App Review AVG Internet Security - Software Analyzer - ransomware test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Yes, that´s a very good idea. Many thanks!:)
I tested BD antiransowmare against petya, Teslacrypt, locky, (I don't have any CTB-locker sample) which they claim to protect against in the UI of the app
failure rate: 100% :)
missed all of them. Useless even my petya samples were very very old

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Is anyone familiar with the origin of the use of the word petya for petya ransomware? I think of the book Doctor Zhivago and the character Petya every time it is mentioned:confused:. If you don't know who Petya and Tanya is in this book, you just must read the book in the epilogue o_O:(:(:(:(:(

SparkNotes: Dr. Zhivago: Chapter 16: Epilogue

:(:(:(:(:(

These epilogue chapters classify as madness. Tanya and Udaloy :D

D

Deleted member 2913

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
That would be good. I will post the link/video in Comodo Forum.

By the way, how you find CCAV overall?
it blocked 99.999% of ransomwares except MBR-type. Almost a perfect result
however, I disabled all the modules just left autosandbox on, CCAV always used 0.1-2.5% of my CPU in my i7 host machine (avast installed). I was monitoring it for 1 hour, I never saw it dropped to 0%, never. I manually whitelisted all avast folders but no improvement after a few reboots. That's why I uninstalled it
comodo firewall blocked 100% and didn't cause the persistent CPU usage

Werderforever

Level 1
Verified
Aug 8, 2015
I tested BD antiransowmare against petya, Teslacrypt, locky, (I don't have any CTB-locker sample) which they claim to protect against in the UI of the app
failure rate: 100% :)
missed all of them. Useless even my petya samples were very very old

That´s very disappointing for Bitdefender, who has a good name in the Antivirus branch. They promise something and it´s not true. Total useless this tool.

Many thanks again for your help and effort!:):):)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Comodo becuase of its HIPS , almost block everything otherwise ask about their action : )) not surprise

by the way Evjl's Rain is there any finall comparison for these ransomware tests.. ?
what is the final comparison?

No, I disabled Comodo's HIPS. Just sandbox was enabled and the sandbox blocked everything

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
well we just have your test in diffrent topics, it would be great if you create ( of course when you finished your all tests ) a topic for finall results and compare tested products results ... for example creat a Table:

[vendor] [number of malware tested] [blocked]
Comodo ..............20 ........................ 16

hope you got it:D

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
well we just have your test in diffrent topics, it would be great if you create ( of course when you finished your all tests ) a topic for finall results and compare tested products results ... for example creat a Table:

[vendor] [number of malware tested] [blocked]
Comodo ..............20 ........................ 16

hope you got it:D
hmm, I tested them differently. I just counted the number of missed samples but I may consider that when there is nothing else fun to test

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.