Battle AVG vs Avira

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capsule

Thread author
Jun 3, 2014
Hello MT Community !

This discussion is a discussion about AVG & Avira

If you can please, explain why you choose AVG or Avira :)

Reactions: omidomi

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Topic now goes 360 products. But If you want security with these two. I will recommend you Avira Free.
Maybe poor support but their detection rates and behavioral engine is soo good. This is just my opinion :)
What component are you referring to when saying behavioural engine for Avira?

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
For free i would go with Avast or 360 Internet Security or Total Security.

Paid i would use Kaspersky IS.
Kaspersky is bad for choose!
its very expensive and make system slow down.
i think a good paid anti virus is Eset or Webroot.

Avira, AVG bad detection
and bad support!

I'm not going to commit on the detection rate since that is based on the users own actions, just because a product doesn't detect a threat doesn't mean that threat will successfully infect that system that is based on the user.

Avira is lighter but has more false positives and basically no support.
AVG is a bit heavier but has less false positives and good support.

Both are ad-supported.

Better options would be Avast free, MSE or Panda Cloud free.

Enjoy!! :D
MSE???????????????????????????????????????????

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Advanced Heuristics Analysis and Detection (AHeAD) algorithm is used in Avira Free.
Heuristics and Behavioral Blocking are not the same. If the Heuristics engine doesn't think a file looks like malware, it won't do anything when it behaves like malware, because that would be the the job of the Behavioral Blocker, not present in Avira as far as I know.

Secondmineboy

Level 26
Verified
May 25, 2014
They will give out a new xVDF Database in their next version.

Attachments

• Avira Beta.PNG
    Avira Beta.PNG
    17 KB · Views: 443

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Kaspersky is bad for choose!
its very expensive and make system slow down.
i think a good paid anti virus is Eset or Webroot.

and bad support!

MSE???????????????????????????????????????????

Microsoft Security Essentials or Windows Defender on Win8 has many advantages over other AV's.

1. Will provide excellent protection for cautious users.
2. Will not conflict with Windows or other software and does not have to be tweaked.
3. Does not have false positives (false positive detection can cause more problems than an actual malware infection)
4. Integrates with Windows Firewall.
5. Free with no ads or bundled adware.

No AV does well with zero-day malware in spite of what AV testing sites may suggest, user actions when downloading files and UAC is the best protection. If UAC is utilized with good online habits, then Microsoft Security Essentials or Windows Defender will not fail you.
It is a simple solution that will work for cautious users. For reckless users there is no hope, no matter which AV and security products that they use, they will always have infections until they learn. A limited user account on Windows is their best protection.

Reactions: yigido

zfactor

Level 1
Jun 4, 2014
between them avira hands down. avg is not terrible but just average. imo avg support is not great at all. i have contacts at avira and tend to get things done pretty quickly. i worked with stephan to get the issue with not being able to use the older lic's on newer products resolved so they changed the whole policy on that so i would not say avira has terrible support at all. in working through some issues avira has in fact been really good to work with. now for the normal person sending support a general issue im not sure. also i actually like avira's gui. i hate most of the new flashy ones i much prefer the more simple laid out ones.

phyniks

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Nov 17, 2013
Microsoft Security Essentials or Windows Defender on Win8 has many advantages over other AV's.

1. Will provide excellent protection for cautious users.
2. Will not conflict with Windows or other software and does not have to be tweaked.
3. Does not have false positives (false positive detection can cause more problems than an actual malware infection)
4. Integrates with Windows Firewall.
5. Free with no ads or bundled adware.

No AV does well with zero-day malware in spite of what AV testing sites may suggest, user actions when downloading files and UAC is the best protection. If UAC is utilized with good online habits, then Microsoft Security Essentials or Windows Defender will not fail you.
It is a simple solution that will work for cautious users. For reckless users there is no hope, no matter which AV and security products that they use, they will always have infections until they learn. A limited user account on Windows is their best protection.

What is your Antivirus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.