to match files to known virus signatures - a sequence of bytes known to be characteristic of a specific virus. Detailed analysis is then performed to identify the exact infection.
Polymorphic-based detection
A common method for detecting known viruses, this is used to determine new variants of recognized viruses, even if the new variant behaves differently. This method is particularly effective in the detection of macro viruses and script viruses.
Heuristic-based analysis
The third layer for detecting viruses is heuristic analysis, which looks at the way software behaves in order to identify whether or not it is malicious. This allows it to detect a virus, which is not included in the internal virus database.
Behavior-based analysis
This is the fourth layer for detecting viruses. This patent-pending technology looks at how software behaves to determine hostile file behavior and preventing their execution.

Sources.
and this,
Sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.