Backup tool for ALL your browsers! Hekasoft Backup & Restore (Updated!)

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
The author of the program is having problems posting a reply to you. He emailed me directly. Here is what he said:

Yes I've read the message but I don't know why I can't reply, the reply form is white and I can't write (I've put a like under his message, and I was trying to reply). I will try with another browser or clearing the cache, but I did not had time yet.

I'll write you the answer, if you wish to reply for me.

The issue is related to all Chrome based browser, Chrome changed a few settings, to prevent that the settings can be stolen, and to force users to backup & restore them synchronizing them online.

The issue involve plugins and passwords (as far as I know bookmarks are not involved) but I will check again.

As for plugins, I solved registering them one by one after the restore, so to the browser will seem to have just downloaded them.

As for passwords, actually, there is still no solution, but I'm trying to solve this issue too.

In any case, Hekasoft Backup & Restore, backup all the settings of the browser, but for Chrome based browsers the issue is with the restore, because the browser will remove any settings restored by a 3rd party software.

Best regards,

Claudio

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018

The issue is related to all Chrome based browser, Chrome changed a few settings, to prevent that the settings can be stolen, and to force users to backup & restore them synchronizing them online.

The issue involve plugins and passwords (as far as I know bookmarks are not involved) but I will check again.

As for plugins, I solved registering them one by one after the restore, so to the browser will seem to have just downloaded them.

As for passwords, actually, there is still no solution, but I'm trying to solve this issue too.

In any case, Hekasoft Backup & Restore, backup all the settings of the browser, but for Chrome based browsers the issue is with the restore, because the browser will remove any settings restored by a 3rd party software.

Best regards,

Claudio
A workaround I've seen to manually back up *portable* Chromium browser profiles is to run the browser with the command line
Code:
--disable-machine-id
which is supposed to prevent Chromium from locking the profile to a specific computer. I have not had a chance to test it myself.

Hekasoft

From Hekasoft
Verified
Developer
May 20, 2020
A workaround I've seen to manually back up *portable* Chromium browser profiles is to run the browser with the command line
Code:
--disable-machine-id
which is supposed to prevent Chromium from locking the profile to a specific computer. I have not had a chance to test it myself.
Thank you, I will check if I can use this workaround to solve the issue

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
The author of the program is having problems posting a reply to you. He emailed me directly. Here is what he said:

Yes I've read the message but I don't know why I can't reply, the reply form is white and I can't write (I've put a like under his message, and I was trying to reply). I will try with another browser or clearing the cache, but I did not had time yet.

I'll write you the answer, if you wish to reply for me.

Best regards,

Claudio

Ok, thank you!

I would be nice if he could solve it, if this program is functioning for Brave it would be worth donating to.

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
I don't know why my last reply was not accepted, maybe for the wikipedia link.
Anyway, what part of the name is suspicious? hekasoft?
I like ancient Egypt, and heka means magic.
I'm italian and in Italy "heka" doesn't mean nothing, in other languages means something?
And you would think that I would have known that! lol ;)

Reactions: Protomartyr

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.